BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Which Baja vehicle do you like ??
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 10:49 AM

I got ours on the cheap. Really cheap (repo'd, RV dealer in TX bought it at action but no market for those in TX -Yea, I flew and drove it the 2.2K miles home (included replacing a u-joint in a parking lot in Utah). Of course, the market was in the tank ('08) at the time. Needed a lot of work (I completely redid the suspension including having the springs recurved, added two leafs in the rear and one in the front, different shock mounting system and custom valved shocks, Dynaloc hubs as the Warn hubs kept breaking, etc. etc. etc. Sold it for $55k in '10. Saw it on Craigslist a few months back. Same price (of course it sold in short order). Anyway, they can be had on the relative cheap, but you've got to be really watching CL, the Sportsmobile forum, etc. and be ready to pounce. The reason we sold ours and the reason the two following owners sold it was growing kids. Doesn't sound like that will be an issue for you. Anyway, it's something to consider if you find a good used one at a good price. Mine was over the top when I finished it. You can find ones not so built for less and closer to your price range.

[Edited on 3-8-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 11:06 AM

I know what Baja local folks want:
When I take my 88 Toyota FWD P/U with the 22R motor, I get at least one offer to buy it yelled at me each time I take it to Baja. When I took it to Cabo and back I had more than a dozen offers, geez I sure was glad my Boxer dog was with me that time.

Es Todo Bueno
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 11:13 AM

We coveted the Sportsmobile when we saw them way back when. Because I needed a truck that I could use for work and I am 6'4" and we like to take too much stuff we ultimately ended up with an F-250 and a pop up. It has served us well over the years and it still running - 1999 7.3 321,000 miles. As we speak camper is at factory getting some upgrades and looking forward to many more years of use on both sides of the border.

With the camper fully loaded and cruise control set at 65 we get 14 MPG. YMMV. :saint:

Calamajue.jpg - 40kB

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 11:43 AM

Agree with the Crazy Cat...... Truck with a four wheel camper.. You can unload it and have a regular truck anytime. The sports mobile , although admittedly bad to the bone, is so specific a vehicle..

I'm on my fifth Toyota and third four wheel camper in 25 years of off road Baja.. Could not think of a more versatile and nimble set up than a FWC Hawk model on a first gen Tundra.

Your going to eat crap on mileage no matter what you do.. Few exceptions

Disclaim- both previous Four wheel campers were sold to upgrade only, both still in great shape and sold for more than I paid...

Good luck

TT
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 12:24 PM

If I may retort :-)

On our second pickup/truck camper combo since the Sporty, so, obviously, I'm a truck/camper guy. With the Sporty, we saw 17MPG (7.3) on the insterstate. What I wouldn't give... I hauled our wakeboard boat, trailer heaped with hay bails, etc. and still drove it as a daily driver (until diesel hit $5 (remember that)) and then used a Corolla as my daily. Very versatile. Not as versatile as a pickup, but for a Baja rig (the OP's question), it is hard to beat. I do miss asking for a soda or Hot Pocket while driving and being handed one. If I could go back in time, I MIGHT have kept the sporty and bought/built an off-road tear drop to pull behind it (for the kids....those damn kids). Wife also really wanted a bathroom and I can say we smell better having one. Regardless, let us know what your get! Then, let us tell you how to build it!!

You gonna eat that?
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 02:27 PM

You guy's are great ! Thanks again.
Lots of good info.
I'm off to Thailand tomorrow for a month but rest aassured I will keep you all abreast of things when they happen .
Hey what guy's don't dig talking about trucks, fishing, chicks and travels ?
Paco de China
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 03:40 PM

Paco,

I had a 2005 Access Cab Tacoma with a 2 inch lift, 31 inch tires and a pop up camper on it and loved it. The mileage went from 18 to 13/14 with the camper on and I did add airbags to the rear which I would highly recommend if you go this route. The newer Tundras with nothing in it averages 16 at best, add the camper and I am sure the mileage will plummet. The older body style Tundra with the 4.7 V8 (2000-2006) is great because of size and MPG but good luck finding one with under 100K miles.

I sold my 2005 with 200k miles just last year and bought a 2016 Tacoma, STAY AWAY from the 2016. I didn't have a single problem with the 2005 and had put probably 20k Baja miles on it. The new motor and transmission combo in the 2016 is terrible (shifts all the time, feels like no torque, terrible throttle response).

If I could do it all over again I would buy a 2015 Tacoma 4x4 access cab with firestone ride rite airbags and put the pop up on that. Very hard combo to beat for just a solo traveler.

Just my experience
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 04:12 PM

Cool man,

I'm just going to suck it up as for mileage. The savings you will get on not doing hotels will more than make up for it.

Thanks all for the great responses and suggestions.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-8-2017 at 06:05 PM

"sucking it up for mileage" not only costs money but range...

And range is king in Baja.

We camped next to a young couple from Canuckland, they had a severely overloaded Toyota and were getting just over 200 miles to the tank. I assured them that the new station at Gonzaga would likely give them the boost to make it north,
but they were carrying two 5 gal jerry cans full of petrol all the time.
Bummer to have to pack it in your rig, and not in your tank.

My 19 year old F150 gives me 400+ miles range, and it is very comfy with a v-8 that gets me right down the road.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 03:38 PM

Range is definitely a consideration. With my Tacoma/Camper set up I was getting 250+ miles per tank and personally never ran into a situation where fuel was an issue, just had to be sure to plan ahead.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 05:16 PM

Or buy a $5k rig and stay in hotels for the next 1,000 nights you spend in Baja.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 07:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Or buy a $5k rig and stay in hotels for the next 1,000 nights you spend in Baja.

That's the way I roll! I bought my little soft top Kia 4x4 for $3200 dollars and put another thousand or so into tires, suspension, clutch and belts.

It has made five trips at least as far as the east cape, averaging about six weeks per trip. That includes a lot of back roads, arroyos. and beaches.

I have had more smiles per dollar with that little rig, save a bunch with liability only insurance, and if things go really sideways I can afford to walk away from it without a huge financial hit. Kind of like a lot of Baja investments!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2017 at 08:00 PM

Though many may be happy with pricey rigs (I'd love me a Sportsmobile too!), the idea that you're going to 'save on hotels' by buying a $40k rig with camper top is some ludicrous false economy.

We took a $9k Jeep down this year and I felt it was a little too 'nice' for everyday Baja use, though it was comfortable on the drive down and back (heated seats, woot!). I didn't like when I shoved it up a dirt path in an arroyo and raked all sides with cholla spines. Or when I was dipping the rear tires in the surf while launching the boat. I'd have liked it a lot less with a $40k Tundra. But there is something to be said for a nearly new vehicle which is less likely to go ta taas-up on you in the middle of nowhere. To each their own.

[Edited on 3-10-2017 by chavycha]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  

No hotels where I want to be.
Friends have always asked why I don't have a place in Baja. I reply that I have dozens of places........that I like to set up my place in Baja:bounce:

TT
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2017 at 02:39 PM

Not gonna argue against the benefits of being able to pull over wherever, whenever and set up camp.:cool:
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 12:58 PM

Man there is so many pro and cons !
Ideally I would like to find an older low mileage truck for not too much.
Dependability is real important to me. Also I rallying don't want to be drving something SO nice and shiney in Baja...

Two years ago I actually purchased a beat up bad paint Hyndai Santa Fe 4x4 SUV with 247 K miles on it just for Baja . Ended up finding out it was going to need a new transfer case in the not distant future and as I only paid $1700 for the car I decided to sell it.
Also I found out that it is NOT a good idea to just simply walk away from a broken down vehicle and leave it in Baja. That is what I thought I would do If I broke down too bad and too far down South. I would start back packing it. I
I found this out by asking Mexico Mike. There is no fees of window sticker for cars in Baja BUT if you abandon a vehicle in Baja registered to you it could come back to haunt you later.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 02:08 PM

Interesting logic here...

So, do you want a dependable 4x4 truck or SUV?
Can you purchase or lease a new one ($30K-$50K for most)?
Will you be traveling in Baja for the rest of your life?

For me, the answer was yes to all three questions. The answer was also a Toyota Tacoma OFF ROAD TRD 4X4. I have leased three and #3 is now turned into a purchase. It is a 2010 Double Cab.
It was actually made at the Toyota factory in Baja California, so it likes it down there... like going home!

It has been back to Baja every month this year, traveling over 2,000 miles each time and much of that is off highway. I have yet to hear of a more dependable small truck than the Toyota Tacoma.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 02:53 PM

How many miles on your Toy DK

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
How many miles on your Toy DK

This one is nearing 98,000 miles. Not a lot for a 7-year-old truck.
My 2005 truck had 102,000 in 4 years when I traded it in.
My 2001 truck had 136,000 in under 5 years.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2017 at 05:19 PM

I do so love Baja and also know that it is a good possibility for taking the ferry across the Cortez and traveling the mainland.
And a trip to Canada & Alaska would be great. So a lot of camping in the USA is in the plan ( that are always held loosey goosey ) my ONLY plan I fallow 100% is to have FUN !
Thanks for ALL of your replys as they have given my much to consider.
By the way, Thialand is great too, in a vary different way.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.