BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Mexico to retaliate against U.S. expats?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 04:47 PM
Mexico to retaliate against U.S. expats?

I just read this article alleging that Mexican members of Congress have proposed legislation to confiscate property owned by U.S. citizens in Mexico. I have no idea whether or not this is true, but it does suggest the possibility of retaliation against Trump's executive orders with matching draconian actions. Has anyone heard of this?

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
I just read this article alleging that Mexican members of Congress have proposed legislation to confiscate property owned by U.S. citizens in Mexico. I have no idea whether or not this is true, but it does suggest the possibility of retaliation against Trump's executive orders with matching draconian actions. Has anyone heard of this?

If trump forces Mexico to pay for his wall, in a way that Mexico finds to be illegal, it would be fair in some books for Mexico to take over USA assets in Mexico, I.e. Assets of USA citizens or corporations. Just saying. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Trump is a loose canon, he will endanger Americans in many ways.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:02 PM

Please don't publish crap like this here....or anywhere, Paul. It's like yelling fire in a theatre. It hasn't happened, and I sincerely doubt it ever will.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Trump is a loose canon, he will endanger Americans in many ways.

As will your big effing mouth. You have nothing here and less to loose, so stay out of it.

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Please don't publish crap like this here....or anywhere, Paul. It's like yelling fire in a theatre. It hasn't happened, and I sincerely doubt it ever will.

Hey Paul -- Dennis is not the censor here and has over stayed his welcome. Yesterday he was trying to censor me as being too dramatic. Relative to what? How about the Washington fiasco -- that's drama.

Seriously Dennis -- chill and depersonalize the political stuff. You can always move back to Newport.

And Paul? This stuff is circulating in response to the new prez pu$$ygrabber's insistence that MX will pay for a wall. Things can change overnight you just don't know.

Gringoes owning land in Baja should be aware that they have no rights in Baja and Napoleonic Rule applies if you're white.

Let's all hope for the best. I do this and expect the worst politically speaking.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:23 PM

Kind of hard to stomach that a citizen of the powerful United States of America can be simply collateral damage, isn't it? And, "As will your big effing mouth. You have nothing here and less to loose, so stay out of it" goes, Republican'ts have a reputation for giving orders and not letting the 1st Amendment work without invoking the 2nd Amendment as a codicil.
Who says arrogance isn't bliss? :P

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:28 PM

Sounds like fake news, but then again, the USA isn't the only country to have crazy politicians.

So it's not that far fetched to believe some Mexican politicians talked about retaliating against Trump's crazy plans to get Mexico to pay for the wall, especially if they were drinking before they said it.

I would not panic until I heard the same thing in the main stream media, on either side of the border, and knew for a fact there was proposed legislation actually written and before Mexican Congress.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:28 PM

Yup....we are all shaking in our boots, we are packing up. What we can't take with us we will destroy.......yup, all 500,000 or 1 million of us
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:29 PM

look who this article is published by....cuencahighlife! an ad for "Ecuador living" while trying to spark fear in the hearts of US expats in Mexico. Wasn't there another thread/post a few days ago on this forum that was also connected to cuenca?

imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 05:38 PM

If you read the whole article, it seems clear that this article is slanted toward comparing the liberal immigration policies of Equador, to poor 'ol Mexico. As always, it's important to consider the news source. Does this author have an agenda? His articles seem to be sales oriented.

[Edited on 2-4-2017 by imlost]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:06 PM

In fairness, I did take pains to include the disclaimer that I didn't know if this "news" was true or not. That said, it does prompt some pertinent discussion, including the time-honored maxim to not invest more in Mexico than you're willing to leave behind.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:19 PM

In 1932, during his first inaugural address, FDR said..."the Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”

Good advice then and good advice now. Deal with facts, not rumors or fear mongers.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:49 PM

Amen!!!

I don't see this happening considering the number of foreign citizens in Mexico...let alone Baja.

Thanks for your insight DENNIS!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

Hey Paul -- Dennis is not the censor here and has over stayed his welcome. Yesterday he was trying to censor me as being too dramatic. Relative to what? How about the Washington fiasco -- that's drama.

Seriously Dennis -- chill and depersonalize the political stuff. You can always move back to Newport.

And Paul? This stuff is circulating in response to the new prez pu$$ygrabber's insistence that MX will pay for a wall. Things can change overnight you just don't know.

Gringoes owning land in Baja should be aware that they have no rights in Baja and Napoleonic Rule applies if you're white.

Let's all hope for the best. I do this and expect the worst politically speaking.
Last time I looked, Napoleonic Law ruled here no matter what color you are.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 06:56 PM

It sure sounds more like a distasteful joke, rather than news...
"Three members of the Mexican congress, one small-handed baby and a Russian autocrat enter a bar, and the small-handed baby says...
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:04 PM

In fairness, I did take pains to include the disclaimer that I didn't know if this "news" was true or not. That said, it does prompt some pertinent discussion, including the time-honored maxim to not invest more in Mexico than you're willing to leave behind.

This article showed up this past week followed by a spirited discussion. I stated I didn't read anything slanted -- and not an advertise for Cuenca. Who the heck wants to live in Ecuador anyway? If you're looking for a liberal government seemingly foreigner friend, this might be the place. Costa Rica comes to mind too.

I believe in the old adage that ''where there's smoke there's fire.'' If the prez keeps on stirring the pot like he's done, MX, I believe, will retaliate. Don't know how but Nieto isn't going to lose face in this scenario.

As for time honored maxim's, walking away from an investment is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. How much money are we talking about?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
In 1932, during his first inaugural address, FDR said..."the Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”

I thought that was Custer's last quote!

He was also surrounded by angry locals. :lol:

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  

This article showed up this past week followed by a spirited discussion. I stated I didn't read anything slanted -- and not an advertise for Cuenca. Who the heck wants to live in Ecuador anyway? If you're looking for a liberal government seemingly foreigner friend, this might be the place. Costa Rica comes to mind too.

I believe in the old adage that ''where there's smoke there's fire.'' If the prez keeps on stirring the pot like he's done, MX, I believe, will retaliate. Don't know how but Nieto isn't going to lose face in this scenario.

As for time honored maxim's, walking away from an investment is the stupidest thing I ever heard of. How much money are we talking about?

Trump is not popular among US residents let alone other nationals. His approach is not popular but he is pandering to the base that managed to promote his election. Unfortunately, under many scenarios, this isn't going to be pretty or smooth. Best case, it opens the eyes of the US population that has been cruising through recent history. Where are moderate patriots?

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
imlost
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:40 PM

There is currently an estimated 32-35 million international tourists to Mexico each year. I doubt Mexico is going to want to disrupt that flow of income. There are also many of us who pay property tax to Mexico every year - Mexico wants our steady flow money. It seems counter-intuitive that they would confiscate our property or add liens. What use is our property to them? They want our wallets to continually open, and for the money to continually pour out. Again, consider the source of the "news".
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2017 at 07:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
There is currently an estimated 32-35 million international tourists to Mexico each year. I doubt Mexico is going to want to disrupt that flow of income. There are also many of us who pay property tax to Mexico every year - Mexico wants our steady flow money. It seems counter-intuitive that they would confiscate our property or add liens. What use is our property to them? They want our wallets to continually open, and for the money to continually pour out. Again, consider the source of the "news".

I'm hopeful that EPN will resist his desire to save face and will consider a trusted source of revenue from the saner elements of the U.S.. A bully ignored is stripped of its power, especially when there are so many other shiny objects to choose from. Mexico was a convenient scapegoat during the campaign, but now that Trump has picked bigger fights, is it too optimistic to think that The Wall could end up on the back burner?

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.