Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OK Its midnight and I can't find what I need
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 12:38 AM
OK Its midnight and I can't find what I need

Have been searching the net for 2 hrs looking for any recent info on cell phones in Rocky Point (yes I know, not Baja but I figure someone here has all the answers)
Agreed to go down first week next month with friends and would like to have connection for aged Stepmother just in case.
Any ideas how to make it work?
Most everything I find is several years old.
I've got a GSM unlocked phone and could probably get a sim card I guess like we did in Australia but I don't know how she would get a hold of us if she needed to.
Any ideas greatly appreciated

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 04:15 AM

I know this isn't exactly the information you're looking for, but I thought I'd share some thoughts. I use my US Sprint phone in Rocky Point and it works perfect down there. Rocky Point has an online forum (rockypointtalk.com), you can search that forum for your answer, or possibly post your question there.

A little off topic, and in all respects to our stepmother, I don't know her state of health, but there was a thread on rockypointtalk.com about a year ago (you may want to search for it on their forum if you're interested) about a guy who took his father down there who had end stage cancer. Can't remember all the exact details of the thread, but in general he took his dad down there for the weekend, unfortunately his father died down there unexpectedly, then he ran into a lot of problems with the legal system. Fortunately I believe he had paperwork from his current physician stating he was was sick and he knew a local lawyer, but the local police did arrive and wanted to charge him with murder and take him to jail until they figured things out (people forget Mexico is still a guilty until proven innocent country). But I believe fortunately his lawyer was able to stop the process before it got too far. Then transporting the body back to the States was another story, Mexico has strict laws regarding that. I thought it was a very interesting thread, a lot of information I'd never thought about.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:25 AM

My unlocked iPhone now has AT&T service which works seamlessly in Mexico. Prior to AT&T, I used to buy (and refill) SIMS cards from MexicoSimCards.com. Super easy to use. Once you have the card, then you just refill it for subsequent trips. You can add talk and data. And whenever I had a question, they were super fast answering my email. Good people.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:51 AM

There is always the internet. Almost everyplace has wi-fi. Very easy to stay connected
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 12:52 PM

Well the internet might be the way to go as my wife emails her brother everyday who lives right near her Mother I'll ask her.

Thanks for the thoughts on the health issue in Mexico but "Mom' is staying here stateside but being 97 my wife worries about her.

I also read somewhere about a place called Max's Cafe that has free calls to the USA if you're eating there. Gotta find where that is.

This is a great forum- THANKS!

ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 01:14 PM

Max's is across the street from the Penasco del Sol hotel, you can't miss it. If you google Penasco del Sol you should be able to get directions. There are a few restaurants in Rocky Point that offer free calls to the US if you eat there.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 01:22 PM

97! Thats cool. My dad is 92 and although he gave up golf last year he still lets me drag him down to Baja. Have fun.:saint:

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Well the internet might be the way to go as my wife emails her brother everyday who lives right near her Mother I'll ask her.

Thanks for the thoughts on the health issue in Mexico but "Mom' is staying here stateside but being 97 my wife worries about her.

I also read somewhere about a place called Max's Cafe that has free calls to the USA if you're eating there. Gotta find where that is.

This is a great forum- THANKS!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 03:03 PM

Ya, she's still up and walking. Got 2 other WWII buddies that one is 98 and one is 99. Both still moving around.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.