Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: BF-Goodrich AT K)2 - tread wear
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 07:27 PM

How much... 265/75-16 or similar?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
How much... 265/75-16 or similar?

Bought in 2016 265/75/16 under 170 usd a corner. I think it was 168 a tire:?:
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 12:24 PM

On my second set now, got 35Kish on first set, could have pushed them to 40+K. Lots of harsh off-road miles on them.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 08:40 AM

Not exactly the question the OP asked, but I can tell you this, for gravel roads in the U.S. (and 3/4 minus driveways, etc), these tires are horrible. The lugs have the perfect spacing for grabbing gravel and throwing it up. While driving the gravel road near our house, the inside of my Jeep sounds like the inside of Bonnie and Clyde's car in that final scene. Now for Baja, obviously not as big a deal as those are generally dirt roads and not gravel roads, but just thought I'd mention it in case your rig pulls double duty.

[Edited on 4-10-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 08:54 AM

What you describe is what a good off road tire should do, get rid of anything it picks up. Mud tires are especially made to do that. A KO2 is not for everyone. I have Pro-Comp Xtreme on my Tacoma. They are an excellent off road tire but make a lot of noise on the hwy. I also never got the balance right so I'm going to the BFG KO2 and see how they work for me.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 09:11 AM

I disagree. There's a difference between picking up gravel and self-clearing mud. Although it has a M/S rating, it's not a mud tire, just an AT. I have muds as well (different rig) and they don't pick up gravel (bigger block spacing between blocks). Anyway, be warned, or just ignore it, but if on a lot of gravel, the OP might want to check out something else.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 09:55 AM

Oh, you are the OP. Anyway, and again, not your question, but perhaps take a look at Duratracs. Also verify the correct load rating as they have different load ratings in some of the same sizes. Absolutely the best tire I have used. I believe only metric sizes (but I could be wrong), so not sure if that's an issue for you or not. Outstanding mud and snow performance and quiet on the road. Not serious gravel P-nchers either. Good cleaning performance and I got a ton of life out of my last pair on on an overweighted D-max dually with camper. Still looked great when I sold the pickup (second dumbest thing I ever did). Wish I would have sprung for them for this Jeep project.

You gonna eat that?
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
I have had the BFG AT's for on two different trucks for over 15 years. I do not off-road a lot, but when I have been offroad, they have been great. I do however drive the streets of Tijuana which is an offroad experience all at 60mph.

Last year I bough my first set of BFG KO2 - 298/75/r16's. They are a mean cool looking tread. They have been in the rear all this time and the tread has excessive wear. The pressure is always good and I do a bit of towing, not much.

Has anyone experienced the same issue? This will be my last

set of BFG's if costco comes back with some BS stories about towing and heavy trucks.
If you do a lot of towing you can increase your tire mileage by rotating every 5 thousand miles. Keeping the best tires on the rear.
saludos
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 08:13 AM

Will Have add this have had the old type Bfgs on my 96 4x4 Turbo Diesel 3 sets.They lasted super long time.After moving to Baja half the life tough roads take its toll.
NoBu22

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:18 PM

I currently own BF Goodrich AT. Been hearing good reviews on the Toyo tires Open Country AT. Planning to change the tires I'm using. Any other insights about the Toyo?
BajaGlenn
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 5-31-2017 at 07:44 PM

I got 40k with mine 3 trips to Baja included mostly overloaded most of the time--:coolup:
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 06:25 AM

Running Hankook MT LT265/70R17 - 10 ply - 52 psi - 2008 4Runner @ 5000 lbs. Tires are rotated every 10,000 Km. Keeps the wear even. 30, 000 KM on the tires. May get another 10k. Used in very sticky mud(GUMBO), high way towing two quads on trailer @2800 lbs and snow.
Road surfaces where I live much like the Baja from reports I've read and pictures.

Was running the tire @ 44 PSI but too much noise and tread on exterior showed wear. Quieter at 52 and even wear.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 07:28 AM

Hankooks rule..

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Hankooks rule..

I do like mine, but they are the P-rated, not LT-rated. I like them for how well they work in all the conditions I drive: Quiet on the highway; Great in sand for floatation; No problems in rocks; worked great the few times in snow and also great in mud. Never gotten stuck with Hankook tires.
The dislike is wear life, I have never gotten up to 40,000 miles with them (by choice, I don't like going to Baja on over-worn tires). I have gotten flats (nail and sharp rocks and somthing I ran over on Hwy. 1).

Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75-16:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 10:33 AM

Cheaper too

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 11:18 AM

I think Nissan uses the Dynapros on some of their 4x4s?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 11:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Cheaper too

Yes "p" rated tires are cheaper than "lt" rated tires. Not as strong either.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 12:11 PM

Not as strong by a long shot...I have the LT's on my work truck and tuthers on the play truck...About 75bucks per tire price difference...I sure miss OK Rubber Welders...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2017 at 04:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
Running Hankook MT LT265/70R17 - 10 ply - 52 psi - 2008 4Runner @ 5000 lbs. Tires are rotated every 10,000 Km. Keeps the wear even. 30, 000 KM on the tires. May get another 10k. Used in very sticky mud(GUMBO), high way towing two quads on trailer @2800 lbs and snow.
Road surfaces where I live much like the Baja from reports I've read and pictures.

Was running the tire @ 44 PSI but too much noise and tread on exterior showed wear. Quieter at 52 and even wear.

If the outside or exterior side of the tread is wearing the camber is off. Camber should be close to zero, a little positive is OK but very little (top of tire out), Negative camber will wear the inside tread and make the tires squeal on curves.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by Franco  

If the outside or exterior side of the tread is wearing the camber is off. Camber should be close to zero, a little positive is OK but very little (top of tire out), Negative camber will wear the inside tread and make the tires squeal on curves.

Failed to be specific about the tire wear. Running too low air pressure caused the wear on both outside areas of the tire. Thought process was that a 10 ply tire with a max rating of 80 psi would not require air pressure at 70% of maximum. When compared to a P rated tire with a max pressure of 42 and the air psi is set at 32, recommended by vehicle manufacturer, the approximate value of the psi is close to 80%.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.