Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lets stop dengue and Zika together... DIY trap 15 cents
laventana
Nomad

Mood: sharing

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 03:05 PM
Lets stop dengue and Zika together... DIY trap 15 cents

I now have a good video of how to make your own (DIY) one-way mosquito traps that you can make for 15 cents. It really works on the Aedes aegypti mosquito which can carry dengue, chikungunya, zika.

Make yourself about 6 of these and put them around your home and make some extras for neighbors. The female who is looking to lay eggs enters and can not escape. http://www.mosquitoswithoutborders.com under DIY.

Don't be a part of the problem be a part of the solution. Lets work on this together. Once your trap has some larvae show to your neighbors and teach them how to make them. Make these traps while watching TV.

Take a look at the citation on the webpage home where a Canadian university made a ovitrap with tires and the dent they put in mosquitos and dengue. This trap has far greater potential to prevent disease because it does not allow an infected mosquito to escape. The tire ones do allow for a infected female to spread disease, that is a fundamental difference. Plus if you neglect the tire one it becomes a breeding ground.

brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 08:50 AM

Thanks for posting this and thanks for all your hard work.

Does the trap need to be tended? I'm wondering how this will work for those of us that are away for half the year.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:03 AM

No it does not need to be tended.

But if possible have a caretaker add some water if it gets low.

Also I have started using our old 5 gallon water jugs and putting three traps in them near the top and they seem to work even better. I assume better airflow moisture coming out that leads the female to the water. These 5 gallon ones can hold a lot more water for extended periods. It is just harder for people to make the hole, i do it two ways, I have a diamond drill bit for large holes, $15.00 on amazon. And I also use a 1.25 inch copper fitting from home depot (a buck or two) and heat it up on the stove, or with a torch and it cuts through like butter.

This is part of the practicality of the design these can never become a part of the problem, where for instance the tire one can and will be a part of the problem if one takes even a week vacation.

domeboy

[*] posted on 2-22-2017 at 09:43 AM

Thank You Dean! This is a great idea.
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 10:01 AM

Down here in Southern baja which is warmer, I have been having greater success using the 5 gallon water bottles we have around. I put in 3 traps equally spaces near the top. and put in a lot more water. The airflow because of cross ventilation seems to do the trick. I do end up replenishing the water at a much higher rate. While we do not have many mosquitos here, I have been able to catch them in the 5 gallon ones.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 11:55 AM

How do I order? Do I used the DONATE button on your website?
laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 12:30 PM

At this point I am not set up for ordering.

In the do-it-yourself section you can make them yourself. just 15 cents worth of metal screen for each one and I show you how to make them.

I made the video this way for very remote and poor nations. I did not show the hot glue way or silicone because it may be very hard to find in remote areas.

It is easier if you use hot glue if you have a hot glue gun. and then use silicone into the bottles.

If still not interested in the D-I-Y, ya I have screens pre-made here for a donation. Just made 30 yesterday as I am going to do a trial up in an area that has horrible problems with the mossys starting May. See if I can make a dent into it this year so have plenty of time to make about 100 of them for them.

I make it to LaPaz about once a week. I could ship them to a local baja pack or to a bus station for pick up. Or if you have a friend going through LaPaz I can leave them at a friends business for easy pick up.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 02:50 PM

Hola,

thanks for your effort and great idea.

is it possible for you to do a video using the hot glue, copper tubing and silicone ?

i would like to make some for my kids and friends.

THE BIGGER ONE FOR MY DAUGHTER THAT HAS A POOL.

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

laventana
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 03:56 PM

in the video I have at the point I mention you can use silicone or a glue gun, just lay a bead down, the long edge where the double screen meets.

Here is a simulation of what I mean. I prefer aluminum screen but any metal screen type will work.

and here is an example of a bottle that I uses hot glue, you can use silicone too.

and note once you catch some wigglers in there show the neighbors and get them to make some and show their neighbors...

about 4 should be around each home, and if zika or dengue are in the area, 2 in the house and another few in the perimeter of the yard. This mosquito is known as a skip-ovipostation. That means in each egg laying cycle it likes to not lay all its eggs at one location, so we give them a lot of locations.

and as I noted with a different type of ovi-trap in australia they were effective, but those traps have the issue that they can be part of the problem, so they were removed after the threat was over. we just never remove this one because the female can not escape.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 06:53 PM

I started writing a response, then got distracted. I'm lazy and didn't want to do the work myself, and also wanted to support the effort. I'll buy them when they're available.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.