BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: The natives are getting angry ?
FelizCanadian

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 04:25 AM
The natives are getting angry ?

Hello nomads
I'm new to the site , but I know a few people who use it regularly. My wife and I retired to Loreto a few years ago to live our dream. We love the town, people, weather and everything it has to offer. Until lately, we have notice more hostility to "gringos". My wife was verbally accosted while driving, and I was insulted at the market as well. We think it's because of Trump winning or the peso losing steam against all currencies. Not sure , but theft has increased:, 4 murders in a month, and alarming amount of drug use which we were unaware existed until recently.

Any other foreigners care to chime in?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 08:24 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, FC.
I'm left with a first impression that your inquiry is somewhat overloaded for a first post. It kinda has that trolling quality to it, so I'll leave it for someone else.
Do you have any Nomad references?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 08:25 AM

There has been nothing that I am aware of in my town in Sonora. But at this time of year, gringos make up close to 50% of the inhabitants. The town is very dependent on the gringo dollars. So, I think that mutes any criticism. So many Mexicans speak English here, so we can talk to them about the political situation in the US.

My feeling is that local leaders need to be made to understand that people arent responsible for the actions of their leaders, in most cases. That should be easy for them to understand, given the history of Mexican politics. This goes for the price of oil, the value of the currency, etc.

What we gringos CAN control is the amount we put into the local economy. If we begin to feel threatened, then we will spend less and less time and money here. The locals will feel it much more than we will, as many of us have homes we can return to. Or, we will begin to vacation in other countries.

I am sympathetic to their frustration over the skyrocketing cost of fuel and the resulting inflation in everything else. But turning their anger on us will be counterproductive to their well-being. I dont see the growing middle class in Mexico, that was so evident only a few years back, replacing us any time soon.

Somehow, your local leaders need to be made aware of all this. We are good neighbors. We arent involved in crime, we keep clean surroundings, we employ lots of people, we are generous with our good fortune, when it comes to the needy.

And we are as exasperated with our governance as they are with theirs.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 08:28 AM

zingggggggggggggggg....Hook-up?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 08:34 AM

You're suspicious of EVERYTHING, Dennis, and quick to the accusation. That's been apparent for a long time.

Or, maybe you'd care to comment on my post, as I am not a troll.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 09:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

My feeling is that local leaders need to be made to understand that people arent responsible for the actions of their leaders, in most cases. And we are as exasperated with our governance as they are with theirs.

It is completely understandable if Mexican Nationals are
are confused, bitter as to how they have been characterized
by what they hear coming out of the US. What else are they
to think? The guy was
elected, to a great degree the US voters ARE responsible for this unacceptable environment. While
some/most of us are embarrassed, there are a heck of a lot
that aren't'. I can't imagine it, but I'm sure his
supporters are behind him, maybe applauding him. This will
be a long 3 yrs 49 weeks left, but who's counting. The OP' s
post appears to be too well written to be anything but legit

[Edited on 2-7-2017 by sancho]
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 09:33 AM

FelizCanadian,

We have had a vacation home in Loreto since 1990. I spend a fair amount of time there these days. The town has certainly changed since we first came, however for a long time now there have been issues with insults, drugs, and rampant theft. Loreto has had a big drug issue for many years, and the theft issue is out of control. I am sure the Trump Effect will cause some locals to lash out at the Gringo's, but I don't believe things have are all that different.....

Just be vigilant and use common sense.....Enjoy the town!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 09:48 AM

It is ironic that American citizens are starting to feel the wrath of being "unwanted foreigners" at their winter homes in Mexico...feeling dispossessed in a neighbour's country.

Guys like D. will only consider speaking to white christian males in his SOB digs....other Trump devotees chirp in with their NOB views defending their illustrious leader's gaffs...while others fan the flames of Americans as victims...

My experience with Mexican locals varies re: their views ....some say Mexican leaders need to clean up the corruption/crime issues and focus on their disappointment in their own leaders....some will put their fingers to their lips as if closing a zipper, indicating passive agreement with anti-Trump sentiments ... and some will politely avoid the conversation ...

Those who are SOB and voted for Trump deserve whatever they get ....and those who did not should voice their opinions clearly as to demonstrate not all gringos are Trumpets...

Don't believe everything you think....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:10 AM

You're suspicious of EVERYTHING, Dennis, and quick to the accusation. That's been apparent for a long time.

Vigilance is a virtue.....not a character flaw. Your effort to dissociate from the possibility of an accurate appraisal shows you agree.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
[

Vigilance is a virtue.....not a character flaw. Your effort to dissociate from the possibility of an accurate appraisal shows you agree.

I get the virtue part....but don't follow the "logic" of the latter statement.

Are you saying that if one distances themself from a "position", it inherently demonstrates their approval of it?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:28 AM

If that's what I wanted to say, that's what I would have said, but i'll take your bait cuz I have a few free moments.

"Or, maybe you'd care to comment on my post, as I am not a troll".......as opposed to the OP.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:31 AM

If that's what I wanted to say, that's what I would have said, but i'll take your bait cuz I have a few free moments.

"Or, maybe you'd care to comment on my post, as I am not a troll".......as opposed to the OP.

No bait....just a query as to your logic....not all questions are a trap :light:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

No bait....just a query as to your logic....not all questions are a trap :light:

Never lose sight of the trapper. :light:

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:01 AM

Dennis, just answer the question....or does your fence-sitting/avoidance suggest that your logic isn't ?

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

This will be a long 3 yrs 49 weeks left, but who's counting.

[Edited on 2-7-2017 by sancho]

7 yrs 49 weeks left, I am. :spingrin:
As the kids say nowadays: FTFY (fixed that for you)

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:14 AM

Dennis, just answer the question....or does your fence-sitting/avoidance suggest that your logic isn't ?

Gibberish is unbecoming. Have you no pride?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:17 AM

Except that I WAS THE ONE THAT GAVE AN ACCURATE APRAISAL of the situation. You punted, in favor of some misguided attempt to what, maintain the reputation of the board against trolls? On the internet? Is this your vigilance you tout?

I think a person who invested in Loreto and is a relative newcomer would pose the same questions he did, without being a troll. What he ends up being remains to be seen.

I addressed the issues. Your paranoia had you punting on first down.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 11:20 AM

Gibberish is unbecoming. Have you no pride?

Dennis,
Stick with your game....it becomes you....as you become it.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 12:03 PM

Dennis is right, and it's especially suspicious when a newbie, with their very first post, makes a very controversial post, when there is no evidence what they claim is even taking place, and their posts could be nothing more than fear mongering, or paranoid thoughts because they perceived a Mexican looked at them the wrong way.

It's one of the reasons why I rarely talk to newbies with less than 50 posts especially when their posts have possible trolling elements, or seem to be engaged in fear mongering, with the possible hope of spreading fear to others, because others take the bait, and the next thing you know mass hysteria is going on!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 12:26 PM

some are just living with hate, fear and suspicion. sad!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.