Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Planta Purficadora
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 01:25 PM

People don't drink from a camper tank, this is what 5 gal bottles are for. One person needs one gallon of potable water, this includes meals and non-alcohol beverages. One 5 gal bottle will last ONE WEEK for one person.

That 40 gal tank is for bathroom and washing dishes and vegetables. Put an external sediment filter on the hose that you're filling it with, and fill at wherever camp you stop.

There are no "plants", every village has a few places with RO machine in the shack, to fill 5 gal bottles. They could (probably) run a hose into your tank if you insist, and it will cost you the same per gallon.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 02:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
People don't drink from a camper tank, this is what 5 gal bottles are for. One person needs one gallon of potable water, this includes meals and non-alcohol beverages. One 5 gal bottle will last ONE WEEK for one person.

That 40 gal tank is for bathroom and washing dishes and vegetables. Put an external sediment filter on the hose that you're filling it with, and fill at wherever camp you stop.

There are no "plants", every village has a few places with RO machine in the shack, to fill 5 gal bottles. They could (probably) run a hose into your tank if you insist, and it will cost you the same per gallon.

1 gal/person-day is for low activity. If working outside, hiking, biking, etc., especially in heat, plan for 2 or more gallons per person per day.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 02:35 PM

Forgot to meniton - the sign to look for is "Garafones", this how they call 5-gal bottles. Or - "Agua Purificada". Not "Planta Purificadora".

I'm getting 5-6 days per "garafon" per person in a hot weather and with "some" activity. Not biking for hours - in fact, not doing anything for hours :). You don't want to do anything when it's hot. Any water consumed during strenuous activity would instantly come out with sweat. Mineral water is more efficient in this situation, in summer I always keep one in fridge, this would account for low consumption of actual "water". Plus, fruits - everything counts.

When it cools down to 24C in daytime, one garafon lasts me 10 days.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 03:52 PM

We drink from our RV tank. We have no room for a garafone. It's been years since I have been unable to find a reverse osmosis place in Baja though I do carry some bleach just in case.

So far every such vendor has had some way to fill our 40 liter tank though we find that it is often if not always better to supply our own hose.

I am a bit more nervous about filling up in the states. We never go to RV parks so we look for gas station water or a tap on the side of an autoparts store. That sort of thing. So far so good.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 08:39 PM

I dunno which is more hilarious, my pronunciation or my spelling.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 11:29 AM

If you drink from the tank after having it filled it at questionable sources like gas stations etc, at the very least there should be a sediment filter in your rig, AND a carbon filter either permanent or a counter-top jug like Brita. Those Britas work so-so, but better than no filter.

I'm trying to keep potable and the "other" water separate. Had a mouse in my black tank once - don't know how he got in. And I know for sure that there is a lot of cra-p at the bottom of my fresh water tank, sitting there from the day one, slowly making its way into the filters - they don't clean tanks well at the factory.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 02:06 PM

I've a uniformly good experience with stateside sources of all sorts. No sediment or living stuff.

What I have had problems with is municipal water in small towns. I forgot this fall when I arrived and drank some tap water and had some relatively mild upset. As I've noted before here, the drinking water and sewage pipes share a trench. If the drinking water looses pressure for any reason, including power failure and there is a leak in both systems near each other then bacteria can and does get into the drinking water.

My little 40 liter RV tank is easy to remove and rinse out and I have yet to find any dirt. A wash with bleach followed by a rinse with good water takes care of any issue for a long time.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 02:30 PM

its well water...
all well water includes dirt

the dirt in the water is what makes you sick

or a contaminated tank

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 02:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
its well water...
all well water includes dirt

the dirt in the water is what makes you sick

or a contaminated tank

Actually, it usually the microbes in water that make you sick. Inorganic matter ("dirt") in water is in most case innocuous.
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 04:45 PM

If you're using a clear plastic site guage on the outside of your tenaco, put a bright read floating "marble" in the tube.
They sell em at heavy equipment parts dealers for just that reason.
Make life easier on your aging eyesight.

sold out and got out !!!
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 06:21 PM

Cool idea! Of course I'll have to wait until I get stateside before I'll have any hope of finding one.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.