BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mexico Gas problems with newer- especially 2016+ Tacomas ?
jaymtb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 10:33 AM
Mexico Gas problems with newer- especially 2016+ Tacomas ?

Hi,
For many years I have been a traveling through Baja and Mainland Mexico with older Toyotas. The First Gen 1995-2004 Tacomas had an inline fuel filter that would sometimes get constricted and have to be replaced due to power loss. That was easy to do in the field. It seemed to be more of a problem in remote towns in Sinaloa and Sonora.

With the transport distance and old tanks, sometimes some contamination can occur, not to mention barrel gas- or outright watering of fuel.
Obviously some common sense measures should be taken. One is to avoid fueling when a tanker is dumping fuel into underground tanks, which stirs up sediments and water. Another is to avoid barrel gas, and dubious stations.
However, the 3rd Generation 2016+Tacoma- and perhaps 2nd generation? has a screen/filter buried in the tank, which is part of the fuel pump assembly. This assembly is very pricey and obviously hard to access. It is not certain how well this internal filter works in terms of micron filter rating?
The question is: Has anyone with 2016+ Tacomas had any fuel system problems? Has anyone considered installing an inline fuel filter downstream of the tank to prevent contamination from getting to the engine/high pressure pump/injectors?

Thanks,
Jay

[Edited on 3-6-2017 by jaymtb]
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 11:04 AM

I can't answer your question on the in-line fuel filter but I've owned 4 Tacomas, all bought new starting in 1995 and last being a 2011 which I still own and has serious fuel issues, the main issue being draining my bank account on MPG. When I bought the truck new it was advertised as 21 highway, 18 local. All nonsense, the best I ever got was 19 highway and five yrs later I'm at 15.3 highway, yes, you read that right. This truck has a little over 60k on it, I took it into the dealer for the 60k maintenance 2 months ago and voiced my concerns, they said they would check everything and it all came back "good". I've been a die hard Toyota fan for 30 yrs, have owned a couple of 4runners and all of the Tacomas but am slowly losing faith, my current Tacoma just got back from it's 3rd recall, they had to replace both rear leaf springs this time. Sorry to derail your question and I wish you luck.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 11:07 AM

PS. Understand that if you start installing after market parts on the engine/fuel delivery system it will most likely void any factory warranties.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 11:27 AM

Three Tacomas, 2001, 2005, 2010, all 4WD Off Road. The 2010 was made in Baja, in fact.

Never one fuel issue in all the thousands of Baja miles.

Oh, it is a truck no an eco commuter, so we don't expect it to get 30mpg. Sure that would be nice but we have a Corolla for paved roads.
I get 15-17 mpg and 13 with a lot of four wheeling added in. My best was 20 point something a couple times driving to Tucson.
I have the 4.0 V-6 automatic. 97,000 miles so far.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 12:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Three Tacomas, 2001, 2005, 2010, all 4WD Off Road. The 2010 was made in Baja, in fact.

Oh, it is a truck no an eco commuter, so we don't expect it to get 30mpg. Sure that would be nice but we have a Corolla for paved roads.
I get 15-17 mpg and 13 with a lot of four wheeling added in. My best was 20 point something a couple times driving to Tucson.

Same truck I have now and all of my Tacomas have been 4wd off road. Hell, I bought my first Toyota Pick up in 1982, another in 85 and 89, this isn't including my Tacomas so I have a little experience with these trucks. I've personally experienced the quality of these trucks decline and it bothers me. How many times was your current Tacoma recalled David K?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 12:31 PM

Makes 14.7mpg on my 03 Tundra seem all the more palatable!

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Makes 14.7mpg on my 03 Tundra seem all the more palatable!

No doubt! I love my Toyotas but 15.3 when advertised at 21? And then 3 recalls? The last one being major. I receive a recall notice from Toyota saying that the rear leaf springs are defective, this could be quite dangerous since the leaf springs could shatter, rupture the fuel tank and cause an explosion. They are working on the issue and would notify me as soon as a resolution was met and replacement parts were available but "if you hear a loud pop, pull over and exit vehicle immediately" Please drive safely... I kid you not.. The dealer called me 8 months later that the replacement parts were in stock.
y2kbaja

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 01:19 PM

In my 2005 I only run premium in Baja. On a trip to La Paz and back my check engine light will come on about San Felipe on the way home. After a couple of tanks of US gas the light goes out. I've never changed the fuel filter. 120K miles.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 02:19 PM

I've had the check engine light come on in my car in Baja, too. I chalked it up to the gas station attendant not tightening the gas cap sufficiently. Now I make sure to tighten the cap myself every time.

Of course, all my cars are vastly superior to Tacomas in every regard to begin with. J/K, flame on. ;)
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Same truck I have now and all of my Tacomas have been 4wd off road. Hell, I bought my first Toyota Pick up in 1982, another in 85 and 89, this isn't including my Tacomas so I have a little experience with these trucks. I've personally experienced the quality of these trucks decline and it bothers me. How many times was your current Tacoma recalled David K?

Other than political ones, like the gas pedal they want to change because a loaner Lexus had two floor mats on the driver's side and that sadly killed a family in Santee.

There is the rear spring recall. That's all I can think of. Never a drivetrain problem.

My 2001 was perfect, my 2005 had a couple issues, and my 2010 is almost flawless. The new A-TRAC system makes it the best of the three. I was just using it tha past hour on the abandoned and rutted high road from La Bocana beach and petrified forest.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 03:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by y2kbaja  
In my 2005 I only run premium in Baja. On a trip to La Paz and back my check engine light will come on about San Felipe on the way home. After a couple of tanks of US gas the light goes out. I've never changed the fuel filter. 120K miles.

My take on premium is that not many use it there so the fuel sits around for a long time and degrades. No science involved just never had an issue with Magna. I even ran that in my FJC which specifically states "premium only". The 2008 Taco don't seem to care one bit tho.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 03:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bubba  

Other than political ones, like the gas pedal they want to change because a loaner Lexus had two floor mats on the driver's side and that sadly killed a family in Santee.

There is the rear spring recall. That's all I can think of. Never a drivetrain problem.

My 2001 was perfect, my 2005 had a couple issues, and my 2010 is almost flawless. The new A-TRAC system makes it the best of the three. I was just using it tha past hour on the abandoned and rutted high road from La Bocana beach and petrified forest.

You are wrong on quite a few points. I had a recall on my 1997 Tacoma to replace the driver side floor mat because it curled up and had a tendency to interfere with both the gas and brake pedal, these were stock Tacoma mats out of the factory. They recalled my current Tacoma due to the same reason but not only replaced the driver side floor mat but also shortened the brake pedal. The rear leaf springs were a major flaw, the dealer had my truck for two days to remedy the situation. Did you have yours replaced?
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 04:07 PM

The tacoma is not all that hot on the market any more. one reason....fuel economy... http://consumerguide.com/best-buys/compact-pickup-truck/
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 04:22 PM

No, at least not yet. My springs were much better than the '05, which let the truck bottom out with any load hitting bumps. I added Ride Rites to solve and 5100 shocks.

Last year, I did the same to the current truck, then 6+ years old. The dealer will remove my air bags to install the new springs, but won't put them back. The spring recall is for a chance that a leaf will break and hit the gas tank. Poof!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 04:33 PM

Re toyota mpg,... i was going to buy a new 4runner, but now keen on the f150 crew cab w/ 2.7 engine, about the same mpg as 4runner, but more room.

The new engines by ford are way more efficient than the moldy oldies toyota is selling. Totota better step up their game!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 06:16 PM

Buy a Jeep!:bounce:

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 09:33 PM

X Class!
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 10:56 PM

Oh yah, bad mileage + mechanical woes... and still no Jeep truck since the Comanche was killed after Chrysler bought AMC/Jeep in the mid-80s.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 07:06 AM

Manufacturers have been using the filter in the tank method on some vehicles for at least 20 years. Must work well.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 07:29 AM

I did some digging and I am impressed that Toyota did away with the inline filter. The tank "fuel sock" should be able to be replaced without buying the entire pump assy. I think it would be easy and worthwhile installing an inline filter. Make sure it is high quality though. The Fzj80 Land Cruisers come with the fuel sock and inline filter. The socks need to be replaced every 100k. However the inline filters are pretty robust.

RE: Toyota truck/4Runner/Land Cruiser MPG. Yeah, I am surprised the newest motors are still lacking in that area. My 2uz-fe V8 w/ 5sp AT in my 4Runner gets 20-22mpg which is pretty decent for a V8. It barely needs to work with the lightweight vehicle.

[Edited on 3-7-2017 by BooJumMan]

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.