Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: BF-Goodrich AT K)2 - tread wear
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 04:49 PM
BF-Goodrich AT K)2 - tread wear

I have had the BFG AT's for on two different trucks for over 15 years. I do not off-road a lot, but when I have been offroad, they have been great. I do however drive the streets of Tijuana which is an offroad experience all at 60mph.

Last year I bough my first set of BFG KO2 - 298/75/r16's. They are a mean cool looking tread. They have been in the rear all this time and the tread has excessive wear. The pressure is always good and I do a bit of towing, not much.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? This will be my last set of BFG's if costco comes back with some BS stories about towing and heavy trucks.

saludos
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 05:10 PM

No issues on my KO2s, so far.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 05:13 PM

I was shocked at how fast the KO2's were wearing on my son's diesel chevy truck. they seemed half gone at 10K
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 05:34 PM

Following this. I'm due to replace my current BFG's sometime this year, but if they're not lasting as long these days I might research some other alternatives.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 07:37 PM

Have 30K on the KO2s on my RAM1500 4x4. half worn. I am happy.

This way better than the KOs that wore out in 30K on my Ford.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 08:31 PM
same questions

Two sets of KOs on my Tacoma - around 30,000 when I needed to replace them both.

Then, I went with Toyo AT 2 - load range E 265x75 -16" I'm now at 45,000 and there is maybe 5,000 more on them but I'm getting new tires in a week or two due to some 4x4 stuff we'll be doing very soon. I'm sticking with the Toyo which have been equally good off road as BFGs in my view. I do rotate and balance them regularly and have alignment checked each year. I did the same with the BFGs.

I buy my tires at Discount (is that America's Tire?) anyway I did ask about the expected mileage of KO2s and got non-answers, just goobledeegook double talk with the number 50,000 thrown around a time or two.

John M
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 05:00 AM

I was only getting 12,000 to 14,000 out of a set of BFG's. I think the guys that are getting more mileage out of their tires are driving in the U.S. My driving is 95% in Mexico. I switched to Michelin LTX AT2. I'm at about 8000 miles now and no sign of wear. They don't compare to BFG's off road, but they're good enough to get me through bad roads and storm damage when necessary.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 06:29 AM

There are sooo many variables...but,

I think generally you get what you pay for. BFG is a good tire manufacturer and the KO2's from what I have heard meet or exceed the expectations from the original KO's.

I had a set of KO2's on my 1991 4Runner last year. I only had it for about 6 months before selling it, but they were on par with the KO's I've had on previous trucks.

If you enjoyed your KO's, I would recommend you get the KO2's. Another worthy mention is the Toyo AT2's.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 09:07 AM

BooJum has it, too many variables. I got only 30,000 +/- miles from my last set of Toyo AT2 and was disappointed so I switched to the new BFG KO2 but it'll be a couple more years before I can comment on which lasts longer on the same truck.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 10:04 AM

Runnin my 2nd set of AT Ko's on a ram 2500 diesel at 30K it's always time for a new set I luv BFG great traction in snow even in 2WD I have always been a Loyal BFG guy and will prob still cough up the big $$ for a set of KO'2s at least once
BTW great topic

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 10:47 AM

In a trade off between performance or durability, I will take performance. The guys running the Indy 500 would love to finish a race on one set of tires, but probably would never be in the winner's circle!

Year round, I spend more time in snow, ice, mud and backroads than most of the readers of this forum. I need all the performance I can get, so I change my tires when they get to about 50% tread.

If your tires are worn pretty evenly, you can sell them and recover much of the cost of buying new ones on sale, but if you run them too long, they are worthless. New tread is cheap insurance to help keep you on the road and rolling!

Edit; If I had to do a lot of commuting, my preference would be toward longevity. Off road tires are not designed for that!

Edited again, Willardguy had a better word choice!

[Edited on 3-15-2017 by AKgringo]

[Edited on 3-16-2017 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
I was only getting 12,000 to 14,000 out of a set of BFG's. I think the guys that are getting more mileage out of their tires are driving in the U.S. My driving is 95% in Mexico. I switched to Michelin LTX AT2. I'm at about 8000 miles now and no sign of wear. They don't compare to BFG's off road, but they're good enough to get me through bad roads and storm damage when necessary.

BS. I live in Punta ABreojos, BCS.
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 05:07 PM

I would think since Michelin owns BFG the tires would be made of the same rubber compound???

So understand dont waste your time always searching for those wasted years
face up and make your stand and realize that your living in the golden years
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 06:25 PM

I'm tough on my tires - after torturing a set of KO's on my Jeep, I switched to KM²'s due to excessive tread chipping and marginal rock traction (Palomar Canyon). I just missed the KO² release, but with this same concern aired on the Jeep forums, I am glad that I opted for the Mud-terrain tires instead.

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 10:53 AM

I almost went with Mts on this stupid Jeep project due to past experience with MTs. Instead, thought I'd give the KO2s a go. We shall see. One thing I can say, the center mold mark is awesome for setting your toe correctly.

You gonna eat that?
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 02:01 PM

I live in Baja and have a set of KO2's on my F-350, they have about, 12k on them including 2 round trips from Pescadero to Portland. I haven't noticed any abnormal wear on them, they still have a lot of tread left. When I am home in Pescadero, I keep the pressure at 45psi for a smoother ride on the crappy dirt roads

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 01:29 PM

Personally I wouldnt expect a tread design like that to get very good mileage on a heavy vehicle like a full sized truck, on pavement.

There is a reason high mileage tires have much more tightly packed tread. These are a compromise.

BFG probably also knows the buyers of these tires want traction foremost and durability after that.

I own a set of KO2s on a Jeep. They seem like I will get at least 40k, and I run them almost entirely at 25psi, since I live off a rough dirt road. But that's a pretty light vehicle.
Tucsonduner

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 08:05 AM

I ran one set of BFG's on my F250 and after poor wear and having two of them throw all of their tread, I switched to Michelin LTX.

My truck is used almost exclusively for towing a 30 foot 5th wheel and ATV's. I went with the BFG's for their looks and for a perceived increase in off road performance.

After the second BFG tire failed while towing on the highway which tore out my right front fender, I returned to my dealer with the fully inflated carcass. They reported the failure to Michelin and a couple weeks later I received at check for $2800 to cover the damage.

The tires had less than 17000 miles on them and were ran fully inflated. I switched to the Michelin LTX and noticed a drastic improvement in handling with reduced road noise.

Off road they work just as well as the BFG's in places where you would normally take a heavily loaded truck. I bag the Michelins to 18PSI and I can travel on most beaches to get my trailer into position.

I have used BFG's on lighter 4X4's with no issues. My Jeeps loved them. I would not recommend them if you plan on a lot of heavy towing.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 03:52 PM

I found that my airbags were not holding and one side deflated immediately. Not sure if this is root cause. Just going to run them all until they are done. Starting to question my need for top of the line AT tires. It's always nice to have them when I use 4x4. A full set is $1000.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 06:55 PM

Great tires and cheap down here.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.