Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Question on residencia temporal
BajaPanda

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 05:45 PM
Question on residencia temporal

Ola fellow bajanomadians(?),

This intrepid panda has decided to move his dear self to Mexico. Specifically Tijuana. I work at a firm in SD and only have to go in a couple of days a week. I got myself the residencia temporal visa from a Mexican consulate.
Now I'm gearing up for the INM portion.
I'm looking for a referral for a broker/attorney/facilitator who would make that part easier. Maybe a firm like The Paperworks, but in TJ.
Also, how strict is INM regarding proof of address? I plan on doing AirBnb/Hotels before settling on more mid-long term housing.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Panda out!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 07:11 PM

The consulate put a Visa in your passport that allows you to apply for a Residente Temporal. You have certain timeline dates to get the paperwork stamped by INM at any border crossing, then have your Residente Temporal application submitted to the INM office in the area/region you will be living. If you move after you are issued the Residente Temporal, you have to inform the nearest INM office of your new address.

INM wants to know where you live, so you need proof of address such as a phone/electric/water bill or a rental/sales agreement

Don't know about facilitators in TJ, but I'm sure they are available.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 08:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaPanda  
I got myself the residencia temporal visa from a Mexican consulate.
I'm looking for a referral for a broker/attorney/facilitator who would make that part easier.

I believe you're past the point where facilitators could've been useful. Stamp your papers at the border - as it's been said, they have an expiration date. It is unlikely that you will need an "attorney" (abogado) for getting into the country that had already allowed you to do so.

Now, a broker, i.e. customs broker, might be useful if you plan on bringing what people often consider necessary in their new place (and often they are wrong, but this is another story). This part is largely a DIY affair, perhaps to a larger degree than the INM part.

[Edited on 2-20-2017 by Alm]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2017 at 08:57 PM

He still needs to apply for his Residente Temporal status at INM where he will be living. What he received at the Consulate is his permission to apply for the Temporal.

The Consulates do not issue Residente Temporal or Permanente status
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 07:36 AM

Don't forget to get SENTRI. probably goes without sayin', but I just felt like sayin' something.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 11:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaPanda  
Ola fellow bajanomadians(?),

This intrepid panda has decided to move his dear self to Mexico. Specifically Tijuana. I work at a firm in SD and only have to go in a couple of days a week. I got myself the residencia temporal visa from a Mexican consulate.
I'm looking for a referral for a broker/attorney/facilitator who would make that part easier. Maybe a firm like The Paperworks, but in TJ.
Also, how strict is INM regarding proof of address? I plan on doing AirBnb/Hotels before settling on more mid-long term housing.

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

Panda out!

Hi Panda;

I used San Diego Leisure. Jorge Gonzalez, 619-512-7537. jorge@sandiegoleisure.com.

I got my temp which was good for 3 years or so back then and then my permanent when that expired. Tell him Art Whitting sent you.

He's a good guy and straight up delivers exactly what he promises. Don't worry about the upfront partial payments.
get your fotos done in plaza rio.
get your sentri.

if you want an offline discussion, artwhitting@gmail.com
gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 11:57 AM

If you are looking for help with the process and paperwork, what you need is a "notario" (notary), not necessarily a lawyer. I could give a good recommendation of one in Rosarito Beach, but you need one in Tijuana where you are living. Ask around and watch for advertisements. There are plenty of them around. You might even stumble onto one in the INM office helping someone else.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 12:08 PM

Hey Panda,

If you have the application complete at the US consulate and got a sticker in you passport you have 6 months to cross the border and must go immediately to the INM where you have a residence.

If the sticker in in place and you are on time the process will proceed and can not be over-ridden or changed by the local INM. All you need to do is to complete the steps which are simple, submit the forms with payment and photos and wait a short time to be fingerprinted and you are done.

There is nothing a paper pusher or expediter can do to make it go faster or easier that you can't do yourself. But if you want help you can get it.

A lawyer or Notario is not the person with the knowledge you need, they have no expertise in this topic. You need to read the process yourself and submit the info or ask for help from someone who does INM paper pushing.

Here are discussions of recent experiences

http://www.mexconnect.com/forums/General_C1/Living%2C_Workin...

[Edited on 2-20-2017 by gnukid]
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 01:43 PM

Hi Panda;

the one thing that is being failed to acknowledge is that if you fill out the paper work incorrectly, in spanish, the application will be denied, without refund.

Since, I work for a living, the time versus costs were a no brainer.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 02:27 PM

I completely agree with gnukid. There is nothing about this that you cant do on your own. In fact, there is probably an English speaking INM agent in whatever office you decide to go to, especially if it is TJ.

But are you sure you want or need a Res Temp? They arent cheap and they put you on the track towards a Res Perm, which is also expensive. And there are indications that the Res Perm isn't so permanent or unexpiring, after all. Some now report that they are only good for 10 years.

I think I would just get an FMM every six months. Much easier and possibly cheaper, depending on how long you actually end up living in Mexico.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 02:36 PM

Are there any information from reliable sources/facts on this???

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
........" And there are indications that the Res Perm isn't so permanent or unexpiring, after all. Some now report that they are only good for 10 years........."
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Hi Panda;

the one thing that is being failed to acknowledge is that if you fill out the paper work incorrectly, in spanish, the application will be denied, without refund.

Since, I work for a living, the time versus costs were a no brainer.

I would say it is more likely an error will occur if someone else is filling out the paperwork? I experienced an error on an INM application they stated I needed my moms name as part of my name but we don't use those in USA and so it was a error and a refund was given, it is hard to get a refund but they do provide refunds for errors, you'll need a refund form, id, mexican bank account, three copies of everything etc and go to a bank.

Not everyone knows to ask for a refund...
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 03:05 PM

I believe some persons who recently obtained ones over here said they now have an expiration date. I have not personally seen these.

My wife, who got one in the two months that they were available, has no expiration date.

That's all I know.

Surely, someone on this board has gotten one in the last three months.

Anybody?
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 03:16 PM

My perm-visa has no expiration date. Hence it was a no brainer to - drop off my temp, my fee and go ONCE to INM to get my card.

As for English speaking INM agents. Since Mexican government officials are known for their stellar customer service, you should call ahead to the INM office and request an appointment for them to assist you with the application in English. The new office is at located on insurgentes west of Macro Plaza. They will be falling over themselves to assist you...
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
My perm-visa has no expiration date. Hence it was a no brainer to - drop off my temp, my fee and go ONCE to INM to get my card.

As for English speaking INM agents. Since Mexican government officials are known for their stellar customer service, you should call ahead to the INM office and request an appointment for them to assist you with the application in English. The new office is at located on insurgentes west of Macro Plaza. They will be falling over themselves to assist you...

How long ago did you get your res perm.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 06:57 PM

How long ago did you get your res perm.

8 months ago.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 07:44 PM

There has been no change in Res. Perm. as far as it only being good for 10 years. This is simply people speculating ("I believe", "I heard", "I know someone who knows someone") and throwing out false information of which they have no real facts or knowledge.
BajaPanda

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 02:16 PM

Thanks all! Especially @aguachico, I was wondering about Jorge, since his is the first website to show up when I google questions about the TRV. I've reached out to him. I'll be in touch!
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 07:34 PM

I think I would just get an FMM every six months. Much easier and possibly cheaper, depending on how long you actually end up living in Mexico.
How do I renew/extend/replace my FMM at the end of 180 days without exiting Mexico? I'd love to stay longer than 6 months but have no interest in temp/perm visas.

"I'm too young to be this old!"
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
How do I renew/extend/replace my FMM at the end of 180 days without exiting Mexico? I'd love to stay longer than 6 months but have no interest in temp/perm visas.
Anyone? 10 days with no response.:(

"I'm too young to be this old!"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.