BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Gas crackdown, no sales from barrels in San Juanito and environs
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:39 AM
Gas crackdown, no sales from barrels in San Juanito and environs

Haven't seen this posted here yet or maybe I missed it. On TalkBaja:

"As of yesterday, the gas stations in San Juanico were closed down by the government. http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/pgr-asegura-5000-litros-gasolina-v...

No one knows when they will re-open. If you come to town be sure you have enough fuel to get back to where you last fueled up. The closest fuel is Zaragoza, a little over an hours drive to the South."

Also under comments:

"Just found out they closed every station that sells out of barrels. No fuel in San Isidro, La Purisima, Las Barrancas and San Juanico. I was told they even confiscated the fuel. This may not have a quick resolution."

See TalkBaja Facebook page for more comments

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 09:04 AM

Law and order!
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 10:39 AM

Does that mean no more gas sales in Cataviña?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 12:36 PM

That is utterly ridiculous.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 12:38 PM

Apparently people were not licensed and were not paying taxes on sales
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 12:51 PM

As one can see in Mexico one never knows about enforcement of rules and such. That is why one should always have their paperwork in order. :saint:
And even then.....................who knows. :rolleyes:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 03:29 PM

Silly me....I assumed it was probably some sort of fire and safety issue!

If it is a tax issue, don't those who purchase gasoline with the intention of re-selling it, pay the tax where they buy it?

I wonder if a Pemex truck will show up making the rounds like a propane sales truck? I look forward to the speaker broadcasting a few chords, followed by "El Gasolina!".

A different tune than I hear in Baja, but you get the idea!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Mexico+%27el+gas%27+pro...

[Edited on 3-5-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 03:42 PM

remember it wasn't long ago they decided to ban street tacos!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 04:34 PM

I think Mexico is on a Value Added Tax system. If so the guys buying the gas need to add the value of the tax when they sell it. In other words if they sell it for a dollar more per gallon the tax would be on the dollar and then give it to the government. Maybe that's the problem. Also are the guys selling out of barrels keeping any records, probably not.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 05:06 PM

Seems like the guys along the highway don't have many govt services to grab on to. They provide a service that doesnt exist and get shut down?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 05:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Seems like the guys along the highway don't have many govt services to grab on to. They provide a service that doesnt exist and get shut down?

Law and order!
It might be anarchy if every business operated without licenses or rules.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 05:17 PM

Exactly, Woody!

The times I remember buying gas from a barrel were (in recent memory) in Bahia Asunción before the Pemex, Bahia De Los Angeles, Bahia Tortuga, and the last place I remember was Las Barrancas.

Heck, I remember buying gas in San Felipe when they had the gravity-fill pumps with the glass tank on top (at least when you asked for 10 liters, you could see you got 10 liters.)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 05:58 PM

The Pemex at the turnoff to B.O.L.A. used to be open, but down at the bay gasoline was sold out of clear plastic jugs.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 06:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Exactly, Woody!

The times I remember buying gas from a barrel were (in recent memory) in Bahia Asunción before the Pemex, Bahia De Los Angeles, Bahia Tortuga, and the last place I remember was Las Barrancas.

Heck, I remember buying gas in San Felipe when they had the gravity-fill pumps with the glass tank on top (at least when you asked for 10 liters, you could see you got 10 liters.)

I believe Bahia de los Angeles had one of the old-type "glass tank" gravity dispensers too for years, right opposite Diaz's place at the boat ramp.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 06:51 PM

Probably this won't last but it sets up an impossible situation for off road people traveling from, say, Mulege to San Juanico and any parts beyond there. Even with my 4 gallon bike tank I need to gas up before I head either North to San Ignatio or South anywhere.

And there are some fairly significant business forces in San Juanico who are going to be hit bad by this.

It is another example of, "Don't let your reach exceed your grasp." Like people aren't going to fill up a big plastic container at the nearest gas station and pass it on to their neighbors. There aren't enough gas police in the world to make that work.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:08 PM

We came up last Sunday, And I did not see the guy selling from
barrel's at B of LA junction! I always see him there! We have used that several times with prerunning over the years.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:21 PM

A lot of things could knock the Baja economy flat. That is, the tourist part of the economy which is way more important than most people realize. And I don't mean the horrors within a day of the U.S. border of from LaPaz South. Those aren't Baja to me.

One is violence. There really isn't much now. Way less than an equivalent area in the states.

The other would be no gas. It was enough of a hassle just recently with the disturbances over price hikes. If you have to stay on Rt. 1 to get gas, what's the point of coming down here? Boring two lane road. A trip or two and you've seen it. like the fifteen bikes that just roared through Mulege today together. I can't imagine that they are seeing anything but the back of another bike.

These are my personal prejudices of course. Who else's would I be writing about?
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by liknbaja127  
We came up last Sunday, And I did not see the guy selling from
barrel's at B of LA junction! I always see him there! We have used that several times with prerunning over the years.

He was missing on one of my recent trips and I was told that he was making a gas run to restock. First week of Feb.he was there as usual.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Gulliver  
A lot of things could knock the Baja economy flat. That is, the tourist part of the economy which is way more important than most people realize. And I don't mean the horrors within a day of the U.S. border of from LaPaz South. Those aren't Baja to me.

One is violence. There really isn't much now. Way less than an equivalent area in the states.

The other would be no gas. It was enough of a hassle just recently with the disturbances over price hikes. If you have to stay on Rt. 1 to get gas, what's the point of coming down here? Boring two lane road. A trip or two and you've seen it. like the fifteen bikes that just roared through Mulege today together. I can't imagine that they are seeing anything but the back of another bike.

These are my personal prejudices of course. Who else's would I be writing about?

Agreed, when riding I have always counted on being able to buy gas in remote areas. This will certainly make it difficult for the locals in that area as well as for tourists.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-4-2017 at 09:37 PM

One of the funniest things I have ever noticed in Baja and Mexico in general is Norte Americanos opining on things Mexicano and saying, "Well, YOU'ED THINK ... !". Please, quit trying to Americanize Mexico, it is what it is. There is no rationale of one vs. the other. This gas SNAFU will also pass, probably a bait-and-switch to take away from all the other b-chit going on with the new drug lord wars affecting the gov't... kinda like what's going on in our own sphere in El Norte right now. Wiretaps and such. The barrels will be back, and so will the vendadores when the mordida is sufficiently paid in full. Follow the money.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.