BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Online FMM: Date or Port of Entry Different?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 01:12 PM
Online FMM: Date or Port of Entry Different?

Hey all. Can't find an answer to this out on the interwebs, so maybe, just maybe, someone here knows the skinny. Going to buy our FMMs online this time. Traveling by vehicle and towing an old Jeep. That said, things happen. Although unlikely, it's possible we'll miss our entry date and, who knows, perhaps even our planned entry point (Mexicali I vs II, or TJ, you never know). Anyone have actual experience with either of these two scenerios? Hassles? Thanks.

You gonna eat that?
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 01:39 PM

I set my 180 FMM up online for Otay entry because of the south bound border issues last month. Totally forgot and went through at TJ to the office. No problemos :cool:
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 01:45 PM

That practice of prepaid tourist cards, whether from a travel club, paying $$ more per card, to the newer online fmm is
something that escapes me, although I've never been one
for the convenience factor. Which I assume is the appeal.
Never have encountered a line at a Mex Imm office at the
border, actually I can't remember anyone in front of me.
What a 8 min process maybe?

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 01:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  
I set my 180 FMM up online for Otay entry because of the south bound border issues last month. Totally forgot and went through at TJ to the office. No problemos :cool:

Thanks!

You gonna eat that?
bajarunner

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 03:33 PM

Anyone have an idea of when the Immigration offices open in Tecate to get this FMM Stamped? Bought it online but still need the Stamp.
stiladam
Nomad

Mood: Acoustic

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
That practice of prepaid tourist cards, whether from a travel club, paying $$ more per card, to the newer online fmm is

Are travel clubs or other sites really charging extra?

I believe I paid the same as one would in person on the INM website. I didn't plan on getting pesos until I went to Ensenada, so paying up front with a credit card and filling out the form online was just a convenience for me.

Also, last time through there was 3 busloads of passengers coming through so just needing the stamp alone saved us time for sure. When it's that busy, you better bring your own pen if you didn't do it online! :biggrin:

Either way it's easy so no complaints

[Edited on 3-15-2017 by stiladam]

gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by stiladam  

Are travel clubs or other sites really charging extra?

I believe I paid the same as one would in person on the INM website. I didn't plan on getting pesos until I went to Ensenada, so paying up front with a credit card and filling out the form online was just a convenience for me.

Also, last time through there was 3 busloads of passengers coming through so just needing the stamp alone saved us time for sure. When it's that busy, you better bring your own pen if you didn't do it online! :biggrin:

Either way it's easy so no complaints

I always do mine online; it doesn't cost more money to do it that way, I don't have to stand in line when I get to the port of entry (usually the TJ airport) or worry about whether the bank will be open, will their credit card machine be working, etc.

I haven't had to change the date or port of entry before getting it stamped but I don't know why you couldn't do so by hand if necessary; the application doesn't become a visa until it is stamped by immigration. That said, you never know what they'll tell you when you're standing in front of the officer. Once they asked me for my Banjercito receipt to show that I had paid online (fortunately I had it with me).
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 10:42 AM

2 of 3 in our group had to buy FMMS for minor problems with the online ones.
The agent can and did refuse to stamp them for missing middle names.
NEVER again will we buy online.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 10:48 AM

We're bringing a minor, not ours, along this trip. Yes, yes, yes, got the letter, notarized, etc. Buying FMMs online just seems like it might smooth the process. Plus, we're pulling a freaking land train this trip. Want to cut down on the double parking time. (well, I still have another long night ahead of me getting this damn Jeep up to Baja standards....long night).

You gonna eat that?
HeyMulegeScott
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 11:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DeMinimis  
Hey all. Can't find an answer to this out on the interwebs, so maybe, just maybe, someone here knows the skinny. Going to buy our FMMs online this time. Traveling by vehicle and towing an old Jeep. That said, things happen. Although unlikely, it's possible we'll miss our entry date and, who knows, perhaps even our planned entry point (Mexicali I vs II, or TJ, you never know). Anyone have actual experience with either of these two scenerios? Hassles? Thanks.

We came down to San Felipe though Mexicali east last Friday with two class A RVs and bought our FMM online originally for Algodones. No problem crossing in Mexicali. They even blocked off the right lane for us and let us go inside to get them stamped and leave the RVs in front.

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 11:54 AM

Thanks. Now that's what I'm talking about right there. We were long before, but with a Jeep in tow, it's just getting ridiculous. Sure hope DK is right about this being a quicker route south.

You gonna eat that?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 12:00 PM

What's a quicker route?
You're in a RV and towing!!!.
It's fine for me in a light truck. 23 unpaved miles means 3 slow hours for you.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 12:04 PM

Dave, have you forgotten our previous thread? Ram 5500 with a big truck camper and now towing a CJ7, got to make GN the first night

You gonna eat that?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 12:22 PM

Do you have two drivers? I know if I was in your camper with you, I would be begging to drive the jeep every chance I could, and on the dirt roads it would make a lot of sense!

Send it ahead of the camper as a scout!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 12:30 PM

The eldest is begging. That's the same eldest that lost a head gasket in my Stupidru this Summer, which in turn pressurized the system and blew out all the coolant. Thought it would okay to continue driving the five miles home with lights flashing and steam puking out from under the hood. Yea, that kid ain't getting near it.

You gonna eat that?
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 01:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

The agent can and did refuse to stamp them for missing middle names.
NEVER again will we buy online.

Picky, I assume they had passports, seems the passport # would
be sufficient, and superceed anything else, but as has been said many tiempos, es Mexico
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 01:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DeMinimis  
Dave, have you forgotten our previous thread? Ram 5500 with a big truck camper and now towing a CJ7, got to make GN the first night

Dave? Dave's not here.
Sorry, Cheech & Chong in my head!
2001: A Space Odyssey had a good Dave line, too!

As long as you know that a heavy rig will be driving slow on this road. It is a much nicer drive to central Baja than going through all the cities and towns and curves on Hwy. 1.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 03:06 PM

I presume you didn't try using INM online site. The price in pesos is the same as at the border, only you don't have to fill the form at the border and go to cashier's to pay - it's been already filled and paid online. At the border you take the pre-printed FMM straight to INM guy to stamp.

As to the OP question... Technically, you can't change the port of entry after FMM has been issued. Maybe they'll let it slip, maybe not.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

But, you still need to park and have pre-paid ones stamped (validated). I really don't think much time is saved by not simply filling in the paperwork there at the counter, where you get them. 5 minutes? All at the risk of the agent upset you paid someone else or used the wrong border or wrong day or the thing was missing a middle name (see Sweetwater's post, above).

You are worrying to much, I think. Chances of the agent pocketing your pay during normal business hours when cashier is open, are practically zero. In the middle of the night - maybe, don't know, don't feel like doing this.

Everything else is a matter of accuracy and following the rules. If you printed FMM for SY, you are taking chances going through Otay.
If your full name on ID includes a middle name, then it should be on FMM. Most people don't have middle names on their DL or passport.

There CAN be lines if you go through SY and a tourist bus has just unloaded few dozen people in front of you and when most of them don't know what they are doing.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2017 at 03:33 PM

I have no comment if the money is pocketed or actually gets to D.F., what I am implying is that at one time, they did not appreciate pre-paid tourist cards and made it rough for those who had bought them at a travel club before the trip. I know that is old history now, but just adds to the other possibilities of issues, all of which are negated if you get your card there like the other 95% of us.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.