Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tires, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 08:26 AM
Tires, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W

I asked about these tires on another thread, but thought I better start a new one. I have never heard of these tires until the Tire Buyer ad popped up on this forum. Anybody here running them?

I intend to run them on a very light weight vehicle that will be used in Sierra snow and Baja dessert with a long drive in between!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 08:34 AM

Still liking my Hankook Dynapro ATM tires for inexpensive, all terriain, quiet ride, great in sand, surprisingly good in snow (the one time I drove them in snow) truck tires.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 09:21 AM

long discussion on the 4runner site.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/208205-new-falken...
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 09:56 AM
TIRE'S

I am shopping for new tires for my Wrangler. It currently has Goodyear wranglers on it size 30/9.5/15 I like the look and more importantly the ride.The price is a bit much.
I an thinking of going to a 235/75/r 15 its a inch smaller which is OK I am leaning toward a Cooper A T R . I have ran Coopers for years and really prefer them. I just put a new set on my fwd Suburban. most of my driving is highway but I like to have the ability to check out those roads that disappear over the Horizon if choose.
ANY THOUGHT'S.

[Edited on 3-20-2017 by J.P.]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:12 AM

two friends both with lifted E150's swear by them.....that said mostly dry so cal driving with very little offroad, I think price was a big factor.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:24 AM

David, Del, and J.P, thanks for the feedback! I have Hankook tires on my Kia in Alaska, and I like their performance on ice, and durability, but I am looking for something slightly more aggressive (but less than mud terrain)

I am currently running Goodyear Wrangler Armortracs (second set) and like them, but I have put cactus spines through sidewalls on my last two trips! They have about 60% tread right now, so I am shopping for new shoes before I have to buy them!

It looks like I need to go put hands and eyes on them before I buy online!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:41 AM

I have run Cooper ATR and Toyo Open Country AT and liked them equally. The Hankook ATM has the more aggressive tread but remains quiet, which is key when 90% is paved roads between trips. What about General Grabber ATs? They look like BFG ATs but lower cost and no sidewall fails, hopefully.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
David, Del, and J.P, thanks for the feedback! I have Hankook tires on my Kia in Alaska, and I like their performance on ice, and durability, but I am looking for something slightly more aggressive (but less than mud terrain)

I am currently running Goodyear Wrangler Armortracs (second set) and like them, but I have put cactus spines through sidewalls on my last two trips! They have about 60% tread right now, so I am shopping for new shoes before I have to buy them!

It looks like I need to go put hands and eyes on them before I buy online!

I am of the old school, I have to see them and touch them, on the other hand my lady buys every thing on line.:o:o
del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 10:55 AM

couple days left before the discount tire ebay promo ends, see if they got what you need.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 11:47 AM

Well so much for a hands on experience, the Falken website dealer locator dead ends in a blank page!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 01:10 PM

I bought a used Volvo for a beater that had almost new Falkens on it..Ran it through much of the winter snow and ice..liked them...Volvo died and went to boneyard...I hate to agree with DK on anything, but Ol Smokey is wearing his 3rd set of Hankook Dynapros, best rubber I have ever run....Baja to Alaska in all kinds of roads and weather..Watch the Walmart sales and pay about 100 bucks each...JAJA

LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 11:31 PM

Im on my 3rd set now. Only switched sets for different sizes. Best tires I have ever ran. Aired down in soft sand, ran over glass bottles, ran over cactuses, volcanic rocks, and some rock crawling in baja and CA with only one flat ever. I love them. They aren't super crazy crawling tires so they are good for street too. Just food for thought is falken is becoming more and more popular with the professional cars offroad.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 06:15 AM

Buy 'Merican!

Seriously, have you seen how polluted the Chinese tire factories are? I would be disgusted to buy a tire knowing it was made by slave-wage labor in a factory that fouls the environment.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 10:07 AM

???????????????????

del mar
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 10:33 AM

from T4R...take it for what you will.......

As an insider, I'll squash a few (weird) rumors.

Falken Tire, is a subsidiary of Sumitomo Rubber Industries, a Japanese company. Sumitomo/Falken makes all of it's tire in their own Factories, they do not buy private label from their competitors. Factories are laid out throughout Asia, with much of the US supply coming from Thailand. There is no correlation to any Cooper or Hankook tires (they suck anyways).

Dunlop is actually a brand of ours. Before SRI was established in the US, SRI decided to enter into partnerships with Goodyear, and gave away parts of the Dunlop brand. We are slowly getting those parts back as partnerships end, but Goodyear is resisting.

The Wildpeak AT3W is an all new design, and is not a "minor" change to the previous Wildpeak AT1 or AT2. Those lines have been discontinued and are slowly being sold out. The AT3W was released on February 1st of this year, however not all sizes have reached the US yet. The new tread design is one of the deepest tread depths on the market and the tires have a border line Mud tire look, while maintaining an excellent A/T on road feel and wear. Much of the technology in this tire is brand new and at the top of the industry, and data is showing that these tires are testing well above our competition, and even above the likes of the heralded KO2. All sizes carry a 55k mile tread warranty including the LT sizes, and all sizes carry the Severe Snow Rating.

Once you see these tires in person you will be impressed. I can go on, but I won't, because you already think I am biased. Just know that I have worked for other manufacturers, and right now, this is what I would put on my 4Runner regardless of my employer.

One last thing, Nitto is part of Toyo Tire. The corporation has the unique policy that they will not sell Toyo's to a Nitto dealer and vice versa.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 11:00 AM

Thank you del mar!
It is so interesting how manufacturers work together (or not) with OEM products that are made... The new Wildpeak sounds interesting. I look forward to seeing it.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 11:00 AM

Del Mar, thanks for your input! I think I am going to give them a try.

I run the same wheels and tires on my SUV and my utility trailer, so a set of eight with regular rotating of spares, trailer and tow vehicle tires, it should be the last tires I will ever have to buy!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 09:10 PM

Here is a Jeep photo. The tires are mild-looking, but probably quieter than the BFGoodrich KM2's I am running. Traction or unending noise..

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.