Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: OK folks, I have a for real and serious question-
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 12:30 PM

Well what do you think is going to happen to a thread like this that's really not about a serious question, and borders on a trolling alarmist question, asking if the Mexican natives are going to hold the election of Donald Trump, against American tourists.

Although, there is always real concern about the safety of Mexico, and it's always asked.

This question is just another variation of the questions that ask, " IS MEXICO SAFE?"

I just roll my eyes when I read some dumb questions, when you know millions of tourists visit Mexico every years, and they make it back safe.

Does anybody really think that anything more than a tiny minuscule of mentally sick Mexicans, will hold the election of Trump, against an American tourist or ex-pat?

Put the shoe of the other foot, and lets say Mexico elected an American hating President, who called Americans rapists and criminals, and vowed to deport all the illegally aliens Americans back to the US.

Would you hold the statements or polices against the average Mexican tourist or worker visiting the USA because of the xenophobic, racist or bigoted statements by the newly elected Mexican President in my hypothetical example?

I like Cliffy's question,, " we have a couple of our group really concerned." Yeah right, I think it's Cliffy, is the only one who is really concerned, or he is just trolling or engaging in alarmist type behavior.

I think only 3 percent of Mexicans view Trump favorable, compared to the latest poll that show Trump's favorable rating at 39 percent.

If you're really concerned about the latest safety of Mexico, turn to the US State Department, which list travel warnings all the time, and so far they have not listed the election of Trump of causing any increase of safety concerns for American travelers to Mexico.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 12:54 PM

Ged, read more than my posts, please. I was just supporting the rational answers here and not creating new stuff to debate.

Are you coming south from Canada this year or do you let what Goat says keep you from enjoying Baja?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 01:27 PM

David,
I have been living in Baja since the beginning of November '16.
During this time I have had numerous conversations with Mexicans and non-nationals who are living here or just passing through.... some, like you, think that Trump is the best thing going....and others don't.

Thanks for your reading advice, but don't flatter yourself thinking I read just your posts.....
It is that some of your comments are worthy of responding....like categorizing Mexicans as being "pleasers"...:

"The people of Baja are friendly and have no interest in a political debate about a foreign country. The[y] are pleasers, and if you arrive wearing Obama or Hillary shirts, they will pretend to support your view. If you arrive neutral, you will not hear any disrespect for the president."

If you did more than drive through a place and perhaps develop a more sincere and meaningful relationship with locals, you might have a different experience. :light:

Goat's comments regarding political views are somewhat in parallel with my own (although he might dis me for being a knuckle-dragging offroader), so....no, they don't keep me away from either being here or enjoying it.

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 01:40 PM

Sure thing, I just wish people can get beyond this political thing. The election is over, so get over it. Again, I did not begin a new thought in this thread, just agreeing with Nomads who LIVE in Mexico. Debate them, as they are the ones who called out goat with his version of reality.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have spent 17 days in Baja on two trips since the election. What Tomas Tierra and soulpatch say is fact. What goat posts is false.

The people of Baja are friendly and have no interest in a political debate about a foreign country. The are pleasers, and if you arrive wearing Obama or Hillary shirts, they will pretend to support your view. If you arrive neutral, you will not hear any disrespect for the president. The made-up drama is hysterical.

no kidding? 17 days! you must be a quick study to divine such a vast understanding of the local sentiments in such a brief interval. i have been here since the election(and before) and would hesitate to draw conclusions about the opinions of all mexicans.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 02:53 PM

Again, reading 101, I was responding to Tomas and Soul, not creating new observations. The few days I spend driving a few thousand miles means I cover more area and not just hanging around in one place. That's not better, just different.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Sure thing, I just wish people can get beyond this political thing. The election is over, so get over it. Again, I did not begin a new thought in this thread, just agreeing with Nomads who LIVE in Mexico. Debate them, as they are the ones who called out goat with his version of reality.

On subject, this forum is not the place to determine the attitudes at Rockies. Just go and have fun and find out. Doubt there' ll be demonstrations. Maybe things are still passionate in MX City.

And unless a MX is directly affect by immigration, I think it's meaningless to them. US politics doesn't come up down here except over drinks. From here, who cares. I don't.

Keep wishing for people to get over the political thing. It's not going to happen. The election is over, most definitely, but lots and lots of people aren't over it and won't be over it until prez pu$$ygrabber is out of office -- impeached, resigned, or a number of ways. My life's goal is to make that bully's life as miserable as I can for as long as it takes.

Strangely, I'm in line with his politics. Things changed when he insulted a former POW and American Hero, John McCain. Don't like McCain or his politics but insulting his POW status was over the top.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 03:34 PM

I actually had to go back and reread my OP just to see if I said something that would have or should have evoked so much vitriol.
After doing that, I'm convinced that what I asked shouldn't have caused such vicious commentary from anyone, anywhere near sanity.

At least most people grounded in sanity tune out such commentary as lunacy and give it no weight.

Yes, I asked the question BUT I am not the one concerned. The question was true and not trolling no matter what someone else postulated.
I thank those who kept on point and provided reasonable answers for me to show someone else.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 03:47 PM

Since this thread has gone off topic anyway:
Might as well settle in for another eight years of Trump. Many will not even be around by the time he leaves office, particularly those who are most stressed out over his election. As for old warmonger McCain, getting shot down doesn't make him a hero, nor does sitting in the Hanoi Hilton with hundreds of others just as unlucky.

By the way, this war thing is a two way street. The North Koreans, Chinese, and Vietnamese gave many US Marines, and other American servicemen an opportunity to die for their country also. No glory or winners there.
BajaNaranja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 03:54 PM

Cliffy - Not your bad - this forum is full of people pushing their own agendas.

It is a reasonable question you ask - to inquire whether folks down south are getting riled up about the political drama created by our current president.

The approach taken by the current prez has been inflammatory, narrowminded, and unilateral towards Mex.

At some point, folks down south may start to push back against the policies of our current president - and may even lash out at those they perceive to have voted for him / support him.

Yes the election is over, we all wish we could "get over it," but now the aftermath ensues, with regard to policy enactment.

I cross the border regularly with young kids and a wife in the car, and I am concerned that eventually the wall / immigration / etc. actions taken by our current prez may result in angry actions against folks in US-plated cars.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 04:04 PM

Some of the posts in this thread do not show any enlightenment at all.

Since I'm in the nice part of "Baja Nomad' I'm going to bite my tongue.

Please don't stereotype Mexicans, even with positive stereotypes, because that could also come off as insulting to Mexicans. In Mexico, just like the US, they come in all shapes, sizes, and varieties. One size doesn't fit all. If you want to stereotype Mexicans, just realize Americans have their own stereotype reputation, and it's not always good.

Mexicans are also not dancing monkeys, and nobody here is an organ grinder.

bajabuddha wrote: The folks in Puerto PeƱasco know better than to poop in their own nest; they know their subsistence survives on American dolares. "Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 04:27 PM

I think the most worried people right now are the 2 million + that were deported during the Obama administrations run. Might even be a few in RP who hold a grudge.

Sad part is they never got their day in the news so that all of those people who don't like deportations could have stormed the Obama and Democrats town halls.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 05:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
I think the most worried people right now are the 2 million + that were deported during the Obama administrations run. Might even be a few in RP who hold a grudge.

Sad part is they never got their day in the news so that all of those people who don't like deportations could have stormed the Obama and Democrats town halls.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 05:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Since this thread has gone off topic anyway:
Might as well settle in for another eight years of Trump. Many will not even be around by the time he leaves office, particularly those who are most stressed out over his election. As for old warmonger McCain, getting shot down doesn't make him a hero, nor does sitting in the Hanoi Hilton with hundreds of others just as unlucky.

By the way, this war thing is a two way street. The North Koreans, Chinese, and Vietnamese gave many US Marines, and other American servicemen an opportunity to die for their country also. No glory or winners there.

Ever been shot at, Sparky?:smug:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 05:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Put the shoe of the other foot, and lets say Mexico elected an American hating President, who called Americans rapists and criminals, and vowed to deport all the illegally aliens Americans back to the US.

And the problem with deporting illegal Americans is what?...

Does Mexico or does Mexico not require foreign national tourists and residents to be legal, get legal or face the consequences when discovered?

Sounds EXACTLY like what the USA does and is doing....right?

[Edited on 2-24-2017 by DaliDali]

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 05:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
David,
I have been living in Baja since the beginning of November '16.

4 or 5 months now....and you have it all figured out and feel fully qualified to speak on the attitudes of how Mexicans feel about USA politics?..

Color me impressed.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
As for old warmonger McCain, getting shot down doesn't make him a hero, nor does sitting in the Hanoi Hilton with hundreds of others just as unlucky.

Wow -- did you serve active duty in a war zone? If not, you don't have a clue as to what defines a hero.

Try this from Webster:
c : a person admired for achievements and noble qualities
d : one who shows great courage.

That's John McCain. Not by virtue of serving in the military because not every who serves is a hero. John flew in combat, didn't have to, put his life on the line, when it wasn't necessary, got shot down and tortured (look up the definition of torture), and survived it.

He displayed courage in the face of the enemy, bravery above and beyond the pale.

Civilians (like your prez) defining the qualities of a military hero smells like ingratitude. Sad!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 06:00 PM

OK so we've established that he can be crud and callous. So what?
We can also say that McCain (the Senator) has not been a stellar stalwart of Conservative causes for some time (he is my Senator although I didn't vote for him this time around).

What can be said about McCain of today is that he refused early release from the Hanoi Hilton because of who his father was, a four star of Admiral rank at the time AND his father was also a four star in the Navy (the first father son duo to achieve four star rank). Now I don't agree with McCain of today most of the time nor do I agree with the Presidents assumption either. Everyone has warts. Just some of them are more prominent than others or "called out" more prominently by those with whom they disagree.

It's real easy to cast stones when you are not the public target nor are you willing to accept stones thrown your way without resorting to foul language and discrepant labels.

There will never be a perfect candidate but maybe we need to look beyond the current hysteria and just watch to see what happens. Nothing derogatory has happened yet.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 06:32 PM

well see, thats where you made your mistake....you should have asked this on a for real and serious message board....not BajaBlowhards! ;)
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-23-2017 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

4 or 5 months now....and you have it all figured out and feel fully qualified to speak on the attitudes of how Mexicans feel about USA politics?..

Color me impressed.

No, I am not claiming that...just saying that I have experienced a range of conversations about the Trump impact on Mexico and have heard a range of opinions.

Now, how about more stories about Thai hookers....:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.