Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: BF-Goodrich AT K)2 - tread wear
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 09:57 AM

Thanks, Franco...
Have you heard of the "Chalk Test" to determine optimum air pressure in tires?

My Hankook Dynapros are 44 psi max tires (that's 9 psi higher than the BFG max, that came on the Tacoma). So, I guessed how much more than the recommended 29/32 psi and first ran them at 38-37 psi. I was getting too much center wear... did the chalk test... dropped the pressure to 35-34 psi, and the wear is now even.
I did a post with photos of the chalk test (from 2012 on my first set of Hankooks) over on Tacoma World: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/chalk-test-dynapro-atm-a...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 10:01 AM

The normal tire pressure for any vehicle is what allows the tread to wear even. One way to find the correct tire pressure is to draw a chalk line across the tread of the tire then drive it on pavement for a while and see if there is an even amount of chalk rubbed off across the tread. Three chalk line on the tire would make it easier see. For vehicles that carry a heavy load in the rear you need to do this twice. Once when loaded and once when unloaded. The PSI can/will be different for different tire brands, especially those with stiffer sidewalls.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2017 at 10:03 AM

I see DK beat me to it.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 07:40 PM

Chalk test is news.
Thanks for the tips gents!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-4-2017 at 09:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Franco  
Chalk test is news.
Thanks for the tips gents!

Chalkology!
Chalk is the wonder mineral, so many things you can do with chalk!
Tastes like super dry turkey!

P.s. I just fill my tires per the spec on the door plate. When I put LT tires on my P spec car, I just get the air pres value from the tire load book that most every tire shop has.
Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 07:38 AM

OK Gents. You have provided a very doable test. Being a technocrat and believing in engineering principles following is technical info and my best estimate for tire pressure at the moment. Should have researched this earlier but the discussion created a true interest.

Original tires: 265/60R18 110T - Max Load - 2337lbs. @44 PSI

Current Tires: TIRE SIZE LT265/70R17

Light Truck Load Inflation Table for LT265/70R17

@ 35 PSI @ 40 PSI @ 45 PSI @ 50 PSI @ 55 PSI @ 60 PSI @ 65 PSI @ 70 PSI @ 75 PSI @ 80 PSI

1890 2075 2255 2470 2595 2760 2910 3005 3100 3195

Using the Light Truck Load Inflation table 2337 Lbs is between 45 and 50 PSI.

I will try 48 PSI until I purchase chalk for the Chalk Test.

Running on Mud, snow and pavement does not evaluate the wear as when only running on hard pack.

Franco
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2017 at 07:48 AM

Viewed a jeep forum and one individual calculated required air pressure in the following manner.

Max load of tire: 3195 X 4 = 12,780

Divided total into vehicle weight: In my case: 4500 / 12780 = .352
.352 X max psi 80 = 28 PSI

LT tires MUST be at a higher inflation than the standard rating being 32 PSI for the 4Runner.

Got to watch that free advice on forums.:bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-20-2017 at 10:55 PM

I ran my 35" BFG AT/KO's at 25# and about 12 psi off road. They were great on the street, but I chunked them badly after one Baja trip so I sold/replaceded for a set of KM²'s.

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 07:58 AM

Drawing from my past years in "Road Racing", you could take a temperature gun and stop after driving a while then take a temp of outside, middle, and inside. Ideally there would be even temps all across the treads. Higher middle temp indicates overinflated, and lower middle is under inflated. Any discrepancy from outside to inside would be an alignment issue. This will vary depending on driving a lot of curves or just straight driving. I have used KO's on a F-350 for years. Lots of Baja 1 driving, very little off road use. Usually get around 45K miles. I don't run the tread down bare though, probably about 10% tread when replace. Next set will be KO2's. I use 65psi rear, and 55 psi front on 285's.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

The dislike is wear life, I have never gotten up to 40,000 miles with them (by choice, I don't like going to Baja on over-worn tires).

David,

I am running BFG KM²s and I am currently at 39000 miles with probably another 16000 to go! I think that you would do better with a good mud-terrain tire such as this one. I run these tires at 22 p.s.i. on the street, highways, and sometimes as low as 11 p.s.i. on the street when I am going back and forth between off-road and onroad travel - before leaving town, of course. I only got around 35,000 miles with the Intercos I have run in the past. Our vehicles weigh about the same, so I think you need to kick those street tires to the curb.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-21-2017 at 12:27 PM

I had run mud terrain style tires on my previous Tacoma (Cooper Discoverer STT). They looked awesome and people admired them when they saw them where I stopped. They also lasted the longest and never got a puncture.

That being said, I will never get an aggressive, 3-ply sidewall, mud terrain style tire again. Here's why:
1) Noise. There's times I don't play AC/DC or Van Halen so loud and the highway noise was just too much.
2) Terrible in sand. I do most of my four wheeling in deep sand and these type tires quickly earn the name 'grave diggers'. They require more air removed than any other tire to achieve floation.
3) Too expensive. Over $200 per tire is hard for me on limited income, even if they give more mileage life. However, fuel mileage is lower with aggressive treads.

An all-terrain tire (not BFG however) serves my needs best as they are quieter, work well every place I go, and are far less than $200. That they float on sand with ease is the final gold star.

I have run these tires and they worked well:
Toyo Open Country AT
Cooper Discoverer ATR
Pep Boys Dakota AT (but they wore quickly)
Hankook Dynapro ATM. Ran these two different times, have them on now and I think they are my favorite, overall.

[Edited on 7-21-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2017 at 08:19 AM

Many years back the BFG all terrain tire with 3 polyester sidewall cords was deemed to be to hash for the average guy. The result was they kept the 3 cords and made the sidewall much more flexible. The soft/flexy design continues to this day. The sidewall for the new design is much more prone to sidewall damage than the older design.
The newer tires for off road have a much stiffer sidewall
I am running KM2s on the Jeep and AT on the truck and the tires are appropriate.
Tire wear for my rigs is excellent probably due to the tires being many sizes bigger than stock. They say size matters.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 07:47 PM

I went back the Costco today. The suspect tire has no tread after two years 20k. The froint tires are one year older and have 35K. The front tires are in better shape. Costco pro rated the tread of the best tire and gave 25% off another set.

I plan to be more diligent with my maintenance as tire costs are huge.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
I went back the Costco today. The suspect tire has no tread after two years 20k. The froint tires are one year older and have 35K. The front tires are in better shape. Costco pro rated the tread of the best tire and gave 25% off another set.

Sounds like you did not rotate, and perhaps did not balance when out of balance, eh?

Don’t blame the tire

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  

Sounds like you did not rotate, and perhaps did not balance when out of balance, eh?

Don’t blame the tire

Goat another opinion not asked for
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Don’t blame the tire

Goat;

yeah they were balanced and pressured correctly. I can only swap sides and not rotate front/back. Hence since they were on the rear, they should have no worn out so fast. The front tires which are older are in better shape.

As for blaming the tire, I am no stranger to this tire on this truck. I have owned this truck for 10 years and 200,000 miles. I have only used this type of tire 295/75r16's .

So if you happen to know any reason why this one tire out of many prematurely lost the middle of the tread, I'm all ears. If you are just trying to bust my chops, pues tu sabes.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-19-2017 at 10:01 PM

Any chance that the rear axle is no longer running true? If it has been bent or worn strangely, the tire may be subjected to sort of a scrubbing motion with every revolution.

That is just a thought, from one who has very little professional insight.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 05:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
Any chance that the rear axle is no longer running true? If it has been bent or worn strangely, the tire may be subjected to sort of a scrubbing motion with every revolution.

That is just a thought, from one who has very little professional insight.

That's a good question. Thanks for the feedback. I'm on a big push to dial her in for the next 250K, knock on wood, so I will add that to the list.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 08:16 AM

just hit 42,000 on my KO2's. Mostly Baja driving. Probably will get new ones about 50K.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 08:59 AM

On my 3 off road trucks that see 95% dirt. Toyota pre runner with 35s 18 psi. Mustang powered Bronco 33s 15psi. Heavy Dodge diesel with 315x 16 BFGs street towing 50 psi/ dirt 25 psi. True on reports new BFGs short life. Nissan diesel 32s street 35psi dirt 18psi. All dirt bikes 6psi front and back. ATV KFX 700 2 psi.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.