Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Avocados ?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 01:03 PM

Success! I only bought the Avos with a stem bud. One was easily movable the other not movable. The movable one I opened right away and is really fine! made quesadillas with graded cheddar, green onions, avocado and my favorite hot sauce, Tiger Sauce. Oh, a bit of garlic salt.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 01:55 PM

Good call Russ. So many avocados that are called "Hass" are either seedlings or varieties like Carmen Hass, Leaven's Hass, Lamb Hass, Sir Prize, or GEM. All named varieties are commercially grown, but attempting to appeal to consumers who are conditioned to the known Hass variety. All are black skinned when mature, and can be quite good. The small stem piece is essential to keep avocados from rotting from top down and it also is a great indicator of the avocado quality. Many Mexican growers pull the fruit off the tree without cutting and leaving that stem piece. Of the 50 or so varieties of avocados I grow, the real Hass is still the best. Some varieties are bigger, some have a peel that falls off, there are different maturity dates, yet I still prefer the Hass even when others are available. Glad you finally got a good avocado.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 02:37 PM

That link gave a LOT of information, Russ.

Bacon Avocado sounds quite heavenly :biggrin:

Your avo looks really beautiful, success!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 04:53 PM

To me, those dont look like the flesh of the true Hass. The green flesh seems too light and the white flesh not yellow enough. But I'm no expert.

What do you think, Jack?

I cut into mine today. No nub on the fruit. Light is a bit of a weird color. Maybe this one isnt a true Hass, either.

DSC_1051.JPG - 156kB
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 06:18 PM

Pretty good photographs showing color, shape, seed cavity, etc. on this site. http://ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/VarietyFrame.html#Anch...

Click on the name of the avocado for illustrations and other info.

Hook, looks too light in color to me. So how was the taste?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 08:49 PM

Reed avocados are round, have a high oil content, and have a high 'meat' vs. seed ratio. Makes a great bowl being round. Sadly, marketing dictates that avocados must be pear shaped. So, the Reed variety is not found in most markets.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2017 at 09:28 PM

I think the oil content was a little lower than I expected. But I have another still ripening.

Can oil content change, depending on when it was picked or how long you let it ripen after buying?

The photo doesn't do it justice. I will try another with the next one.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 12:39 PM

Here ya go Russ this outta make finding them ripe avis easier, Personally I dont see how it could work but WTH:coolup:

AAmVoMz.img.png - 200kB

[Edited on 2-16-2017 by blackwolfmt]

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 04:35 PM

Bought another one yesterday with the stem still attached and opened it today. About 1/4 was going black but I did have enough for chips, for one. I have noticed that the last 3 just didn't have the rich taste I look forward to. I use to mix a little mayo in too but with the milder flavor that would hide the flavor. I think they are picking them a bit early. I'm now not buying any avos without the stem. When I remove the stem today it was greed underneath.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I think the oil content was a little lower than I expected. But I have another still ripening. Can oil content change, depending on when it was picked or how long you let it ripen after buying?

Ah, oil content. Nothing like a properly grown Hass avocado picked at the peak balance of oil, sugar and moisture.

Yes, how it is grown, when it was harvested, how it was harvested, transported, cooled, stored and shipped all matter. Dry matters too and avocados balance of dry matter and oil changes after harvest, albeit at a much slower rate than fruit left hanging on the tree.

We have sold tens of thousands of boxes of avocados from Ca, Mex, Chile and Peru over the years. Right now the avocados from Mexico suck.

My best guess for that would be improper irrigation management, probably due to inadequate irrigation infrastructure across the avocado growing regions in Mexico, These regions rely on and usually receive copious rainfall events. It is has been a bit dry in some Mexican growing regions.

Avocados, a sub tropical fruit, require 50 inches of water per acre for optimum growth. That is a lot of water. They can be grown with much less water but optimum growth produces optimum fruit.

Current "drought" conditions in some of the Mexican growing regions have penalized growers without proper irrigation and the orchards suffer. The fruit from those orchards while not the best is nonetheless marketed. Given the seemingly insatiable demand for avocados and avocado oil and the cash returns back to growers who can blame them.

In the end, it is the consumers demand for avocados year round which drives the problem. Every region has its peak and the peaks of avocado taste do not overlap seamlessly from region to region. Pick too early, not enough oil, pick too late cannot get the fruit to market in condition.

Like many said here, it is a gamble selecting avocados at the market. Stems attached, hard green fruit placed in a paper bag with an apple to help ripen it and the trend is your friend. If they have been good lately, go for it. If bad, don't expect change overnight.

We used to say the avocados were getting good because the dogs were getting fat and shiny. Right now, 635 am in Dana Point CA it is blowing SSE 18 mph, gusting 25 mph, BP is 29.54 and falling slowly. My guess is the CA avo growers are going to get hit pretty hard today and tomorrow. Lots of windfalls coming and fat, shiny dogs on the way.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 01:03 PM

Well said, Don Jorge.

I've been in the avocado growing areas between Pátzcuaro and Uruapan in the state of Michoacán and in the Tenancingo area in the state of México. Both are mountainous. In the Tenancingo area I was with a small group of Mexican growers, not in avocados, but in greenhouse crops. I was the only Anglo. There were lots of government roadblocks because of reoccurring violence. I used my FM3 as ID and only spoke Spanish to make myself less obvious.

I don't remember seeing irrigation systems in the Tenancingo area. It was misty and rainy when I was there with volunteer avocado trees all over the place along the road and outside the orchards. In other parts of Mexico where local avocados are used I always ask what variety it is. The answer is always the same: "criollo." This usually means the fruit is from a seedling tree and not grafted.

I bought four of the very small-sized avocados at Sprouts on Tuesday, two for the price of one. They were Mexican avocados and ripened fine. I was afraid to buy more. They need to be used quickly.

This morning I bought a five-pack at Costco. They are from Chile. I'll see how they ripen. I've eaten Chilean avocados in Chile, and they were excellent.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 05:58 PM

You are right, the Chilean avocados are tasty, but the Mexican avocados have a little less moisture content and seem to work better at making guacamole.

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
Well said, Don Jorge.

I've been in the avocado growing areas between Pátzcuaro and Uruapan in the state of Michoacán and in the Tenancingo area in the state of México. Both are mountainous. In the Tenancingo area I was with a small group of Mexican growers, not in avocados, but in greenhouse crops. I was the only Anglo. There were lots of government roadblocks because of reoccurring violence. I used my FM3 as ID and only spoke Spanish to make myself less obvious.

I don't remember seeing irrigation systems in the Tenancingo area. It was misty and rainy when I was there with volunteer avocado trees all over the place along the road and outside the orchards. In other parts of Mexico where local avocados are used I always ask what variety it is. The answer is always the same: "criollo." This usually means the fruit is from a seedling tree and not grafted.

I bought four of the very small-sized avocados at Sprouts on Tuesday, two for the price of one. They were Mexican avocados and ripened fine. I was afraid to buy more. They need to be used quickly.

This morning I bought a five-pack at Costco. They are from Chile. I'll see how they ripen. I've eaten Chilean avocados in Chile, and they were excellent.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:02 PM

Low 20's Pesos per kilo. I remember they used to sell for 12-17 Pesos, but I have not seen low 20 Pesos unless I buy a case at Mercado Hidalgo in Tijuana.
The Mexican mercado prices have been in the mid 30 peso to 44 Peso per kilo in the last year. (most recently at $44 Peso for the large Haas in the last few weeks.)

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Quote: Originally posted by surfhat  
Thanks Botanico for the tutorial. I have been buying avos at Costco lately, as they beat all others price wise over the last few months.

I got a batch from Peru that had problems ripening and when I asked the next time after getting some compensation for the bad ones, I was told these and been been sprayed with something? that slowed the ripening process.

At the same time some others from Mexico were fine and had not used this spray. Whatever this chemical is, I have a feeling Costco will not be allowing that source to continue. It sounded like I was not the only one who had trouble with that particular source and now I now why. Thanks to all here.

Yeah, one thing I have noticed about the Mexican avos we get around here is how fast they ripen from solid, light green to black. That used to be 7 days in the States. Down here, it seems to be 4 days.

We bought some monster green ones as Ley this week for 35p/kilo. These look like premium Fallbrook avos. Not the greatest prices right now, it can get into the low 20s.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 12:19 PM

Love the reed avocado. Lots of oil. Only drawback is a slight lack of sugar, but the extra buttery taste and texture more than makes up for it. In the last 20 years, I have only seen reeds in a supermarket twice. Farmers markets have them sometimes. My policy is to buy them if and when I see them anywhere at any time.

I planted a small "Holiday" avocado tree at my place in Orange County, Ca. Doesn't need an a companion tree to yield fruit. It is supposedly a dwarf type. It's about 14 ft high now and has yielded fruit for the last 3 years. Really big fruit with good peeling skin. First year fruit was tasteless and watery. 2nd year's fruit was slightly better. Third year fruit started to revert to first year fruit poor quality. However, every now and then a get a good fruit that is even a little buttery, but most don't ripen well; that is, part of the fruit ripens and the other half stays as hard as a rock. ??? Wish I knew how to fix it.

The best avocados that I have ever eaten were given to me by a fellow employee about 40 years ago from his private little orchard. They were big Fuertes. Thin skin but decent peel. The most buttery and flavorful avocadoes that I have ever eaten. Still vividly remember them as I ate two of them at a Rolling Stone concert at Anaheim Stadium in Ca.

Fuertes from the supermarkets are rarely any good. So, it must be something in the growing process that makes a difference. Sure wish I knew what that was.

[Edited on 2-19-2017 by MitchMan]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.