Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Miles per Day
Telluridecamper

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 07:00 AM
Miles per Day

Hi All,

I am driving down from Yuma to Cabo for spring break, the beginning of April. I have the Church's camping in Baja book which says they don't drive more than 200 miles per day. Then bajainsider.com says 450 miles per day is a good day of driving. I am wondering where you all stand on pushing through the peninsula to get to a destination and how many miles I would likely be able to drive in a day. I tend to drive faster then posted speed limits, typically.

Thanks! :biggrin:
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 07:08 AM

Figure 50 miles traveled each hour including stops for gas, to pee, to eat etc. In 12 hours you will make 600 miles. Yes, there are 80 mph straights but in the end figure 50 mph average and you will come out about right over a long day.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:10 AM

50mph/80kmh is a good average
you'll have to drive quite fast on the straight stretches to achieve 50 mph

in reality - it will be 2 very long days from Yuma to Cabo
Yuma - Guerrero Negro = 9 hours
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Guerrero+Negro,+Baja+Califor...
Guerrero Negro - Loreto = 5 hours
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Guerrero+Negro,+Baja+Califor...
Loreto - Cabo = 6 hours
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Cabo+San+Lucas,+Baja+Califor...

Harald Pietschmann
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:16 AM

I agree with El Jefe. That is at a pretty fast speed though. On your 1st trip at least, go very slow in the hills and mountains. Sharp corners seem to jump out at you even knowing the road I still get caught going too fast. There are few places with an apron or shoulder so be careful. Focus on the road. Things can go bad very quickly.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:20 AM

I push my driving BUT I push time and not speed. The speed is dictated by traffic, towns and animals. This is not a US road (in most spots) and since you are not familiar with it don't make US assumptions about it.

I push time by being on the road with a pink sky in the east and stopping with a pink sky in the west and only fuel stops in between. That means I drive less distance in December than I can in June. I've done San Felipe to La Ribera (destination) on June 30 - longest day of the year - but my mid-winter is usually Brawley CA to Guerrero Negro in a day.

I also drive vehicles that I am comfortable with that can be pushed. The whoops, the dirt sections, the potholes all will beat the crap out of what you drive. I can make much better time in my lifted Grand Cherokee than I can in my F350 diesel fully loaded and pulling a trailer but I have to stop 4 times to gas the GC and I can make the peninsula top to bottom in the F350 without fuel stops.

My "general" advice - plan on the border to Guerrero Negro in a day and then another day to Cabo if you have 12 hours of drive time each day.

Andy
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:26 AM

I think it's a wee bit anal figuring out 'miles per day', especially on Hwy 1. There are good stretches now you'll sail easily on, but still about half of it is white-knuckle, no-shoulder windy mountainous oh-my-gawd stretches, and especially the CataviƱa stretch with potholes as big as Volkswagens. Also it's not a road to push your luck on, driving 'till you get really tired. Your rig has a lot to do with it too; are you driving a car, or hauling an RV or have a camper? IMHO, you'd be really pressing your luck to try to make the run in two days... I'd plan on 3, and that's if you don't want to take in any side trips or sights on the way down. And if you haven't heard it yet, DON'T drive at night. And if spring break coincides with Easter this year you're gonna have some horrendous traffic to contend with... so have a safe trip.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:27 AM

All good advice & DON'T DRIVE AT NIGHT!!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:47 AM

Spring break in cabo? Sounds like a lot of driving for a 1 week vacation. Flying would be better choice than 4+ long days of driving for 3 days of drunken debauchery on the beach.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:48 AM

Yes, I have done the trip about 9 times in recent years.

I have gone balls out and at other times only speed on the long stretches, It still comes down to 50 mph.

My personal preference is to regards to accommodations, and how far the next decent motel is.

My pace would be: Yuma to San Felipe.
San Felipe to Guerrero Negro (or perhaps San Ignacio)
Guerrero Negro (san Ignacio), La Cuesta del Diablo is a slow drive, to Loreto
Loreto to Cabo
In Cabo stay at the Mar De Cortez hotel. A block away from the marina, and across the street from Cabo Wabo. Plus it has a gated walled-in parking lot.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Telluridecamper

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 09:39 AM

Sweet! Thanks for the info!
Telluridecamper

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 09:49 AM

I'm just trying to get an idea. Wont be pushing it to hard, kids in the truck. Driving from Flagstaff to San Felipe on a Saturday, will be going through border around Noon.

Then San Felipe to Guerrero Negro, this was the section I was kinda wondering if I could make it to Mulege in one day. Not a problem if not.

Mulege the next day, may stay a couple days there, then either a push to Cabo or stop in La Paz. Seems more reasonable to stop in La Paz.

Stay in San Jose for a night then head out to boondock along the Camino Cabo Este and surf.

2012 F250 Slide in Truck camper
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 09:49 AM

Not mentioned is the reason to not drive at night, especially for Baja newbies...
1) ANIMALS (cows, burros, etc.) are on the highway in the dark and they don't wear reflectors.
2) VIEW and activities is incredible in many areas (and there are long dull areas, too). The reason for Baja being so exciting has not always been Cabo. In fact, Cabo is at the end of Baja with so much to see and do without ever seeing Cabo. YOU can't see the incredible sites if it is dark.

OK, so with that said, El Jefe is spot on about the 50 MPH average. I go fast (usually), but throw in gas and pee stops, photo stops, military checkpoints (do you know about these?), waiting for animals to move, or debris cleared from contents of semi trucks (yes, seeing overturned cargo trucks is common. They drive very poorly, too fast on turns, and flip their rigs).

MILITARY CHECKPOINTS: There are several, and in the same day you may be questioned and searched many times. They are looking for DRUGS, GUNS, and AMMO.
Marijuana is not okay in Mexico like it is in the U.S.
If you are a hunter or in the military, make sure there are no clips or loose bullets in your glovebox (or anywhere).
Going south many will wave you through... but northbound, they will all stop and at least ask the questions "Where are you coming from?" and usually also "Where are you going?".
If they want, they will ask you to get out while they search the contents of your car. Usually glove box, under seats, in ice box, etc. You can watch them do the search.
Welcome to Latin America!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 10:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Telluridecamper  
I'm just trying to get an idea. Wont be pushing it to hard, kids in the truck. Driving from Flagstaff to San Felipe on a Saturday, will be going through border around Noon.

Then San Felipe to Guerrero Negro, this was the section I was kinda wondering if I could make it to Mulege in one day. Not a problem if not.

Mulege the next day, may stay a couple days there, then either a push to Cabo or stop in La Paz. Seems more reasonable to stop in La Paz.

Stay in San Jose for a night then head out to boondock along the Camino Cabo Este and surf.

2012 F250 Slide in Truck camper

SF to GN is an easy day. Stops in Baja are usually defined by hotel stops but with a camper you are a bit more un-tethered. Beyond GN you have hotels in Vizcaino, San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia and Mulege.

La Paz to Cabo is the easiest 4 lane highway you will see. It's not much more than an 1 1/2 hours. Unless you want to stop in La Paz push on.

That time of year don't count on surf on the East Cape. It's beautiful and our favorite time to be there but it's a mill pond. Take Kayaks or SUPs instead. For surf stick to the west coast. Todos Santos, Cerritos area could be fun.

Andy
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 10:47 AM

Vehicle condition is most important. But from years of driving back & forth and sometimes trips out & back at Christmas time, I'm putting my my money on tires. Then I'm remembering the time I passed on a bridge, and stopped by a local policia car. "can't pass on bridges" he said. I asked where the signs are that says that? "you must know that when you come to Mexico". Took me almost half hour tellig him I didn't understand in my most perfect English (this was probably my second year driving down.) He finally went back to his car and drove off. Also remember the several times in Constitution of a stop by "local" policia, for a shake down I was not speeding both times. Also reminded of the time south of Guerro Negro, where you can be tempted to drive 100 if your vehicle so allows. DON"T. Should you have a problem going or coming, Baja Nomads are ALL OVER THE PLACE. If you can 'shout out" on the way using internet, keep that fact in mind. Comforting to know that. And I'm not just blowing smoke with this comment. They will drop whatever they are doing to help you. These are damned good people that live down here. God Bless who they are. Have a safe travel, and consider that every turn might have a policia car around it's corner.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 12:40 PM

I did not know that. Les did. I am still learning something new every day!

If your goal is to get to Cabo as fast as possible, go with 4x4's schedule. You miss out on some fine places to explore on the way, BUT your goal is to get to Cabo. And if you can fly, you will be there oh so much faster and refreshed, especially if you want to party (remember you have to do the same route to get back).

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 12:46 PM

A couple suggestions. Make your mid-way stop point San Ignacio instead of Guerro Negro - when you see the palm oasis and town of San Ignacio, you will understand.

Also, instead of Cabo (drunk loud Americans, 10$ beers, etc.), consider Mulege and Loreto and Bahia Concepcion as your destination. You and the kids will love the sea in those areas. And the scenery ain't bad on the eyes.

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 12:57 PM

You can do the border to Cabo in two days, no question. However, you'll have to be fairly disciplined and an early riser to avoid driving at night. Right now, there's about 13 hours of usable daylight here (halfway down the peninisula). First light is at about 6:15am, end of twilight is 7:00pm.

Stay as near to the border as possible the night before. Leave at dawn. Cross early AM. Drive straight through to Guerrero Negro or Vizcaino. About 12 hours with stops for gas / food / etc. Go to bed early. Get up early. Leave at dawn. Drive about 12 hours to Cabo.

Note you will also have a time change at the Baja Norte / Sur border in Guerrero. Sur is one hour later than Norte. Just a FYI.

[Edited on 3-1-2017 by chavycha]
Telluridecamper

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 02:13 PM

I have three weeks to be down there, not one. I will be hitting up multiple spots including Mulege, La Paz, Gonzaga Bay. Cabo is just a quick stop over for the night then heading East to Nine Palms and between.

Thanks for the info!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Telluridecamper  
I have three weeks to be down there, not one. I will be hitting up multiple spots including Mulege, La Paz, Gonzaga Bay. Cabo is just a quick stop over for the night then heading East to Nine Palms and between.

Thanks for the info!

Wonderful! Sorry if I harped on it being a 1-week trip... You would be surprised at how many ask here about driving to Cabo and back in 1 week!

There is soo soo much Baja to see and enjoy without ever getting to the tip!

In the Trip Reports forum here on Nomad, just look at some of them.

My reports are photo-filled and lots of details. No fishing or surfing, just driving, dirt roads, and relaxing on beaches or visiting points of interest. Here are some recent ones worth mentioning:

San Ignacio to Loreto to San Javier to Comondu to La Purisima + San Borja was last month(10 days): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85756

San Felipe to Punta San Francisquito (incl. Gonzaga and L.A. bays) was in January (7 days): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374

My Baja Extreme tour was in September (11 day trip): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=84056

5 days last July 2016 (Shell Island then to El Rosario): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=83482

9 days July 2015 camping from Shell Island and Bahia Concepcion: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=79730

I think my best full Baja trip report and great time was in July 2012, to Cabo and back, 15 days: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61576

[Edited on 3-1-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Telluridecamper

[*] posted on 3-1-2017 at 08:03 PM

Sweeeet thanks for the posts!! Going straight to the 15 day trip.

;)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.