Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guerrero Negro Whale Watching Questions + Bus question
jay045
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 12:12 PM
Guerrero Negro Whale Watching Questions + Bus question

Hi all, we were planning to head down to GN the weekend of 2/17 and had some newbie questions (we've actually been to GN, but in the offseason for whales).

1) Launch points: My wife has some issues with seasickness (and can't tolerate Dramamine). From what I've researched, it looks like one of the launch points is a little closer to where the whales congregate, and meaning less travel time on the boat. Is that accurate? Any insights on what we could do to make this work better for her?

2) Hotel: Should we book a hotel ahead of time? I was planning on doing so, but just curious during whale season if hotels get booked up more quickly. We were there during off season, and the town seemed to be empty. We've stayed at Malarrimo, were considering Hotel TerroSal this time.

3) Bus vs. drive. Having made the journey through the peninsula, we know it's a beautiful drive, but that it does take a little out of us. We were considering taking a night bus, Aguila or ABC, out of Tijuana. Do they tend to run on time, and are they comfortable? Are both companies about the same? They wouldn't play movies on an overnight bus, right?

We've traveled on buses in Mexico before and know that they can be a much more comfortable way to travel. Just haven't taken Aguila or ABC before.

4) Panga Driver/Tour Operators: There's an old post on Tripadvisor that says the panga boats from the National Park are able to get closer to the whales than the tour operators. Any truth to that?

Thank you in advance for any insights, we're looking forward to being better informed.

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by jay045]

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by jay045]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:23 PM

Bus is comfortable, GN maybe 13 hrs., since straight thru to La Paz
22or so. Not for everyone, I would get a bus from the TJ Central
Bus Station which is 4 mi. east of the border. They leave from
there on time. Not necessarily
cheap, guessing $65-$80 dlls one way pp, pick a seat
on right side for ocean view

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:25 PM

Check out Scopolamine for sea sickness, it does work. Not easy to find might have to be ordered. Many doctors don't know about it.
https://www.drugs.com/mtm/scopolamine.html

The hotels do fill up this time of year reservations.

I would drive so I have other options to venture off
on my own.

Check With Shari for/about tours. She knows all the operators there. She may be full but can tell you about all the other choices. I was booked with her Till yesterday. Life got in the way.
http://www.whalemagictours.com/

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

larry
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:25 PM

I've been to GN twice for whale watching: 6 years ago in mid-Feb and this year on New Year's Day. In mid-Feb there were a lot of whales. This year, far fewer, but we did see some--it was a long, cold, wet, and very bumpy ride in windy, rainy weather. The boat was full and most people got seasick.

Both trips, there was big hotel availability--I dont think that should be a worry for you. You can reserve tours in advance with Marios and Malarrimo (Malarrimo requires a deposit at Bank of America since they dont accept credit cards), but in February I dont think it is necessary--all the tour operators offer two tours per day, so there are at least six trips per days, the pangas hold 13 people.

My understanding is that there or only three or four tour operators--they all do the same routes for the same amount of time--you cannot request to go to a particular place. This is all done under strict government regulation to protect the whales. Its up to the whales how close you get to them. Both times we were very close to whales--once a whale was almost within touching distance.

This is all based on my limited personal experience--others may correct some of this.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 01:31 PM

I know you didn't ask this but thought I'd offer it anyway; there is an airline that flies from Ensenada to GN with one stop (Isla Cedros). It's a propeller plane so not sure how your wife would fare with motion sickness but may be worth looking into since it would definitely save a lot of time:

http://www.asg.com.mx/index.php#

Baja Blanca flew them a few years ago and posted a trip report on the experience; sounded positive from what I recall. I have never flown them personally.

[Edited on 2-9-2017 by gallesram]
jay045
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:27 PM

Thanks all for the great suggestions, I will check these out.

I did see the flight from Ensenada, but knew that would be a no go :)

Is it just a matter of 15-20 minutes of cruising via panga boat to reach the whales, or a lot longer than that?

We'll definitely monitor the weather to make sure it's not a bad weekend. Since we live in San Diego, we could just easily bail on the trip if it's going to be rainy/windy. Good warning on that.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larry  

.... but in February I dont think it is necessary--all the tour operators offer two tours per day, so there are at least six trips per days, the pangas hold 13 people.

I would not take an afternoon tour again. Wind and choppy water will make the ride very uncomfortable.

13 people in a boat is an overloaded boat. I sat in the rear, 3 adults across, and if the other 2 adults were standing, things felt unstable. It's not possible to see what is happening up front or even on the other side of the boat anyway from a rear or front position.

I'll look for a small group (8 or less) to go out and ONLY in the morning in the future.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.