Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Another New Ride for Baja
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2017 at 10:37 AM
Another New Ride for Baja

This should meet with DK's approval. Picking up a low mile '86 CJ7 survivor next week to drag behind us this trip. Why? Our Ram and camper setup stays put once we reach our destination (too awkward and sandy to safely remove the camper and use just the truck). This will make us more mobile and better allow us to make some day trips to other points of interest. Biggest selling point is the wife, who doesn't Kiteboard, won'the be stuck just hanging out while we play in the water.

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-25-2017 at 11:14 AM

Toyota doesn't make a CJ-7, ha!
Hey, I am happy for you to get a 4WD, no matter who makes it. Without looking up, I will guess that must be one of the last CJ-7s made before they were discontinued for the Wrangler (YJ series) with its lower center of gravity and wider track.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 12:15 PM

Yes. Been busy trying to get it ready. New shocks, stabilizer, spindle and wheel bearing, axle u-joints, fluids, built 4130 tie rod and drag link (still need to adjust toe), Mile Marker hubs, blasted the orig white rims and painted them in satin black, new tires.... Still have to install new exhaust (the eve before our departure) and drive shaft u-joints...and suck out the diffs and refill, and...

[Edited on 3-14-2017 by DeMinimis]

20170228_063224-800x600.jpg - 205kB2017-03-07_02-07-28-800x600.jpg - 142kB20170313_185003-800x482.jpg - 119kB

You gonna eat that?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 12:19 PM

keep the duck

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 01:47 PM

enjoy your new bounce! :yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 02:34 PM

That "Last of a Great Breed" plaque is priceless!

Good job on the restoration and repairs. I hope it gives you great service!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 03:33 PM

It's been servicing me.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 10:35 PM

Still a little too twitchy for my tastes. I did not have time to do ball joints, but they didn't have any play I could find. I'll tackle them later. Toe a bit much at 1/8". I'll cut that in half and see if that helps. Back at it tomorrow evening, in the rain. Made my drag link a smidge too long (didn't have the lock nuts when I made the drag. Had to guess). Steering wheel at 11:00. I can grind down the ends, or just pop off the wheel and center that way (assuming splined). Think I'll go with plan #2.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 07:58 AM

Jeep did not make the trip. After getting fuel, ran back home because we forgot out kiteboarding helmets. Checked hubs and right rear was smoking hot. Figured the phone brake cable was hanging up, but couldn't be positive at 9:30pm (three hours late depature). Unhooked, left it at home and have regretted it ever since. Just didn't have enough time to get it tip-top for the trip.

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 09:10 AM

Bummer, but it is a Jeep Thing.
I hope it works well fro you on the next trip.
Where did you go or are going, in Baja?

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 09:42 AM

La Ventana for a few days. I think we're done with LV. Down to SJD for Rossy's tacos (I know, but worth the drive). Up to Cabo Pulmo for a couple of days. Los Barriles for another noche, then the push home (Conception, Gonzaga, US).

20170325_185724-800x600.jpg - 101kB

You gonna eat that?
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 10:49 AM

A thought on your drag link length: the front springs look tired (flattened out). Perfect excuse for a new set of springs to lift it a couple inches, giving more travel to suck up the big bumps. If I'm not mistaken, that would effectively shorten your drag link.

As to the "twitchy", I'm assuming that you mean it isn't steering straight down the road. Polyurethane spring bushings will tighten the slop a little. Check, or maybe just replace your tie rod ends; probably due anyway. Also check the steering box for excessive play.

As to toe adjustment, my impression is that toe-in is what makes it steer straight (not wander) and want to return to center. Decreasing the toe-in may give the opposite results you desire. On my numerous and varied solid front axle 4x4's, including CJ7s, I added toe-in due to Baja pavement. Instead of 1/8", try 3/16". Tires want to follow the ruts in the asphalt made by overloaded trucks/thin asphalt/hot sun.

Inspect the frame if you haven't. Cracks are common on CJs, particularly around the forward spring/shackle hangers.
Do you have the 258 cid (4.2L)?
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 01:42 PM

'86 CJ7? Disaster on wheels!
Sell it - get a TJ.
Even better - get a Toyota.

Harald Pietschmann
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 03:11 PM

Whatever peels your banana.

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 04:58 PM

The new Jeep Wrangler JL is coming soon... as well as a Jeep truck, and Jeep Wagoneer, once again... per the new Petersen's 4 Wheel & Off-Road magazine (June 2017 issue).

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 05:44 PM

Again, this is just a temp towable (and project for The Boy) until the DD w/LS3 is done. If I need something else, I'm going to get a newer F-150 as my daily driver once The Boy gets his license in 1.5 anos (and my cursed Outback), so that can also pull towable duty if ever needed. Wouldn't be the first time a Ram pulled a Ford.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 11:44 AM

So got home and popped the offending drum off the hub. Sure enough, the brake adjusting cable had snapped (hadn't seen that before) and fell into the bottom of the dram assembly. Actually, even having an adjusting cable is some silly engineering, Mr. Bendix, but so be it. Would have burned up on the tow down, so good thing I didn't risk it. Using this as an opportunity to replace everything in the rear brakes. Of course, being an old Jeep, it's never that easy...which means I now have to replace the frozen brakes lines as one will not break loose at the wheel cylinder (the other one did, barely, so I'll just replace them both).

[Edited on 4-4-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Maderita  
As to toe adjustment, my impression is that toe-in is what makes it steer straight (not wander) and want to return to center.

I always thought it was the "caster" setting that made the wheel want to return to straight. Like the forks on a motorcycle (think chopper forks)

John
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 12:01 PM

All three play their part when dialing a front end.

On the Jeep, caster and camber are preset, pretty much, due to the fact these are knuckle axles. I have the toe set perfectly. Took several attempts, but got it dialed. I have a sinking feeling I'm going to need some caster shims, but won't really know until I finish up withe new bushings (into another project right now).

Now if you want to really talk camber/caster/toe hassles, look at how much of a hassle it is to get it right on my buggy (in fact, you might even be able to see my notes on the painter's tape):

A good explanation regarding the Trinity of alignment can be found here, if anyone is interested: http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/front_ends_101.htm

[Edited on 4-4-2017 by DeMinimis]

[Edited on 5-1-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2017 at 09:11 AM

Well the Cj project continues to drag along. Decided I wanted a good receiver hitch. Decided I wanted a better rear crossmember. Figured while I was at it, I wanted to reinforce the rear frame as they are a bit weak considering the suspension (and future hitch) forces back there. MORE makes a kit for the outside (3/16") and beneath (1/4"), but I had to fab my own inboard plates (1/8"). Although it's a kit, it took a fair amount of modification to get it right (probably should have just made my own). Rear crossmember is 3/16" (much better than the factory 1/8"). Gong with a Curt 4000/400 receiver hitch (will work as a Mansfield bar to boot). Hopefully the wind won't blow tonight so I can get some welding down and wrap up the right side. All for a vehicle I really don't need, but I just can't help myself.

You gonna eat that?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.