Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Frightening Sight
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 05:37 AM

I doubt Mexico can stop the continuation of depleting the sardines completely. The video above is really informative and I'd be interested in seeing a follow up on that today.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 08:03 AM

Certainly sad to see ...

A very difficult problem on a vast scale .... and the population continues to grow on the planet ...

Consider my self lucky to have seen "stuff" as a kid ... back in the 50's in various locations in the states and Baja

More means more

http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/656021468176334381...
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 08:34 AM
sardines

the solution is obvious. "Soylent Green". Hey it's GREEN and sustainable. If thats what you"re into.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 09:08 AM

Yes, the solution is obvious; eat less meat. Our taste for massive servings of meat accompanied by tiny dabs of vegies is upside down. Turn it around and eat lots more vegies and much less meat, and both you and the planet will become much healthier. The next great extinction, already well under way, looks a lots less like a comet or meteor and a lot more like a hambuger.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Peru used to export fertilizer made from sardines back 50 years ago. They caught every last one and the resource collapsed. Can Mexico stop the madness before its too late?

I think it's wishful thinking. I've watched the quality/quantity of all fish slowly but steadily decline over the past 30 years in Baja.

Making America Great Again
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 10:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
the solution is obvious. "Soylent Green". Hey it's GREEN and sustainable. If thats what you"re into.

The year 2022 is now only FIVE YEARS away!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 03:37 PM

There will always be fish in the market place. Maybe not from the oceans but certainly from fish farms.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 03:40 PM

That's comforting....

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 04:37 PM

I don't want to eat them as much as I want to catch them. Have you ever seen what hides below the fish in a farm? AND they taste ..... well they don't taste. How or what do they feed fish on the farm with out fish in the oceans?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 04:54 PM

Hahahaha, remember.... next time you eat Tilapia, they are raised 'under' the striped bass in fish pens to clean out the bass poop..... that's what their purpose and 'feed' is. Also that's why they're less than $3 a pound. Ture-eaters. Now they're serving it in sushi bars under the guise of 'red snapper'. Eater beware.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 05:17 PM

http://thenaturalnumbers.org/sardines.html

I case you missed this video.

The pie chart therein clearly shows that the eating of fish whether farmed or wild caught is not the big problem, that problem is the feeding of high-quality protein (sardines in this case) to cows, pigs, and chickens to produce vastly less healthy kinds of protein. Think chopping down redwoods to make mulch for crabgrass.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 06:43 PM

They don't need sardines to feed cows, pigs and chickens. If it is being done it is because it is cheaper than other types of feed.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 07:23 PM

Where does this BS come from? Sardines in Cattle feed? Chicken chit? Yes mixed with silage...not much of that anymore..too spendy...

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 07:30 PM

Ahhh A world free of regulation and government control....don't you love what you get. Soon we will have all fishing regulations removed along our coastlines as well. I can see the seiners and tuna pens already. Maybe a whale boat or 2.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Ahhh A world free of regulation and government control....don't you love what you get. Soon we will have all fishing regulations removed along our coastlines as well. I can see the seiners and tuna pens already. Maybe a whale boat or 2.

Regulations are strangling the commercial fisherman!
When will trump let the commercial fishermen free to make money?
Cut all regulations and regulators and send the all the extra money to the army, freee market anarchy with well-funded military is the only path to prosperity for all!
Cancamo
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:04 AM

The sardines have all but disappeared here on the East Cape. Not that long ago you could fish live bait by simply picking up a live sardine that was chased up on the beach.
It started about three years ago, fewer and fewer schools of sardines up and down the beach. Then the ever present multitudes of pelicans started starving, then disappeared altogether. The inshore cabrilla, toros, and sierra are all but gone. Last year we tried to save some starving sea lion pups, (they are raised on sardines, don't have the speed or range at that age for other species), all in vain as they perished in the surf.
Four of five years ago Pesca, (Government fishery authority), gave permits to inshore cast netters that hammered the sardines on this coast, final destination for the catch rumored to be the tuna pens in La Paz. With the huge seiners harvesting this resource off shore for animal feed, the sardines, the basis of the food chain around here, don't stand a chance.
We used to use mackerel here for live bait, they are no longer here. I stopped packing my cast net in the panga, (yes I'm a bait fisherman and never caught more than 50 pieces, my live well wouldn't support any more).
It looks like the sardine fishery in the SOC will go the way of Peru, and Cannery Row, Monterrey, California. Every last one will be gone, along with it all the species they support.
We humans are pigs, most animals don't chit in their own bed, we do.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:21 AM

You should be around Bahia Asuncion when the sardine boats come in to drop off their loads.
But the fishermen are doing it legally, because they are all going to the co-op.

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
I doubt Mexico can stop the continuation of depleting the sardines completely. The video above is really informative and I'd be interested in seeing a follow up on that today.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
You should be around Bahia Asuncion when the sardine boats come in to drop off their loads.
But the fishermen are doing it legally, because they are all going to the co-op.

Legal or not, the supply is still being depleted.

Making America Great Again
ursidae69
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 12:50 PM

I like when issues like this get presented in an efficient way. Nice video.

Quote: Originally posted by tehag  
Anyone who actually cares about this subject might want to take 3 and half minutes to watch this video. It is disturbing.

I am a bird-watching guide in BCS and have noticed changes in some marine bird populations already. I haven't seen an Elegant Tern in 2 years, where I used to see them every day in season. The ratio of adult to juvenile Brown Pelicans appears to be trending upward. Where I used to see around 2 to 1 adults over juveniles, today it seems closer to 7 to 1. If you want to drive a species to extinction, a good strategy is to cut off their supply of food for themselves and/or their offspring.

http://thenaturalnumbers.org/sardines.html

[Edited on 3-19-2017 by tehag]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.