Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: FMM (Tourist Card) update March 2017
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 11:13 PM
FMM (Tourist Card) update March 2017

My Previous FMM was 4 days from expiring when I began my current Baja trip. The downtown Mexicali border is being expanded so there is some construction, but no problem.

The INM building is on the left, the first building in Mexico once you clear the border crossing. There is usually few or no regular parking spots so double parking here is okay, you are likely to hear.

The INM official was outside chatting with a border officer.
He spoke perfect English and apologized the cost this year was up to $30 from $25. I said I had pesos, and in pesos it is 500. I went over the rules and they are still that the 180 day FMM can be used for any number of trips during that period and thrown away when it expires.

The free 7 day MUST be turned back in when you leave Mexico. I mentioned how some have said the Tijuana INM told people they didn't need to.
He said that is not the case and don't get info from Internet sites, but ask INM.

From the INM, there are 3 streets radiating away... take the street with the train tracks in the center to head south. Lots of signs for San Felipe, too.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 08:14 AM

For what it is worth I will throw in my own experience with the 7 day free FMM here. I'm not advocating one way or another.

In November 2015, our group did our annual trip to Gonzaga Bay. We have been going for decades. We never stopped for an free FMM before but decided to on this trip because of all the chatter on this forum. At the time forum members were stating get the free FMM but don't bother returning it.

Upon getting the free FMM at the Calexico West border the INM official did state that we must return them. We didn't 😝

In Feb 2016, we travelled to PVR and got the paid 180 day FMM. At TJ airport. Passports were scanned. There was no mention of not returning the free one.

In Nov 2016, we went down to Gonzaga again. This time we didn't bother with the free FMM. Mainly because at the time some of the group didn't want to risk getting hassled at the Calexico West border for not turning in last year's free FMM. It would have been interesting to see if we would have.

In Jan 2017, we went to PVR again. We got the free FMM at the Otay Mesa INM office as we walked across the border. They scanned our passports and gave us the FMM. There was no mention of them being needed to returned or any thing about our non returned Nov 2015 free FMMs.

So what does this all say? It's Mexico😀😀😀😀

YMMV

[Edited on 3-6-2017 by mrfatboy]

[Edited on 3-6-2017 by mrfatboy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 08:52 AM

Yes, it's Mexico!
Thanks for you report!
When Baja Angel and I got the free ones in Mexicali, a year ago, our passports were scanned and told to return them, which we did at Tecate. They rescanned our passports. It appears that they are being traced. This to ensure people don't stay longer on the free one, I suppose?

Anyway, Nomad is where we can read the reports and you can decide! In my 5,000 miles of Baja travel in 2016 and so far in 2017 between the border and Loreto region, not once was there any INM check asking to see the FMM. The Guerrero Negro INM booth at the stop sign has not been open.

You know what they say, right?
Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it!

[Edited on 3-6-2017 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 09:29 AM

I don't believe one can state there are Imm regs that ALL I'm
offices follow. Doesn't happen that way. There are slight differences, how in heck is one to turn a 7 day fmm at TJ?
Next to impossible. The logic escapes me, as one is required,
at least by Mexicali West, to turn in the 7 day fmm but not the
180 day. But I cross at Mexicalli West, if I have a 7 day from
that office, I return it. Had a TJ 7 day, not returned, Mexicalli
West didn't mention it. Continuing, clear as mud. Would be
nice for uniform regs
soylent_green
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The free 7 day MUST be turned back in when you leave Mexico. I mentioned how some have said the Tijuana INM told people they didn't need to.
He said that is not the case and don't get info from Internet sites, but ask INM.

in 2015, I was at a seminar where the Baja head of Immigracion, Rodolfo Figueroa, was asked about returning FMNs. His response: he pretended to wad up a piece of paper and throw it in the trash.

---

if anyone is interested in an official clarification, here is the TJ office to call. An official answer from the main office would end a lot of worrying for some.

http://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/baja-california/

Rodulfo Figueroa Pacheco

01 (664) 636 60 17 // 01 (664) 636 60 22

01 (664) 636 60 23 // 01 (664) 636 61 66

01 (664) 636 61 73 // 01 (664) 636 61 80

Calle Diamante s/n, Fracc. Esmeralda, Delegación San Antonio de los Buenos, C.P. 22640 Tijuana, Baja California.

Horario de Atención al Público: Lunes a Viernes de 09:00 a 13:00 hrs.

[Edited on 3-7-2017 by soylent_green]
mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 11:46 AM

Mexicali West seems to be the wild card.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  

in 2015, I was at a seminar where the Baja head of Immigracion, Rodolfo Figueroa, was asked about returning FMNs. His response: he pretended to wad up a piece of paper and throw it in the trash.

Calling a Mex Govt office is not something I have the patience
for. I for one would like Sr. Figueroa to call over the Mexicali
West and inform of proper handling of 7 day fmm's. I have
been told directly by that office twice within the last few
mo's to return the 7 day fmm. There have been 2 reports
here of tourists being denied a 7 day fmm from that office
due to not returning a previous one. Don't know what their
screen shows when info entered, they for some reason, a
7 day fmm issued by them they handle differently. Not
sure I feel comfortable telling them their regs

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 12:21 PM

Inm is on FB. And you can find their info email addys online. Suggest that y'all ask 'em via msgr or email :light::?::light::?::light:

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by soylent_green  

Calling a Mex Govt office is not something I have the patience
for. I for one would like Sr. Figueroa to call over the Mexicali
West and inform of proper handling of 7 day fmm's. I have
been told directly by that office twice within the last few
mo's to return the 7 day fmm. There have been 2 reports
here of tourists being denied a 7 day fmm from that office
due to not returning a previous one. Don't know what their
screen shows when info entered, they for some reason, a
7 day fmm issued by them they handle differently. Not
sure I feel comfortable telling them their regs

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 12:23 AM

The logic for tracking the free FMM is to catch people staying longer than 7 days, for free!

If you pay the 500 pesos, then you are done donating to the government. They have no need to follow your passport if you paid.

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 05:38 AM

I never bothered to look at the free FMM but isn't there an "entry" or "valid Until" date stamped or writen on it ?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 07:22 AM

Naturally... but since we turned ours in, can't show you. However, our passports were scanned getting them in Mexicali and turning them in at Tecate.

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 08:38 AM

So the only real benefit for turning the FMM back in to the INM would be to ensure that the tourist actually left.

It seems the Mexicali West INM thinks they can collect more money by none returned FMM penalties than actually stopping people and veifiying if they have a valid FMM.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 09:26 AM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85928

David K - I guess I'm not explaining this right. It's not that they physically didn't allow us to cross or come back. They just wanted to know where we were going and when. Seeing that we had walked across the border they knew we weren't going to walk to San Felipe. We did buy the 180 day one online and just couldn't get the silly thing stamped. Technically the FMM is only good for one entry and it's clearly stated as such on their website:

"The applicant acknowledges herein that the FMM has a maximum validity of 180 calendar days and shall be valid for one entry only."
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 09:59 AM

Airplane FMM, one use.
Automobile FMM, good for 180 days, regardless if it is one trip or a dozen.
I asked the English speaking INM officer lasy week. My current one then had 6 days left on it... and I have been to Baja three times on it.
This was actually true for years.

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info in the first post DK. Going to try crossing at downtown this trip (with a Jeep in tow).

You gonna eat that?
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 10:50 AM

Airplane FMM, one use.
I asked the English speaking INM officer lasy week. My current one then had 6 days left on it... and I have been to Baja three times on it.
This was actually true for years.

So just to muddy the waters. You are saying that three2tango does not know what he is talking about and the FMM does not state one entry.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 01:56 PM

I am in Northern California at the moment, reading the back of the FMM that was issued on Nov 20, 2016 at Mexicali west.

The top line, right under IMPORTANT (in red letters), it says; During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country.

Either the policy has changed, or I am in violation of the law! I am not arguing with DK, just reporting on what I am looking at on the form.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 02:48 PM

Airplane FMM, one use.
I asked the English speaking INM officer lasy week

With you on that, probably the same Mex Imm officer I've talked
to at Mexicali West the last 2 times, younger guy perfect English
said fmm CAN be used for mulitiple entries. On occasion there
has been Mex Imm positioned just as one enters Mexicali West,
will flag tourists driving, tell them to get an fmm at the nearby
office, if one has an existing 180 fmm that will satisfy them,
crossing into TJ by foot, if one has a current fmm you can
bypass the tourist fmm line, and enter with existing fmm,
can only speak of those 2 crossings. Internet info is, at times,
different than what is applied at the Border

mrfatboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 04:47 PM

I used a paid 180 FMM bought at TIJ airport multiple times to PVR. I guess I got lucky. When stopped the authorities look at it and say OK. Maybe they are not paying attention😜
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 05:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  
I used a paid 180 FMM bought at TIJ airport multiple times to PVR. I guess I got lucky. When stopped the authorities look at it and say OK. Maybe they are not paying attention😜

The previous mentioning of fmm's being good for 1 entry
when flying
is referring to flights from the US into Mex. Typically they
collect the fmm's as one boards the plane for return to the
US. A domestic flight within Mex, TJ/Cabo etc. MAY be
different, in the past no one asked for an fmm when flying
back from Vallarta to TJ. So a valid 180 day could/should
be used for mulitiple domestic flights from TJ. But as we
all know, it's Mexico. To me the Imm regs are the one's
that the Mex Imm officer say they are at the time you
are dealing with him

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.