BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Bancomer can go to hell!
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 05:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
I watched a guy curse their entire staff when banamex raised the minimum and decimated the accounts with fees.
And what was the end result of that outburst? Was he Mexican?

Yes he was Mexican. The employees, hidden behind their bullet proof glass, just put on their "me vale madre" face. This tactic is not uncommon. I have heard other poor people mention the same thing. Imagine the profit a bank can make with a little data mining.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 10:29 AM

I hear a lot of rhetoric about Mexicans that immigrate to the US and then do not seem to 'Assimilate" to becoming American. I am sure that never happens with Americans moving to Mexico and "Assimilating".
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 11:26 AM

You might be missing the point, Admiral....???

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 11:52 AM

This is true. Bancomer took 5000 pesos from my account over a 6 month period when unknown to me they changed the rules (they said I should have known) I no longer would put any money in that bank.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 12:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
I hear a lot of rhetoric about Mexicans that immigrate to the US and then do not seem to 'Assimilate" to becoming American. I am sure that never happens with Americans moving to Mexico and "Assimilating".

BINGO!
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 07:54 PM

Crying about losing $200 when not checking the account for a long stretch of period? Get out of here with that silliness.
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 08:42 PM

This kind of thing happened to us in Spain when we bought a house in 1995. We needed an account to make the deal and we left some money in it to keep it alive, but less than one year later it was gone due to fees and they wanted us to pay the residual. Good grief. Remember, BBVA and Santander are European banks and the others may well be, too.
Life is always interesting.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 11:21 AM

one should avoid financial activities the do not understand.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 04:42 PM

O.K. Here's the latest from those stinking crooks at Bancomer here in Mulege.

Two days ago I went to use the ATM and my card was refused by the machine. The entire event was witnessed by the bank employee who hangs out near the machine to help with issues. When I got home later I found that my account in the states had been charged for the amount. I went back to the bank and had them look at their online record and it showed that there had been no charge to my U.S. bank. I went back to the house and called my bank and they are having me submit a form requesting a refund.

Today my partner tried the machine and her card was refused. On checking her bank not only had she been charged but it had been taken from the savings account instead of the checking account as requested at the machine.

It's Saturday and Bancomer is closed. We will submit another form to our bank.

I will be driving to Santa Rosalia to use a machine at some other institution.

As far as I can tell Bancomer is guilty of theft.

[Edited on 3-18-2017 by Gulliver]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 05:00 PM

Yup, it gets pretty frustrating, I have had similar problems in Mulege, and getting the "Mexican Shrug" when you attempt to deal with the bank employees is not helpful...I honestly don't think they have a clue as to what to do when stuff like that happens...

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 05:12 PM

Mulege is so small that there is only the one bank. It's the better part of an hour to get to any alternative ATM machine. I'll ride my bike to keep the gas costs down but with a typical limit of 6-7000 pesos per withdrawal and sometimes a significant delay between allowed withdrawals this will start to significantly impact how much we spend here.

I don't know about other towns but the gringos here amount to a very significant part of the cash flow. Not just store purchases but hired labor and car repairs and all of that. Having bank troubles is just one more nail in the coffin after all the publicity about crime

Lack of competition. Same old, same old.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 05:15 PM

One of the many reasons I wont be coming back...

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 09:40 PM

Dang Russians!

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 09:56 PM

What I mean my refused is that I got as far as entering my pin and specifying the amount. Then it spit out my card and said that it had been refused by my bank.

Not only has the money been taken out of my account in the states, the amount taken is the amount I specified at the ATM.

I doubt that the local staff is at fault but I have little problem suspecting that there is a glitch that is making money for Bancomer and they are in no hurry to deal with it.

A: I'll start riding to Santa Rosalia to do business at another institution.
B: If I don't get my money back I will spend a fair amount of energy bad mouthing Bancomer by simply telling the truth. I did nothing wrong. They took my money.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 07:23 AM

Carry cash! Skip the hassle of ATM cards.

Back in the days travelers checks worked. Maybe time to bo back to the old ways, eh?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:07 AM

I would love to carry cash but I live in Mulege for six months at a time and I would have to tow an extra trailer for the wad of pesos that would mean. Not to mention cleaning out all of the cambios in Tecate in November.

It may come to that. Of course crossing borders with more than a couple of quarters in your pocket is now illegal these days.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Crying about losing $200 when not checking the account for a long stretch of period? Get out of here with that silliness.

This is about the only post here that makes any sense.

Well it's true most banks including banks in the US don't treat their customers with small amounts in their accounts very well, it's still the job of the customer to monitor your monthly statements at the very least, and if you have substantial money in your account you should monitor it more closely.

This appears to be a case of someone just parking the bare minimum in case they might need the bank account in the future, which is costly to the banks to service nearly dead account with a few dollars or pesos in the accounts.

Changes to bank accounts, and credit cards happen all the time, but the notice is usually in the bank statement in very small print, warning you of upcoming changes, while allows you to pull your money, and if you miss the notice, you should notice something when you are reviewing your monthly statement.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:53 AM
Crying? Read the bold! Just pasing it on.

Those “thieves” at Bancomer are at it again. I am telling my story so others can be aware of the unscrupulous business ethics.
In November of 2014 I opened a peso account in Loreto and received an ATM card. Orlando (a really nice guy who happened to speak English) told me that I had to carry a 4,000 peso balance to avoid any monthly service charges. I even wrote that information on the check book that I eventually received and verified it with him once again, 4,000 pesos. I opened it with 4,000 pesos and never let it get below that figure. I treated it sort of like a savings account if I ever needed it if my USA bank ATM card didn’t work.
Well, don’t you love it, I went to use the Bancomer ATM card today and it got swallowed up as soon as I inserted it in the machine.
Went to the bank, waited over an hour and was told that the account was closed for having no more funds. It turned out that the new rules are 12,000 pesos and they have been deducted the monthly fee until there was no more money. They would not budge and of course the person I opened it up with is no longer there. So, I lost my 4,000 pesos. It’s not going to ruin my life but it does tick me off and part of it is the principal of the thing.
The moral of the story, I guess I should have been checking my balance every now and then and not to deal with a bank that changes the rules mid-stream. It’s their rules so I just might have to just suck it up and pass this warning along.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 12:42 PM

While it is fun to bash Bancomer, (and most other large banks), they are usually highly regulated and must follow certain rules.

Here is a document that explicitly details all of Bancomer's fees and tariffs for all of their products:

Bancomer's Account Guidelines

The information for savings accounts are on pages 3 and 4.

In summary, there are eight different types of bank accounts. Some with checking and some without. Details vary.

Reqd deposit to open - Varies from $0 to $20,000 pesos.
Monthly minimums - Varies from $0 to $12,000 pesos.
Monthly penalties - Varies from $0 to 390 pesos.
Monthly fees - Varies from $0 to $270 pesos.

You need to select the account that best fits your situation and understand the requirements that go along with it.

I have had a Bancomer Libreton account for almost twenty years. Paid a few monthly penalties over the years but have had no really unexpected issues.

Bancomer's fees have always matched their published Account Guidelines. It is all there in writing on page 3 and 4 of the above referenced document.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 03:03 PM

It's not just Bancomer or Mexican banks.... one must keep up with the bovine feces in U.S. banking as well. You can't turn your back for a minute on the shysters. Used-to-was, unless buying a house you could take out a simple interest loan for X amount, and the principal and interest were constant. Now any loan is amortized, making it extremely difficult to pay off early as well as funding ALL the bank's major profits up front. Also savings was a few points below loan value so you could actually accrue money on your money; not much, but better than one-hundredth of one percent like today. This rings true for unregulated banking which damned near destroyed our economy under Dubya's watch, and that now is being de-regulated right under our collective noses.

I will not leave any money in my bank to pay for the CEO's luxury get-away condo in Cabo. I keep up on the 'rules' they set to keep free checking, online banking, and when my balance gets above a certain (very low) point I withdraw and put in a safety deposit box, so all they get from me is about $2 per month worth of fees, period.

Banks, like insurance companies are not built on benevolence. To take one for granted is folly. Organized Crime syndicates made a fortune on shylocking loans at exorbitant rates and charging a 'Vig' on late payments. Banks are no different to me; they just have to keep it at a lower key.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.