BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: People along side the road with a plastic can waving you to stop
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 10:58 AM
People along side the road with a plastic can waving you to stop

Ok, fool me once....

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else sees it along the way.

We were happily traveling along when we came across a car on the side of the road. The woman and child were waving a plastic water jug and praying us to stop. I thought they needed water (car overheated) so I pulled in. Long story, it's a scam. When I told them I didn't have any gas, they asked for drinking water. Then they wanted pesos for gas. I gave them 20 pesos thinking it was a scam but not sure.

The few days later, after we camped a few nights, we were about 50-75 miles north of the waving woman and there she was again.....

Now I know for sure.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 11:01 AM

A couple of months ago they were hanging around El Rosario
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 11:11 AM

I have seen them on two different occasions
on the La Bufadoda road. :?::?::?:
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 11:11 AM

desperate times call for desperate measures.....im happy to give.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 11:13 AM

what a great tool for teaching kids. that mom should be proud!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 12:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I have seen them on two different occasions
on the La Bufadoda road. :?::?::?:

Sounds like a franchise!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
what a great tool for teaching kids. that mom should be proud!

How dare that mother be poor and reduced to begging!!!!!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 12:36 PM

...and affording a vehicle to drive from south of El Rosario to La Bufadora.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 12:37 PM

Gypsy's in Baja!
On the grade between San Ignacio and Santa Rosalia, last September, a van with a woman and several children... one holding a gas can and waving at our group of 4 Toyotas...

On the CB, I said it very well could be a scam, but we found it too sad looking to not offer help. It was summer, after all.

We gave them a couple gallons then tried to get her to start the van so we knew she was out of trouble, and we said we would follow her to San Ignacio to ensure her safe passage.

Well, it was a scam indeed. She refused our help after getting some free gas. Refused to even start the van so our mechanic could make sure it was driveable.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 01:58 PM

I don't care if it is a scam I might be the only way she can get gas or $$ for whatever it is she needs.
At least she is out trying to do something
Begging is harder then one might think and you have to swallow just about all your pride to do it.
I would rather give it to her then some drunk in front of a liquor store and even them I give a buck or 5 every now and then. After its left my hand its none of my business what they do with it.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 02:01 PM

We have experienced a similar request, but person waving a siphon hose. I usually let them siphon a gallon of gas (can't do it on newer cars as the inlet is partially blocked) and have been rewarded with a visit to a village and modest dinner. Lots of wonderful conversations have ensued. Once just outside La Paz I was given several arrow heads and spear points as payment. Those then went to the La Paz museum.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 03:59 PM

Trot out your old tired morals about children and Mom begging in Baja. Try giving without strings attached and your expectations not being met.

Sad!

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
wannago

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 04:27 PM

We stop, only had diesel The girl answer in English for money
Offer to take them to town only want money.

Wanna\'Go
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 04:32 PM

I agree with other's that it's not that much money and I was being a 'good samaritan' when I stopped. I just thought they were in a serious situation but also thought it wise to let others know what we encountered. I too had diesel so couldn't help. Gave the money and moved on.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 04:42 PM

since i had given to the two south of El Rosario last June i can say i hope the kid learns that there are givers and takers in life.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 04:49 PM
Gringo Beggar B-itching

Wherever one travels (including the U.S.), they are going to encounter beggars.

Often, encountering the same beggars peddling the same line each time.

At the same place for months at a time.

Give or NOT, as you're inclined.

Relatively wealthy indignant Gringos whining over what desperate people do to survive is unseemly.

[Edited on 2-26-2017 by MrBillM]
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 05:50 PM

Well folks. I stoped for them two weeks ago above Jesus Maria. I got out thinking they needed water. But no; they needed gas. and the girl said it was her Birthday?? I said were are you going? Catavina the mom said? Ok I gave them five gallons of gas. and two drinking waters two chicken sandwiches and a Chocolate chip cooky from double tree (long story). They were nice and the Mom said she was sorry all the time. Then they ask for Pesos and right there I said Look I gave five gallons of gas and my lunch. Be happy with that and Happy birthday. See ya. The car started up and way they went with cooky in hand. I felt Good. and they were off. But I think next time? even with big heart no stopping. The little girl had said they had no gun?? But were parked by a bunch of bushes?? I have always help out But times are getting tuff for folks down here.... Just be ware and Becareful :light:
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 05:57 PM

PS. Not sure if same Mom and Girl. They were in a small two door car with a lot of crap in the back. I just hope they got were they were going. The Girl seemed very smart. I hope she will not think this is the only way to live. I hope she enjoyed the chocolate chip cooky :biggrin:
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2017 at 07:54 PM

We came across an older man and his grandson in a pickup with panga in tow blocking the road from Vizcaino to Asuncion a few weeks ago at about 8pm. The younger guy (around 25) was holding a gas can. He explained they'd run out (between La Bocana and Tortugas - still another 100km away!) and could he please have a ride? We had space in the car, so told him to pile in.

We dropped him at the station in BA after about a 30 minute ride and chat. Mixed in with the thank yous he said 'We were really excited to see your car come along, it had been a good long while and we've been up since early this morning. Then my gramps saw your plates and said 'aw, flock, it's flocking Americans, they won't stop.'

LOL.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-27-2017 at 06:20 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83254

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.