BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Which Baja vehicle do you like ??
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 01:21 PM
Which Baja vehicle do you like ??

Hello all ya Baja people ,
I'm in the process of selling my Honda Element ( that I love ) but not practical for
the dirt roads of Baja . So I was thinking of buying a TOYOTA Tacoma 4x4 w/ a pop-up camper shell.
Question is what vehicle do you people think would be best .?
I really wanted a Sportsmobile 4x4 diesel van BUT the cost of them suckers is crazy !
I an pretty much decided on a pop-up camper for the light weight, less wind resistance and being stealth sleeping in cities.
So I really would like your opinions on which make and model of pickup truck you prefer ?
gator
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 01:28 PM

I currently drive a f250 diesel. If I had it over to do again I probably get the new chevy colorado zr2. Looks like a very intriguing truck, but it's not available yet.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 01:30 PM

Oh, boy....here we go !

And what tires and oil are best ?

Don't believe everything you think....
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 01:58 PM

Oh God. ..?
Am I stirring up a hornets nest ??

Sorry I just wanted a few experienced Baja dirt road people's opinion.
kevin_in_idaho
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Oh God. ..?

Here's my opinion. I have a new diesel and love it. RAM1500 w/ a Four Wheel Camper. Great combo.

Other trucks are good too but here's one thing to consider if you want a diesel. The new diesels use ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur) and that's only available in Baja Norte. Once you pass that line, the diesel can void your warrantee you get in the south. So.... if you could find an older, pre DEF, etc. diesel truck, that's what I'd get. When you go to Baja look and see what you see most of; older diesel Cummins, Fords, etc. because they can run on anything....

If you want something newer, there are a lot of options. Just get a 4x4.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 02:19 PM

sounds like you would like to go the van route, do you really need a 4wd diesel? after years of beating the crap out of various vehicles in baja by far our favorite was our Camberg lifted 2wd ford E-150, took that thing everywhere and never got stuck. well, not everywhere!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 02:34 PM

Hello all ya Baja people ,
I'm in the process of selling my Honda Element ( that I love ) but not practical for
the dirt roads of Baja . So I was thinking of buying a TOYOTA Tacoma 4x4 w/ a pop-up camper shell.
Question is what vehicle do you people think would be best .?
I really wanted a Sportsmobile 4x4 diesel van BUT the cost of them suckers is crazy !
I an pretty much decided on a pop-up camper for the light weight, less wind resistance and being stealth sleeping in cities.
So I really would like your opinions on which make and model of pickup truck you prefer ?

A red crew cab 1/2 ton pickup truck is best.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 02:39 PM

One that gets you back to the USA.

A Tacoma with anything in it will need suspension help.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 03:10 PM

I drive a Tacoma - it's been the length of Baja and to many remote spots. When not in my Tacoma, I am in a Team Tacoma - both extremely capable and reliable. My next truck.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 03:13 PM

I know a couple of friends that have a taco with a popup style camper, they like them. They have done suspension on them all, either airbags and or lifts. When they added the popup the mileage really went down. Get what you want, I reason I might like something, is the same reason you will hate it. Most trucks are well built and do a good job.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 04:09 PM

Try to be more specific on your limitations / wants / needs and you'll get better recommendations.

Budget? Full size / compact pickup? Towing? Etc...
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 07:19 PM

Oh God. ..?

Not at all. Your questions are legit and many on this forum are more than willing to help you out. That is what the majority on this site will do. Unfortunately the usual suspects are always there to make sarcastic comments they think are cute and somehow make themselves relevant. Personally, I prefer a Jeep Wrangler as a good reliable all around Baja rig in stock configuration for light to medium off road and reasonably comfortable highway driving. It also is a good tow vehicle behind an RV.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 10:48 PM

I used to be a Tacoma guy until I drove the Tundra. What a difference in ride comfort! Like driving a Lazy Boy. I have the 2010 quad cab and 6.5' bed with the 4.7L. 120,000 miles and completely happy. It goes everywhere that I would drive a Tacoma in Baja and in much more comfort and room.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 11:43 PM

Tacoma 4WD Off Road TRD y nada mas!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 07:29 AM

Tacomas are nice but the Gas mileage is horrible for a small truck....I agree with philidog and get a tundra much more room and comfort.

Derek
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 07:56 AM

If you are an explorer, a full size truck is just too big for some trails. Even the Tacoma 4 door I have shows some under body damage, including the rear bumper, due to the length. Cameron Steele, a huge off road expert driver, could not get his Ford Raptor all the way too Mission Santa MarĂ­a. Bigger isn't always better! ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 08:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LancairDriver  
Oh God. ..?

Not at all. Your questions are legit and many on this forum are more than willing to help you out. That is what the majority on this site will do. Unfortunately the usual suspects are always there to make sarcastic comments they think are cute and somehow make themselves relevant. Personally, I prefer a Jeep Wrangler as a good reliable all around Baja rig in stock configuration for light to medium off road and reasonably comfortable highway driving. It also is a good tow vehicle behind an RV.

That wrangler would look curte with a pop-top on it.

OP stated his needs. most comments stayed on track and tried to help out...there were the usual my way or the hwy which addressed their desires and not the OP's.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 08:56 AM

Hey all,
Thanks ever SO MUCH !
You have given me so other options to investigate in more detail.
Ya, , the gas mileage on a Tacoma with a pop- up concerns me as I'm retired and do a whole lot of traveling . The Ford 1/2 ton diesel w/ pop-up looks like a better fit . It is just me so I don't need a ton of room. I've been using my Honda Element with the rear seats out for camping. It's OK for short trips but I want much more comfort.
Long ago 1986 I bought a Nisson hardbody 4x4 V6 and put a shell on it.
I was surprised at tbe low gas mileag .
I was looking to pay about $ 30,000 to $40,000 max.
I

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by Paco Facullo]
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 10:26 AM

The best Baja vehicle, ever, since the dawn of time and for all time yet to come, was our former Sportsmobile. Decent diesel mileage. Installed a good Italian marine fridge, inverter, solar, 40 gallon Transfer Flow fuel tank, Pro Rock 60 front axle, Dana 70 rear and Atlas II transfer case... Worked great when the kids were small, but not big enough as they grew. Two downsides (had to do the outside shower thing, but the bathroom was just a cactus and shovel away). seated six, slept four. Anyway, do that.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 10:37 AM

Sweet van. ,,!!

Yep, REALLY like the Sportsmobile but very expensive.
Don't want to put THAT much money into a vehicle.

DON'T SEND HELP ! Love it !
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.