Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Recommendation for one rod to bring to Baja in April
BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 07:42 AM
Recommendation for one rod to bring to Baja in April

In late April my wife and I are going to drive the length of the Baja Peninsula stopping to beach camp along the way. We are bringing kayaks and I'd like to do some fishing in the Sea Of Cortez out of my kayak. Could someone recommend what lb. test line would work as a starting point and would a medium action rod work OK? A recommendation of a few artificial baits would be appreciated as well. This will be my first attempt at salt water fishing and my expectations aren't high I just want to give it a try. My wife doesn't fish by the way. Thanks in advance for your responses!!!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 08:02 AM

If you can find an old copy of Gene Kira's book "Baja Catch" it would lead you in the right direction. It's dated and some of the spots may not be as good as they were back then but the tackle probably works just as good. I'm surf fishing Rocky Point on the east side of the gulf next week with 12# line and 1/2 to 1 oz spoons and lead head jigs with rubber tails. Maybe some bait also.
If you are in a boat of any kind with a fishing pole make sure you have a fishing license. Even if you aren't fishing!

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 09:30 AM

Any type of rubber lure will get destroyed in very short order by the swarms of triggerfish (chochi) that hang out in the Sea.

After living and fishing the SOC around the Loreto area for 16 years, absolutely the best lure for fishing nearshore and trolling along from a kayak would be a Rebel Fastrak style jointed minnow in either gold/black or silver/black colors.

These are not made anymore, but a few can be had off Ebay listed as "vintage" lures.
I believe the "jointed" style lure is far and away the better choice over a solid model.

For a deeper diving lure, a Rebel Spoonbill jointed minnow is great in those same colors.

For casting, a Krocodile metal lure in 1 oz or 1.5 oz chrome prism tape color is a great lure. Let flutter down to the bottom and begin a slow retrieve....too fast a retrieve will just spin the lure...rather than the enticing wobble.
Good luck

[Edited on 3-2-2017 by DaliDali]

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 09:41 AM

If I had to limit myself to only one rod to fish Baja hands down my goto would be a 7' 40# set up as it will handle nearly everything Baja might offer up. However I fish from a boat and typically target the larger species. For inshore kayak fishing however I would recommend a 7' rod with sufficient backbone for lifting such as a Calstar 270 matched with a 25-30# reel. Around the reefs you will want something that can turn their heads and get them away from the rocks as quick as possible

In Memory of E-57
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 10:09 AM

Learn your knots.
I can't break 30-lb test braid off of rocks without wrapping it around my paddle.

That said, my favorite combination is a Penn spinning reel in the 8000 size with a 40" retrieve per crank.

Load with 30-lb mono tied to 150 yards of 30-lb braid. Tie the braid to a 20-30' mono or fluoro leader in the 30-80-lb range.

With a 7', 30-80 lb spinning rod, it's perfect for jigging. Also good for casting from the beach.

Using only 3-oz and 4-oz diamond jigs, I have caught every fish worth catching in Baja...OK, I'm still waiting for my wahoo, but my buddy caught a couple with this setup.

Look up Yo-Yo fishing technique.

A decent rod, a Penn Battle II reel, mono, braid and 2-dozen diamond jigs, will run you around $250-$300 on Amazon. Bring some shore-casting and trolling stuff too.

Or you can buy a spool of line, hooks, sinkers, lures, gloves...:biggrin:

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 10:30 AM

any medium heavy X-fast and a handful of kroc's and you're good to go:coolup:
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 10:31 AM

I fish both sides of Baja. My go to is a 7' mid. action with a 30 lb Spinner. I use a 3/4oz to 1.5 Krocodile or Castmaster. I will also troll them with a bobber about 3-5 feet ahead of the lure. I will keep them off the bottom when you stop. You can use a floating rapala style too.
I will change the floro to lighter line depending on where and what I hope to catch.
I fish the plastic on the pac side, swim baits and grubs both work.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 10:46 AM

Consider a medium backbone rod (15-40) with a fast tip. Probably 7 foot. You can cast it a mile, yet you still have enough stiffness to land YT into the low 30s. The fast tip helps put at circular action into a knife/butterfly jig, if you work it right. Very enticing. That is for jigging from a boat.

I am really liking my new Penn Fathom 25N with a rod like this. Even 2oz lures are very castable. 50-65# spectra with a small topshot. Fishing from a boat, go with 40-50 topshot. If you are going surf casting, drop down to 15#. FG knots are pretty easy to tie in camp. I dont soak bait, surfcasting. I keep moving and casting, even if I have a live sand crab or whatever.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
Any type of rubber lure will get destroyed in very short order by the swarms of triggerfish (chochi) that hang out in the Sea.

After living and fishing the SOC around the Loreto area for 16 years, absolutely the best lure for fishing nearshore and trolling along from a kayak would be a Rebel Fastrak style jointed minnow in either gold/black or silver/black colors.

These are not made anymore, but a few can be had off Ebay listed as "vintage" lures.
I believe the "jointed" style lure is far and away the better choice over a solid model.

For a deeper diving lure, a Rebel Spoonbill jointed minnow is great in those same colors.

For casting, a Krocodile metal lure in 1 oz or 1.5 oz chrome prism tape color is a great lure. Let flutter down to the bottom and begin a slow retrieve....too fast a retrieve will just spin the lure...rather than the enticing wobble.
Good luck

What size Rebel Fastrak do you recommend?
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 11:19 AM

BBR.......there are only two sizes...4 1/2" and 5 1/2".

Not made anymore and tough to impossible to find.

I have now been forced to go to a similar Rebel without the "fastrac" lip feature.

http://www.rebellures.com/rebel-jointed-minnow-fishing-lure

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 01:12 PM

SoulPatch...

I too have bags and bags of the rubbery things and enough leadheads to sink a boat.

But for the life of me, I cannot keep the cochis off them.

But they work great in the Pac side for all kinds of fish that hang out nearshore. So I keep them.

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 02:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  
BBR.......there are only two sizes...4 1/2" and 5 1/2".

Not made anymore and tough to impossible to find.

I have now been forced to go to a similar Rebel without the "fastrac" lip feature.

http://www.rebellures.com/rebel-jointed-minnow-fishing-lure

Thanks!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 05:01 PM
Pro and con for taking a lighter weight rod

PRO

1 They are easy to pack around, and fun to use

2 You will have more fun landing smaller fish

3 You will have some great 'One that got away' stories!

CON

1 You will have some great 'One that got away' stories!

Hook's suggestions sound right on to me!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 05:47 PM

30# setup is fished fish 12# drag tops. 10,20 and 30# floro leaders if needed. the faster the better.

no rubber as the toothy critter will make swiss cheese out of it.

crocs, megabaits, lucky joe and a few bait hooks.

chale
rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 12:05 PM

Rod = Seeker black steel 809
Reel = Pro Gear V30-2
Load it with hollow spectra (White)
Leader = 10' of your favorite florocarbon
3/4 - 2 oz. leadheads...plain
6" Big Hammer swimbaits in clear/red flake, calico hunter, sardine and Xmas tree.
Pro Cure scent for your swimbaits

Learn how to tie a knot or two:

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php#ScrollPoint

Fish on structure and where water is moving (Boiler rocks, reefs, wrecks, jetties, high spots)

Fish incoming tides when possible

Only kill what you can eat.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 12:28 PM

:lol: thats some expensive taco bass and triggers you'll be catching!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBuckeye  
In late April my wife and I are going to drive the length of the Baja Peninsula stopping to beach camp along the way. We are bringing kayaks and I'd like to do some fishing in the Sea Of Cortez out of my kayak. Could someone recommend what lb. test line would work as a starting point and would a medium action rod work OK? A recommendation of a few artificial baits would be appreciated as well. This will be my first attempt at salt water fishing and my expectations aren't high I just want to give it a try. My wife doesn't fish by the way. Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

First time? Dont sunk a lot of $$ until you know you like it

Get a used rod/reel, and cheap lures. Jigging for bottom fish is less about the lure and more about the technique.

For kayak fishing for bottom fish consider just jigging with a hand line.
If you catch a little fish, put him on weighted line with a hook, and let the live bait work its magic far superior to a lure.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 01:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by BajaBuckeye  

First time? Dont sunk a lot of $$ until you know you like it

Get a used rod/reel, and cheap lures. Jigging for bottom fish is less about the lure and more about the technique.

For kayak fishing for bottom fish consider just jigging with a hand line.
If you catch a little fish, put him on weighted line with a hook, and let the live bait work its magic far superior to a lure.

Is there anything that you're not an expert on?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.