Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: BF-Goodrich AT K)2 - tread wear
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 09:20 AM

After seeig a couple of reports here that people were not getting good mileage (unlike me) from their KO2's I did a google search. seems most (there are a few that don't) people are getting between 40-50K. Correct alignment and tire pressure seem to be more important than type and weight of the vehicle. Here is one long term review... http://www.off-road.com/trucks-4x4/review/bfgoodrich-allterr...
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 11-20-2017 at 01:16 PM

I'll have the fresh set on today, plus going to get a tread gauge.
This is good info. y front tires are seeing the wear described in the article as well as the one tire of the K2 set.
My US mechanic is an off road junkie, so I'll talk to him ina few weeks.

I have pulled a few stuck vehicles and the AT's have never let me down. I hope this was a one time thing.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 06:08 AM

Been doing a bit of research and talked to some expert off road/ big truck guys.

Turns out that 50# front 70# rear tire pressure is screwed. The tire pressure needs to be set according to the axle weight and how the tire sets on the ground.

Since Costco bumped me up to 70#'s in the rear, the tire was most likely over inflated hence the premature wearing in the middle. I remember only running 50# front and back in the past.

I trip to Santo Tomas cost me a front tire. So it's time to get a new set up front and create a better spare.

I will make a trip to truck scale and start there.
billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 07:29 AM

Just got a new set of KO2's on my F-350. Have been using the the AT's for over 15 years now. Usually get over 40K on a set. I tend to replace them sooner than most. Aquachico I agree with you that we all tend to over inflate. I have been using 55#'s front and 70#'s rear for a long time. My rears tend to wear slightly too much in the middle. I think I should adjust to 60# rear, unless towing heavy, or loaded heavy. Leaving for Loreto soon, I am planning to take some heat readings on the tires on the trip down. See if I can put some sense to that analysis? Will report back on prognosis as I can......
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 12:53 PM

Picked up this chart online for BFG 285's. The 50/70 just doesn't make sense to me as the weight of the truck is mostly in the front.

35. 2,130 pounds per tire
40. 2,340
45. 2,540
50. 2,755
55. 2,925
60. 3,110
65. 3,305 (max for tire load index 122 or the old load range D)
80. 3,750 (max for tire load index 126 or the old load range E).aret

@Billlklaser; good luck on your trip down. My mechanic adjusted the air for a road test and went 60 the way around, because of the shell and ladder rack. What year is your f350?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 01:00 PM

TRA Load inflation tables provide best starting point for determining pressure when non-std tires on vehicle. Good Tire shops have book of tables.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 02:18 PM

The chalk test mentioned on page three of this thread will tell you what you need about PSI/load ratio. It works!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 04:57 PM

@mtgoat Thanks for the info.
@Ak - I watched a youtube on that today.

Amazing this is not known at Costco or Discount, but I understand they stick with the door numbers and don't open themselves up to any liabilities.

The road to Santo Tomas is a spike field, need more rubber for it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 06:07 PM

Every tire shop I bought tires from has over inflated my tires. Unless you had a load in the bed or a camper on the truck you should never have the same PSI in the rear as the front. Anytime the center wears more than the sides it's over inflated. You don't need a chart to air up a tire and it's not rocket science. Using chalk will get the results you need. Chalk it with the bed empty and with it full.

If you want high mileage on tires slow down, inflate correctly and make sure your alignment is correct. I'm especially picky about the camber.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 06:48 PM

When I have put LT tires on a suv or pu badged for P metric, I use the load tables to select pressure to run tires, and get fine results.
The tables are standard across all tire makes, and have some good engineering and testing behind them.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

billklaser
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2017 at 06:54 PM

Aquachico, My f-350 is a 99' crew cab, long bed, 4x4, with a short camper shell and rack. I think in my case I need slightly more in the rear. I have always re-adjusted the air pressure the tire shops use. I am close on mine, but should adjust slightly less in rear. By the way, just turned 330K mi. Just getting broken in.

[Edited on 12-7-2017 by billklaser]
aguachico
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2017 at 05:22 AM

@Billklaser; That 7.3 will ride forever. My 2004 6.0, @255k, replaced the block with an '06 - 3years ago. I keep my fingers crossed.

Found this chart online for my tire size. I will be visiting the scales next week. I will also hitup the scales with my boat so I'm 100% informed.

LT295/75R16Psi / Application

Single Tire Dual Tire
35 psi 2240 lbs 2040 lbs
40 psi 2460 lbs 2240 lbs
45 psi 2670 lbs 2430 lbs
50 psi 2910 lbs 2680 lbs
55 psi 3070 lbs 2795 lbs
60 psi 3265 lbs 2970 lbs
65 psi 3415 lbs 3085 lbs
70 psi 3635 lbs 3310 lbs
75 psi 3815 lbs 3470 lbs
80 psi 3970 lbs 3640 lbs
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.