BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crossing sea of cortez...baja norte...Gonzaga to puerto penasco
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

Mood: rather be on the beach at Gonzaga

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 02:21 PM
Crossing sea of cortez...baja norte...Gonzaga to puerto penasco

Any body done it....what size boat...etc etc
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 03:22 PM

I have done it twice from San Felipe.
I was sailing a Hobie 16.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 03:52 PM

Really?..solo...and single boat....?
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 04:20 PM

I have a 26 foot cabin cruiser that I keep in Rocky Point. From Puerto Penasco to San Felipe its about 70 miles, I haven't done it, but I fish 50 miles out from Puerto Penasco towards San Felipe all the time, which is about 4/5 of the way. No big deal on a calm day, big deal if it ain't calm. When you get to Puerto Penasco check out Safe Harbor, awesome harbor, great bunch of guys that work there. They have slips with electricity and water for $30/night, launch facilities, rooms, etc, and there's a Pemex fuel station in the harbor, but its expensive. I've driven to San Felipe many times, their harbor is nice, sheltered, but has limited facilities.

I've launched from Rocky Point many times and spend 1-2 nights out on the Sea of Cortez about 50 miles out, where the good fishing is. I have a marine radio on board with a high antenna, it'll reach other boats, but not shore. I rely on a Delorme GPS texting device in case of an emergency.

Using Google Earth I estimate the distance between Gonzaga and Puerto Penasco to be about 115 miles. Just need good weather, fuel (unless you're sailing), and a reliable boat. March would be a great month to do it, lots of whales, usually pretty calm, great temperatures.
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 04:31 PM

Do you have a sail or motor boat? Puerto Penasco has a Navy Base with a couple boats, I've heard mixed opinions on whether they'd rescue a private craft. i seen a posting last year on a forum where they helped a stranded boater, but I've rarely seen their boats go out. Their contact number is (638) 383-1691. There's also a Port Captain in Puerto Penasco, he's a good guy, I'm sure he'd help you if you got in trouble, but I don't know his contact information, perhaps you can google it. If you go to do the trip let me know when you're going, if I'm in Puerto Penasco you can use me as a back up. Personally I'd never attempt the trip unless it was real calm, my favorite website for marine weather on the Sea of Cortez is windfinder.com.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 12:27 PM

Young, adventurous, crazy (plus I have sailed the same boat from Mission Bay, San Diego to Campo La Jolla, Ensenada)

Quote: Originally posted by dizzyspots  
Really?..solo...and single boat....?

[Edited on 2-20-2017 by Udo]

Udo

amigobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 08:58 PM

Mulege to San Carlos. two boats four guys. a panga and a 21" triumph. Great time and caught Dorado along the way.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 12:00 PM

:bounce:

Udo

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ljprusko  
I have a 26 foot cabin cruiser that I keep in Rocky Point. From Puerto Penasco to San Felipe its about 70 miles, I haven't done it, but I fish 50 miles out from Puerto Penasco towards San Felipe all the time, which is about 4/5 of the way. No big deal on a calm day, big deal if it ain't calm. When you get to Puerto Penasco check out Safe Harbor, awesome harbor, great bunch of guys that work there. They have slips with electricity and water for $30/night, launch facilities, rooms, etc, and there's a Pemex fuel station in the harbor, but its expensive. I've driven to San Felipe many times, their harbor is nice, sheltered, but has limited facilities.

I've launched from Rocky Point many times and spend 1-2 nights out on the Sea of Cortez about 50 miles out, where the good fishing is. I have a marine radio on board with a high antenna, it'll reach other boats, but not shore. I rely on a Delorme GPS texting device in case of an emergency.

Using Google Earth I estimate the distance between Gonzaga and Puerto Penasco to be about 115 miles. Just need good weather, fuel (unless you're sailing), and a reliable boat. March would be a great month to do it, lots of whales, usually pretty calm, great temperatures.

Consider getting one of these,

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/fm_txvrs/2900.html

modifying it for marine band use, connect it to your existing antenna, and be able to talk at distances approaching 150 miles. Or more, if atmospherics are right.

They are not a water resistant radio, so it would need to be fairly well protected; flush mounted or something similar.

[Edited on 2-22-2017 by Hook]
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 12:20 PM

Thanks Hook, definitely a good option.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 01:29 PM

Having sailed from Guaymas to Mulege during a screaming norther, don't expect anybody to help you if you get in trouble. You are on your own. We sailed a 30 ft sailboat across in February, sailed overnight, big beautiful swells lit up with phosphorescence as they broke behind the stern. Left at 5 PM and arrived at 4 AM, a bit too quick due to the heavy winds. Waited a bit before entering Conception Bay. We did have radar so saw the entrance in the dark. Spent lots of time in the Sea, but again, don't count on help. Be prepared for the unexpected.
dizzyspots
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 08:48 AM

AMIGOBAJA....check your u2u please
bajaric
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 08:45 PM

The stepping stone islands across from Mulege would be easy compared to that, I think. I never got farther than 100 yards from that shoreline in my inflatable Kayak. Scary offshore winds there at night sometimes. I wonder if way far out in the Sea of Cortez there is the same winds as near the shoreline.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.