Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: First trip to Baja since 1975 coming soon
BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 06:41 PM
First trip to Baja since 1975 coming soon

So my wife and I have recently retired and moved from Ohio to Northern Utah and I really want to return to Baja for the first time since April of 1975. Long story short I spent 2 weeks with a couple of Navy shipmates in a camper on the Sea Of Cortez at Bahia De Concepcion and to this day it was the greatest vacation of my life! So as much as my wife likes to camp, and swim, and kayak I'm a little concerned about what type of bathroom and shower facilities we will find when we stop and camp along the way. She is a great camper but this is one thing she sort of requires when we camp. We plan to stay in hotels on the way down but then hope to camp for a week or more at Bahia De Concepcion and then continue on to La Paz and the East Cape for some more beach camping there as well! Total time south of the border about a month! I'm debating buying one of those shower tents and a portable toilet just in case we don't find decent restroom and shower facilities. Can anyone share some insight on the need for this or am I worrying for nothing. We did some camping in Southern Utah last spring and fall to make sure our camping gear was up to snuff and I think we will be somewhat prepared with the exception of the restroom and shower thing. Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions. I'll probably have more questions as our departure date gets closer. Right now we plan to head south from Utah around April 23rd crossing at Tecate. Thanks again!!!

[Edited on 2-17-2017 by BajaBuckeye]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 07:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBuckeye  
So my wife and I have recently retired and moved from Ohio to Northern Utah and I really want to return to Baja for the first time since April of 1975. Long story short I spent 2 weeks with a couple of Navy shipmates in a camper on the Sea Of Cortez at Bahia De Concepcion and to this day it was the greatest vacation of my life! So as much as my wife likes to camp, and swim, and kayak I'm a little concerned about what type of bathroom and shower facilities we will find when we stop and camp along the way. She is a great camper but this is one thing she sort of requires when we camp. We plan to stay in hotels on the way down but then hope to camp for a week or more at Bahia De Concepcion and then continue on to La Paz and the East Cape for some more beach camping there as well! Total time south of the border about a month! I'm debating buying one of those shower tents and a portable toilet just in case we don't find decent restroom and shower facilities. Can anyone share some insight on the need for this or am I worrying for nothing. We did some camping in Southern Utah last spring and fall to make sure our camping gear was up to snuff and I think we will be somewhat prepared with the exception of the restroom and shower thing. Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions. I'll probably have more questions as our departure date gets closer. Right now we plan to head south from Utah around April 23rd crossing at Tecate. Thanks again!!!

[Edited on 2-17-2017 by BajaBuckeye]

The commercial campsites have toilets, and often showers. They are usually somewhat rustic. Just saying.

You'll find much more scenic camping spots by boondocking in remote areas.

If you want to camp in the desert away from people, you need to learn to squat to pee/poop, and shower in the open using a sun shower bag. I suppose you could buy a porta-potty seat and portable shower screen,... but that is pretty silly in my book.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 08:17 PM

What are you driving and when are you going? I just drove into every campo on Bahía Concepción and may help you. Right now most are full of Canadian RVers!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 09:30 PM

Heading south around April 23rd. Driving a Ford F-150 pulling a Malone trailer with to fishing kayaks! Plan to spend a month driving the length of the peninsula!
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 09:58 PM

That's pretty close to Easter this year, things can get pretty crazy in BCS around time.
Can be the week before and/or the week after.....
Beaches are usually packed and nuts....
If I could spell it right in Spanish "Samona Santos" which I know is wrong.... but you get the drift maybe...
Just so you are aware..... Easter is really late this year.....
We pretty much stock up on ice, beer, food and stick around the house in town during this time
But, safe travels and have a good time

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 11:22 PM

Semana Santa (Holy Week), or Easter Week... Usually a 2-week major beach going holiday with Mexicans.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 06:20 AM

Any idea when this two week holiday period falls this year?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 07:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBuckeye  
Any idea when this two week holiday period falls this year?

Easter is April 16. So the weeks before and after, but week before is the most travelers out and about
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:29 AM

Get a 5-gal bucket and cut the bottom off. There are potty seats made for 5-gal buckets. En route, find nice turnoff, drive a couple miles where you have privacy. Dig a hole behind a bush, place the bucket over it. Voila - and with a view too. (Please leave no trace). Bring a sink plug, so that when you're at a gas station or restaurant that has a bathroom, you can fill the sink and take a quick TPA bath (ta taas, pits and ass). Always have soap, washcloth, small towel and plastic cup, small travel size shampoo and conditioner in a small duffle to take advantage of the opportunity. Plastic cup? For when you wash your hair in that bathroom sink - helps to rinse your hair.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:44 AM

Wilderone, handy tips for someone like me and my dog camping together.

Bajabuckeye, watch the expression on your wife's face as she reads those suggestions.....and take your cue from that!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 09:53 AM

A solar shower works great, there will be lots of sun. Adjust your water supply accordingly. Consider two shower bags, one for salt water to wash and fresh for a rinse. Water resupply may or may not be convenient everywhere you camp. Also watch for ravens around the shower bags, they know fresh water is inside and will peck holes in it so they can shower too. Your timing looks fine to miss the Easter crush and most of the other winter campers will be cleared out by then. Most things will look a little different than what you saw in 1975.
Geo_Skip
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 01:32 PM

Expect many, many changes from the mid-1970s, when the highway had been "Improved"

If you are flexible and a bit adaptive you should do fine. You are off to a good start with the Nomad website, where much sincere info is available (and a bit of BS, discretion is always a good tactic).

If you area a gregarious type you might hook up with other visitors for convoy. There are good people in most areas where you can find a friend in need.

Enjoy, and try to ignore the bushes full of plastic shopping bags that bloom in the desert since the 1970s.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 03:38 PM

Much of the 1973 highway is identical and then there are a few 10 kilometer long sections that have finally been widened to have a shoulder wide enough for bicycles to use without endangering everyone!

When they rushed the highway completion in '73 and used as little pavement as possible (19 ft. wide, no shoulder) to get it done on budget, they promised that widening would happen right away! That was over 40 years ago!!!

Many side roads are now paved since Highway One was completed, and Highway 5 south past Gonzaga Bay is under construction on the remaining 20+ miles left.

Some of those dirt roads that are now paved, or mostly paved include:
Observatory Road
L.A. Bay Road and La Gringa Road
Santa Rosalillita Road
Bahia Asuncion/Tortugas Road
San Francisco de la Sierra Road
Punta Abreojos Road
San Jose de Magdalena Road
San Javier Road
Agua Verde road (just a little of it)
Las Barrancas to San Juanico (Scor[pion Bay) Road
Insurgentes to La Purisima/San Isidro Road
Francisco Villa to San Miguel Comondu Road
The Todos Santos and Cabo Highway (from La Paz), etc. (now 4 lanes wide)

[Edited on 2-17-2017 by David K]

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 06:34 PM

"bushes full of plastic shopping bags that bloom in the desert"
Mexico's national bird

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.