BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: When not to retire to Baja?
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 03:09 PM

Part of the goal of retirement is to put the worries of life as a worker bee in the rear-view mirror. If you're only going to replace those worries with how you're going to make ends meet after the paychecks stop coming, then I have to agree that the time may not be right for you.

I'm 57 1/2 and am targeting 60 as a retirement age. Whether I make it that long - or go beyond that by another year or two - depends less upon whether or not I've stashed enough away than how long the New England IT job market is willing to keep me around for my experience and "tribal knowledge".

Another factor for me personally is "career fatigue", the angst I feel when the alarm goes off, beckoning all of the drones to the proverbial salt mine. When I combine that with a couple of recent health scares, I start thinking about how I can make retirement happen sooner rather than later.

At the end of the day, no one can make that decision except you. Enjoy the process! :cool:

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 07:32 PM

I'm right there with you on this. I don't want to retire only to find I need to keep working as a walmart greeter or something. It happens...

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Part of the goal of retirement is to put the worries of life as a worker bee in the rear-view mirror. If you're only going to replace those worries with how you're going to make ends meet after the paychecks stop coming, then I have to agree that the time may not be right for you.

I'm 57 1/2 and am targeting 60 as a retirement age. Whether I make it that long - or go beyond that by another year or two - depends less upon whether or not I've stashed enough away than how long the New England IT job market is willing to keep me around for my experience and "tribal knowledge".

Another factor for me personally is "career fatigue", the angst I feel when the alarm goes off, beckoning all of the drones to the proverbial salt mine. When I combine that with a couple of recent health scares, I start thinking about how I can make retirement happen sooner rather than later.

At the end of the day, no one can make that decision except you. Enjoy the process! :cool:

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 3-17-2017 at 08:27 PM

LOL, jajajajaja, that's funny, a walmart greeter, heck a bag boy / girl would make more than a greeter.........

I hear the whales song
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 06:55 PM

Heck , where's the dollar going to be in four years.?

Where's your health going to be ?
Where's your pension going to be ?
Where's the US economy going to be ?
Etc, etc, etc.

One thing FOR SURE is you will have lost four great years of retirement.

I retired four + years ago and it is the best thing I ever did !
Funny thing is that my expenses are less than I figured they would be.

Money can never replace time.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2017 at 06:59 PM

Although one major caveat is you need to have NO DEBT. ...

[Edited on 3-19-2017 by Paco Facullo]
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 01:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Heck , where's the dollar going to be in four years.?

Where's your health going to be ?
Where's your pension going to be ?
Where's the US economy going to be ?
Etc, etc, etc.

One thing FOR SURE is you will have lost four great years of retirement.

I retired four + years ago and it is the best thing I ever did !
Funny thing is that my expenses are less than I figured they would be.

Money can never replace time.

Last weekend a co-worker of mine lost his wife at age 38. When ever I hear news like that I seriously evaluate the money versus time trade-offs.

Leo
Senior Nomad

Mood: could be better

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 02:54 PM

I second Pauldavid... (too long name0 and Paco. Go for it.
There is a certain anxiety to it. But t5hat happens either way. Retired at 54 in 2001 and had some ups and downs. But things balance out, really.
Look for the retirement advice in
https://www.amazon.com/Living-Retiring-Mexico-need-before-eb...

The grass is always greener....
and so, there is always a better spot in Baja
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Leo  
I second Pauldavid... (too long name0 and Paco. Go for it.
There is a certain anxiety to it. But t5hat happens either way. Retired at 54 in 2001 and had some ups and downs. But things balance out, really.
Look for the retirement advice in
https://www.amazon.com/Living-Retiring-Mexico-need-before-eb...

I meant to buy this book from the Tecolote book store when I was in Todos Santos two months ago. I'll just have to get it from Amazon instead. :cool:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 03:25 PM

Choose a career doing something you enjoy so you dont waste your working life "waiting" for retirement.
Sounds like many think they are in virtual prison waiting for release to retirement before they can start enjoying life.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 03:46 PM

"quiet desperation"

Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 05:17 PM

The statistics for people liking there jobs are about 90% DO NOT . Hence the looking forward to " something better ".........

Just remember folks , less is more.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 07:30 PM

If they weren't paying me so much I would step foot in this building. And I do enjoy my work.
I was reading the paper and there was an obit from a co-worker I didn't know.
Same age, 58, same job code, aircraft inspector, about same service time, 30 years. Retired and died.
So I certainly understand that part.
4 years is sort of my max that I think I can stay.
But if I hit loto...:light:

[Edited on 3-21-2017 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 07:56 PM

I had a rod buster tell me the average lifespan of a retired iron worker AFTER he retired was about two years. I'm about 15 years from that decision. Cmon lotto!

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 12:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Choose a career doing something you enjoy so you dont waste your working life "waiting" for retirement.
Sounds like many think they are in virtual prison waiting for release to retirement before they can start enjoying life.

Yes, that's a nice idea. Not usually an option for most people. Instead, we settle for what pays the bills and keeps the kids with food in their mouths and a roof over their heads. And then we live for retirement.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 08:14 AM

I had the same 2.7kW system installed in Ensenada, plus a backup generator, an auto-transfer switch and a whole house surge suppressor installed for $4,700 USD.

I know that a septic tank is about $800.00 USD.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Are you saying you havent saved 20k yet? I just had 2.7kW system installed in SD for $8k. A toilet for an additional $12k would make momma happy, but C'MON, Mang, you can't tell me you need that much money for those items.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

For me it breaks down to the following, shape your own path or have somebody shape it for you.

Of course, all that is quite possible having been born in the USA or other privileged countries, you just have to decide where your comfort zone is.

It's definitely a first-world problem to have to decide whether or not to retire at a certain age. My maternal grandfather didn't have that option, dying at age 46. My father, on the other hand, retired at 59, but now that he is taking care of my ailing mother at 84, I'm betting he wished he retired even sooner.

For me it's not so much that I hate my job, but rather that it's not nearly as easy for me to do it as it was when I started out 34 years ago. High tech is a young man's world, and I'm no longer a young man. I am, on the other hand, still young enough to have my health and the ability to enjoy life. That, for me, is the tipping point - leaving before I'm no longer capable of experiencing joy and adventure.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 03:00 PM

When to retire?
My 2¢ ~ When you have completed your new home here.
I can get by with $1000 fairly easily for the basics. Home improvements really add up and so does the Amazon cart. Beer and wine are included in moderation. Oh, I'm including my addiction to cigarettes and that is equal to food costs now. :(
You will want a big garage for boat, quad, camper and truck :biggrin:
Good Luck!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
TedZark
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 01:37 PM

SoulPatch wrote: "And, of course, all the other people over the course of a lifetime telling me "you just can't go do what you want", "you have be responsible", "you're going to fail", the list goes on and I am certain we have all heard these things before."

I joined the Peace Corps and went to Africa in 1989 and have not yet returned to live in the USA. I had a roommate at the time ('89) who told me it was the stupidest thing ever. But really it was the best decision of my life, with the last 27 years in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Mexico. It was a great ride. Not a lot of money, but I have truly seen the world and much better than tourists, have lived around the world and experienced many cultures at work and in the neighborhood. Not a traditional life and no, it's not for everyone, but it quite suited me. And my patient, curious and loving wife.

You CAN do it if you want to. The decision to do it is the hard part. So many excuses. So many reasons not to do it. All valid. All real.

[Edited on 3-26-2017 by TedZark]
BajaTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 10:57 AM

Just a little story about another point of view to ponder also.
A 50 yr employee I worked with at a refinery in Oklahoma said to me sternly after asking him about retirement.
"I have read the Bible many times over, nowhere in there is the word retire mentioned anywhere"

Es Todo Bueno
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 12:16 PM

What, you don't consider being crucified, dying, coming back to life, and then accending to heaven retiring...

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.