Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tent Camping in Gonzaga Bay
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:01 PM
Tent Camping in Gonzaga Bay

I've been researching on line, but can't decide the best place for tent camping down in Gonzaga. Any recommendations would be appreciated. We will have our dog with us so need a place that would allow that. If you know of a place, could you also tell me what is available there (pit toilets, table, fire pit etc.)? Thanks.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 06:12 PM

Papa Fernandez', Camp Beluga, Rancho Grande, Punta Final all are camping locations. See my trip report from New Years week for photos and details. Beluga is the nicest if you like to have flush toilets and showers. The others are pit toilets or none.

Papa Fernandez':

The camping beach is over the hill on the gulf side of Punta Willard, and through a closed road, for security.

Camping is 100 pesos (=$5.00)

John Wayne was a friend of Papa Fernandez. Photo in the restaurant.

I will add the other camp photos, below.

[Edited on 2-19-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 09:06 PM

Campo El Sacrificio and Campo Beluga

We stayed at El Sacrificio last Easter and enjoyed it: clean flush toilets and cold water showers, restaurant where they also sell basic suplies including ice, beer, sodas, bread...etc.. and even offer a couple of hours of AC power at the main palapa where we stayed. Open http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85261&got... for trip report, it also includes a report on Campo Beluga.

[Edited on 2-19-2017 by carlosg]

...work to camp and fish.... dream to be there....

http://aquapropoolandspaservice.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2017 at 10:42 PM

Satellite image with names added.

CAMP BELUGA:

Camp Beluga sign.

Camp Beluga sign.

Camp Beluga palapas.
$20: palapa or 350 pesos quoted. Cabins $40.
=========================================================

Past Beluga, on the same side road from Km. 149+ on Hwy. 5, is El Sacrificio, a fishermen's place with cabins. It was totally locked up on New Years weekend. Had to back up quite a ways as they had no turn around at the locked gate, and the road was lined with big rocks.

El Sacrificio sign.

El Sacrificio closed gate.
==========================================================

PUNTA FINAL, past Beluga and Sacrificio on coastal road or off Hwy. 5 at Km. 156:

Punta Final sign.

Punta Final camping area. Snoopy hill.
==========================================================

RANCHO GRANDE:

In this photo facing north, the first (or southern) paved driveway goes to Rancho Grande's Palapas ((Km. 147+). The second goes to Alfonsina's Hotel and restaurant, no camping.

Exit for Rancho Grande camping palapas (view north).

Long driveway next to airport runway.

Palapas left, toilets right.

Rancho Grande palapas.

View south.

View north. Alfonsina's private homes and hotel, in distance.

[Edited on 2-19-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 07:28 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out. It helps to have the reports and photos.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 09:14 AM

Wow - have things changed with that paved road. To access all of the campos do you take that "Alfonsinas/Gonzaga" right turn? Or are there additional roads off the highway past that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Wow - have things changed with that paved road. To access all of the campos do you take that "Alfonsinas/Gonzaga" right turn? Or are there additional roads off the highway past that?

Here are some of my Gonzaga area road notes from Jan. '17, Cindi:

Papa Fernandez' driveway is at the south side of the bridge, Km. 143. There is a southern access to Papa's signed just south over a hill.

The military checkpoint is at Km. 145.

The two paved off ramps by the Pemex station are on opposite sides of the runway. The north road goes to Alfonsina's and the south road goes to Rancho Grande palapas, as before. These are both just south of the Km. 147 marker, which is just north of the Pemex station/ Rancho Grande market.

Km. 149+ is the road to Camp Beluga (2 miles) and to El Sacrificio (4 miles).

Km. 154.5 Paved exit left to rest and viewpoint on the north side of Arroyo Santa María (called here by highway signs Arroyo Las Arrastras).

Km. 156 Road left to Punta Final (6 miles).

Km. 167.5 End of Paved driving, detour off roadbed. A Km. 170 post is where it should be Km. 167. Two miles ahead have pavement, but are closed to traffic.

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 12:42 PM

Thanks - very helpful.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 08:54 AM

We were just down there at Beluga. Nice spot. The cabins may be pretty rustic and at one time we were told that you got some wood (I think it was here) with the space but we didn't get any. Wood was at a premium around there. Nice spot though and friendly guy at the gate (open a lot of times). We talked with the man there and after a bit of discussion we told him we were staying 1 or 2 nights. I asked if there was a discount for 2 nights. No but you can get the 3rd night free he said. That was about 3 weeks ago and no one was there.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 10:39 AM

Was there on a random Monday in November and everything was fairly full. Not sure why. Me and wife camped on the sand at El Sacrificio by ourselves. It was fine... fishermen were launching boats all night though with their F-150 sin muffler though. haha

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 12:20 AM

Another vote for Papas. I just like it there and you'll probably have it to yourself. Though if the toilets are an issue... on the other hand, your dog won't care! Nice people and safe. Getting close to the seriously windy season so keep that in mind as to tents and canopies. No matter how well you "think" you have them tied down...the Cortez winds have a surprise for you!
fabian_mu

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 06:37 PM

Hello,
we are also considering passing bz Gonzaga Bay for camping on semana santa. Knowing there will be a lot of people I am trying to find out how to contact the campsites in advance to maybe reserve a spot.

Does anyone have the phone number of Campo Beluga? The one on Facebook doesn't seem to work.

Are all the sites accessible with an SUV (non 4x4)?

Thanks in advance!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 06:49 PM

papa's would be my last choice...if you're unlucky enough to be greeted with a fierce nor'easter I sure would be happy to be in one of the semi enclosed palapa's at rancho grande! papa's camping can be harsh! :o
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 07:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
papa's would be my last choice...if you're unlucky enough to be greeted with a fierce nor'easter I sure would be happy to be in one of the semi enclosed palapa's at rancho grande! papa's camping can be harsh! :o

Willard guy is right about camping at papas in a north wind , it would be bad but in good weather you will be by your self and have a great site with easy access to fishing
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 11:15 PM

I totally "get" what both Willard and Brian are saying...but I love camping at Papa Fernandez. Feel very safe there and you usually have to yourself. I'll take rustic and wind over humans any day!! Sorry...present company excluded! :cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.