Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Milke's to Rancho Meling to Observatorio
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 11:56 AM

Hi guys. Looks like conflicting reports. PaulW saying there is a new bypass route. Anyone else can confirm? Looking to do this solo next month to the national park. I have F & R lockers, 12k winch, and fully armored front and rear Land Cruiser which I think is capable, but would rather not do anything too crazy by myself.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 12:20 PM

Drove it May 14th. You wont have a problem.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2017 at 12:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BooJumMan  
Hi guys. Looks like conflicting reports. PaulW saying there is a new bypass route. Anyone else can confirm? Looking to do this solo next month to the national park. I have F & R lockers, 12k winch, and fully armored front and rear Land Cruiser which I think is capable, but would rather not do anything too crazy by myself.

=== =
The new bypass was built when the traditional road was impassable. Since then SCORE has used the traditional road. Now you should have two choices. Either should work fine.
kaisersoza

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 12:56 PM

Thinking of going this way after the 1000. Maybe on Friday. Still in good shape?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 01:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by kaisersoza  
Thinking of going this way after the 1000. Maybe on Friday. Still in good shape?

Not at all... and I love four wheeling.
At El Coyote, going to Mike's, I was warned it was not passable (except by motorcycles)... I had to look for myself.
Almost right away the deep dips and washouts from last winter's rains really were interesting! I was in a 4WD Off Road TRD Tacoma, mild lift, slightly larger than stock tires.
I got 3.7 miles from El Coyote, just after a steep boulder climb (on that new bypass road) and I had a brake issue, unrelated to the road, and turned back to El Coyote. I was told I hadn't even reached the "tough part" yet.

Please report what you find!

See location labeled "FAIL" on my GPS track map>>>

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 02:51 PM

Their should be another route as discussed on this forum last year
Did Mike from Coyote say that alternate new road was ruined?
I say this because the new road was built to bypass the traditional roads the were ruined last year.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 04:14 PM

Yes, Michael was great source of info at El Coyote. He was the one who said there is only the one road to Mike's and that was what I was on. When I came back, he said I hadn't even reached the bad part, yet. Nobody is running a dozer through there anymore.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, Michael was great source of info at El Coyote. He was the one who said there is only the one road to Mike's and that was what I was on. When I came back, he said I hadn't even reached the bad part, yet. Nobody is running a dozer through there anymore.

Sounds like a challenge. Wish I could head down instead of being stuck at work.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Sounds like a challenge. Wish I could head down instead of being stuck at work.

A Jeep like yours would be fun to try it in! Piece of cake, probably. The Tacoma is just too long with too shallow a departure angle. Those 3 + miles were worse than the Pole Line Road (as far as ease of driving goes).

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:45 PM

Time for the adventures troopers to go for it.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 05:58 PM

I regret not taking photos of the dips and the boulder climb!

kaisersoza

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 08:42 PM

10 4. Will probably take a look but will be solo (only 1 truck) so wont be to daring. Will report back.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 09:51 PM

I regret not taking photos of the dips and the boulder climb!

Larry (BajaTrailRider) and I talked at length about this trail on Sunday while in Ensenada. He told me that it was now a Moto route and no longer suitable for 4x4s. I drove around the boulder on my way out from Mike's back in 2003 and my 4x4 Ranger with open differentials nearly me slid off the cliff (according to my spotter). I heard that the boulder is long gone, and the adventure quotent is way up. I will take Larry's word and leave it to the Motos.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 10:18 PM

lets give Harald a shot at it! :P
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2017 at 11:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
lets give Harald a shot at it! :P

Great idea!
4x4abc is not stopped by very much.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:48 AM

The lower road has been closed by Melings relative. The upper one that David went on. Moto / side x side/ Jeep like Eds and Kens good to go. LWB truck like Tacoma or my Nissan 4x4 will get damaged if your lucky you may make it. The only other route from going up paved road from coyote. Turn Lt at dirt road to Dark Skies and La Joya rancho again this route. Not good for 4x4 pick ups bad ass jeeps yes. Any 4x4 nuts want to try can meet you at Coyotes. Still waiting for David and Ken to set up new 4x4 run. As I have many routes not on maps or GPS.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info on the Moto only Route. Any possibility pictures available to determine if my rig will make the grade?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2017 at 04:25 PM

I turned around after my brake fail which was on a small, low-range, 4×4 grade, just under 4 miles from El Coyote towards Mike's. If the brakes didn't break, I would have creeped on. When I got back to El Coyote, Michael Diogo (who lives there) said I hadn't even reached the 'bad' grade, yet.

I suggest very modified, lifted, large-tire wearing short wheelbase 4x4s only try and please let us know how it was.

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 08:08 AM

I rode up to Coyotes on my Bike just for the day.4 mis adventure bikes there asked If they could make it. I was kind told them I would not try it on those bikes. They replied we shall see they came back in 30 min nice damage to bikes broken saddle bags/ shift lever/ one now needs new clutch. And thing bigger then jeep hard core if your alone. Ask Mike in back Coyote to trail behind you on his bike. Just to be on safe side. Have other Amigos that did sort of made it from Mikes to Coyote. In 1985 or 86 4 runner beater. They did get Hi centered on boulder, Lucky 10 bikers came along Got them going again. The 4 runner did suffer body damage but it was rolled already so no worry. It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they where loose anyway. I should be camping up there about Dec 7 on. If any die hards want to give it a go. We could spot you and guild.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2017 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
I rode up to Coyotes on my Bike just for the day.4 mis adventure bikes there asked If they could make it. I was kind told them I would not try it on those bikes. They replied we shall see they came back in 30 min nice damage to bikes broken saddle bags/ shift lever/ one now needs new clutch. And thing bigger then jeep hard core if your alone. Ask Mike in back Coyote to trail behind you on his bike. Just to be on safe side. Have other Amigos that did sort of made it from Mikes to Coyote. In 1985 or 86 4 runner beater. They did get Hi centered on boulder, Lucky 10 bikers came along Got them going again. The 4 runner did suffer body damage but it was rolled already so no worry. It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they where loose anyway. I should be camping up there about Dec 7 on. If any die hards want to give it a go. We could spot you and guild.

"It also suffered rear brake backing plate broken bolts. I'm sure they were loose anyway."

On my Tacoma, the two 'bolts' are welded to the backing plate which secures the lower end to the shoes. It is these 'bolts' that broke free of the backing plate that caused my brake fail there. Very interesting!

Failed side. Bolts and plate they secure were loose. Wiggled when grabbed.

Good side, bolts pointed out. No movement when grabbed.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.