Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Yellowtail Slaughter
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 04:11 PM
Yellowtail Slaughter

Last week in LABay I noticed a young local guide cleaning a table full of fish.
Wandered over and was appalled to note that he had more than 40 yellowtail, all in the 18" -22" range getting carved into filets.
He had just returned from a trip out with three gringos.
I asked him directly "why"???
Does he not recognize that his future is in guiding and with this kind a assault on undersize fish that his future is bleak.
He simply shrugged and said, "My clients had a fun day."
Sad!!

Curious,
what is the limit on yellowtail?
both in size and in number per day??
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 04:41 PM

Truly sad .
And shame on the three Gringos.

As for the guide ( as with most poorer cultures ) they live in the moment.

Little story, a couple of years ago I went fishing on a ponga type boat on a remote island ( Koh Koot ) in So. Eastern Thialand. The fishing was really poor.
I caught the biggest fish , a six inche spotted grouper, the guide wanted to keep it.
I tried to explain that THAT is exactly why fishing isn't any good . It fell on deaf ears. I let it go anyway as I just couldn't see a beautiful baby fish die .
I will never go fishing in Asia again.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 04:48 PM

Another little fishing story if I may ?

While in Veitnam on the Mekong river I saw guys " fishing" with two long polls.
except there was no line or reels. They were wearing a backpack with a 12v battery inside and the rods were electrified with the push of a button. They would walk along the river bank while shocking . The stunned fish would float to the surface. Most about 3 to 4"

Sorry I don't want to highjack the thread but at least I am talking fishing :cool:

[Edited on 3-12-2017 by Paco Facullo]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 04:49 PM

Generally, per person limits are 10 total fish per day, total of 5 for any one species. No size limits on yellowtail. 18-22 inch yellow tails is pretty common catch, so size not unreasonable, but perhaps the party exceeded their 5 per person per day limit for single species.

The world is reverting to a selfish, me-first, damn the environment mentality,... Same people that think fish supply is limitless also think Greenhouse gasses are good for the climate, or have given up caring. Things will only improve after an asteroid wipes most of us off the earth and we get back to a sustainable number of people.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 05:06 PM

Word is that there will be a permanent guvmint guy at the ramp this summer checking for licenses and quotas, etc.... ....

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Generally, per person limits are 10 total fish per day, total of 5 for any one species. No size limits on yellowtail. 18-22 inch yellow tails is pretty common catch, so size not unreasonable, but perhaps the party exceeded their 5 per person per day limit for single species.

The world is reverting to a selfish, me-first, damn the environment mentality,... Same people that think fish supply is limitless also think Greenhouse gasses are good for the climate, or have given up caring. Things will only improve after an asteroid wipes most of us off the earth and we get back to a sustainable number of people.

Based on available science, all those fish were not old/big enough to reproduce.

Of course, none of them are likely to observe that size limit, because it isnt the law. But it is something to think about when you are taking YT. You can make a PERSONAL choice to keep the fishery healthy.

[Edited on 3-13-2017 by Hook]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-12-2017 at 10:23 PM

It's called 'testicular enlargement'. Some things never change. :(

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 02:03 PM

It is too bad that you did not take pictures. The limit is 5 yellowtail or 5 fish of one species. They could actually have 5 apiece and 5 more of something else like cabrilla or Triggerfish.
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 02:54 PM

Yes, you are wrong again. Killing a 18"-22" YT is very unreasonable. I would be embarrassed.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Word is that there will be a permanent guvmint guy at the ramp this summer checking for licenses and quotas, etc.... ....

Good, I like that.
charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 03:47 PM

does the same rule apply to spear people? Here they do even more of a slaughter and don't feel the fishing rules as posted on their "License" apply, if they even purchase one.
Last year 12 wahoo for 2 guys...just seems excessive to us.
And is it true that the "pigs" they kill don't even taste good and are the fish that reproduce?...just what I have heard but no actual knowledge.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:06 PM

Where is "here"? Did you see this or is it hearsay? Spearing 12 Wahoo seems like BS to me...

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  
does the same rule apply to spear people? Here they do even more of a slaughter and don't feel the fishing rules as posted on their "License" apply, if they even purchase one.
And is it true that the "pigs" they kill don't even taste good and are the fish that reproduce?...just what I have heard but no actual knowledge.

12 Wahoo speared??? Um yeah.. Care to elaborate?
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:28 PM

[Edited on 3-13-2017 by freediverbrian]
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
Quote: Originally posted by charliemanson  

I'm a a responsible spearfisher ,have a license and follow all regulations. I am offended​ being compared to the few spearos you "heard about" Before pointing a finger at others look in the mirror and ask what can I do to make a difference.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:54 PM

Fishing is taking a beating in SOC. Look at the size of the Yellows winning the Mulege tournament a few weeks ago ..22 LBS? Wasnt that long ago a 30+ fish would barely make the list...AND in the best other fish category a 5 LB snapper won? Scary...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-13-2017 at 04:55 PM

The issue of taking an 'under-sized' yeller is moot point to me. I'm not gonna feed the world. With camping alone or with a friend, a smaller yeller was sufficient for sashimi/sushi or full-on dinner for the night... I didn't need a Beeg Juan to give me bragging rights. I look at it like deer hunting; antlers taste terrible. Look at your needs, not at your wants. Respect the fishery and damnit, CATCH AND RELEASE what you aren't going to keep or use.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

charliemanson
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 05:56 AM

The 12 Wahoos were all speared off Cerallvo Island, south end, and were all being cleaned at the landing by 2 guys and their guide. Wasn't hear say. That day we caught two which was plenty for our needs for quite a while. Catch and release is the way to go if you can (a little hard to do with a wahoo however) and don't think that can exist while spearing.

I was not meaning to offend anybody, but if the shoe fits??? I was not saying that all spear folks don't buy licenses only questioning if they need one or need to follow the same limit guidelines as pescadors. Hell most fisherman I know are too cheap to even buy a license ( all of about $40).

On a good note I know local guides that will cut off the catch after each diver gets 2 fish and they are very aware of the depletion of their "product" and are truly trying to preserve their resources. These happen to be the younger generation which is nice to see.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 06:04 AM

I figure that fisheries will be decimated in 20 o30 years (if not sooner), and conservation is pointless, and I might as well get in on the senseless killing as it will be someone else if not me.
Enjoy the slaughter and eating today, or someone else will, and it's bound to all end in a wasteland anyhow :light:
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 10:45 AM

I figure that fisheries will be decimated in 20 o30 years (if not sooner), and conservation is pointless, and I might as well get in on the senseless killing as it will be someone else if not me.
Enjoy the slaughter and eating today, or someone else will, and it's bound to all end in a wasteland anyhow :light:

A recent court case involving a poacher illegally killing an Elk in Oregon used that exact defense (if I hadn't killed it someone else would have). Didn't work out to well for him.
On a more positive conservation note, Oregon has made it a law this year that all boats bottom fishing must have a depth release device on board to lower the fish intended for release back down that have been brought up quickly from depth with over inflated bladders and allow them to deflate to normal. The old method some used in deflating the bladder with a needle was resulting in to many not surviving. As always enforcement is the key to making the laws work. I don't imagine this would have any interest in other than a few gringo fishermen in Baja however.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.