BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Another "Ultimate Baja Vehicle" thread with a twist.
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 04:37 PM
Another "Ultimate Baja Vehicle" thread with a twist.

I think it can be safely said that there will never be agreement on "The One"
ultimate Baja rig since everyone has different ideas of Baja travel. From the
tourist in an RV afraid to get his rig dirty on a dirt road to the surfer on a two
month adventure looking for uncrowded waves to the rock crawling jeeper trying to
get to the most remote spots possible. It`s all fun Baja adventure but the ultimate
rig for one type is going to have serious deficiencies for another.

I would like to hear about other people`s preferred Baja travel ideas and see pics
of their "perfect rig". I`ll start! My wife and I drive to southern Baja every
winter for 2-3 months taking our time getting there, camping in remote spots along
the way, looking for surf, natural beauty, rock art and adventure. We have a home
base in Baja but need enough storage on the trip down for toys, food, camping gear
etc. Once down we like to take multi day exploring and adventure trips.

My perfect rig is not very glamorous but completely functional: a 2010 4WD kingcab
Tundra towing a custom 6x10 Wells Cargo trailer. The Tundra is amazingly comfortable
on the highway and will conquer 99% of Baja roads provided you don`t mind scratches
(I am proud of my Baja pinstripes!). The Wells Cargo was custom made to have the
wheel wells inside the trailer (so it is no wider than the truck), electric brakes
and a nosecone front for extra storage. The trailer has torsion springs rather than
weak leaf springs and has a 2" lift for extra clearance. Inside there is multi level storage and everything is stored in
plastic boxes so it`s five minutes from parking the rig to full camp setup. Full
lighting and electric outlets and a queen size foam mattress round out the
amenities. Most of the time we cook outside but plenty of space inside if the
weather is less than ideal.

For short trips around southern Baja the trailer stays at home and a four person
tent (along with the big mattress!) and a custom shade shelter become our home.
Luckily my wife and travel partner of 30 years is very rugged and doesn`t need silly
things like plumbing.

Your turn.What`s your perfect rig?

Hwy 5 camp (2).JPG - 224kB DSCF2409.JPG - 137kB DSCN0753.JPG - 162kB DSCF0373.JPG - 149kB
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-20-2017 at 05:46 PM

The minimalist approach works best for me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 06:45 AM

Me too.

Coming down one of the steps in Dedeckera Canyon after Steele Pass in Death Valley.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 07:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

The minimalist approach works best for me.

But I don't get to spend 2-3 months in Baja either. I like your setup.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:27 AM

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:31 AM

My friend has this rig. A nice combo of comfort and exploring ability but I would be terrified to drive that down Mex 1.

dana.jpg - 170kB
philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 09:41 AM

I like your idea of the mounted shade shelter. Shade is so key to camping comfort in Baja. I have a standard EZ UP pop up shelter with some custom touches. More holes were drilled in the legs so it can be set up lower to decrease wind exposure, I made some shade cloth sides for it that give more shade and it`s anchored down by canvas bags that are filled with sand or rocks or whatever else is on site. Besides sun and wind protection it helps keep the dew factor low underneath it.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 10:01 AM

Great ideas for the EZ UP, Phil.

Udo

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 12:59 PM

Philo, that is a nice looking setup. Crank that rig around up wind and set up on the lee side and you are all set.

I was always a van guy. We started out with a '69 Westy that even went on the old Cabo to Puerto Vallarta ferry back in the day. After we got in a head-on accident with a drunk in Newport Beach I upgraded to Detroit Steel. Our Dodge van served us well and was followed by a Ford Club wagon with a 460 big block. That one really, really liked gasoline. Lots of it! But with the Dana limited slip rear end and BFG's it could power through the sand no problema.

We got into buying cheap small old travel trailers and re-doing them before that became popular. If anything bad happened to the trailer we knew we could unload contents into the van and leave the thing where it died. No big loss since we had very little money into it. Went through three iterations of the travel trailer plan. All worked great.

Now our perfect Baja Rig is our house. I'm looking out at tasty little peelers coming off the point right now. Might have another go-out this afternoon. No need to travel around anymore. I've got it all right here.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 01:45 PM

I too am camped out...but I always thought the idea of the camper roof doubling as a boat was a pretty cool idea, like this this but maybe a little newer.

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 01:50 PM

It would be a shame to scratch the bottom of the boat (at least it looks like it is used for what it was intended).

Udo

philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 01:57 PM

El Jefe, the rig IS all set up on the lee side. That`s one of the few beaches in western Baja that faces southeast. Offshore all afternoon baby!

I agree with you on the van setup. Overall maybe the most useful setup. If only automakers made a decent stock 4wd setup meant to go offroad like a 4wd truck I`d get it in a heartbeat. All the aftermarket setups are too expensive, too overkill and sometimes untrustworthy. Funny story- A friend had the 100+k Wigley van with huge bumper and 12,000 pound winch up front. He got good and stuck on the beach one day because he didn`t understand the concept of airing down but no probem, he`s got a winch! But since the van was originally a 2wd the original front bumper was attached to the frame with 2 bolts. The same two bolts were used to attach the new macho huge bumper and winch. Guess what happened when he tried to winch out? That bumper and winch ended up sitting on the beach.

So how come Asia and Europe get all sorts of cool stock 4wd setups and we get crap?
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 02:28 PM

We really like our Starcraft 10RT off road tent trailer. Small and compact when folded down (14' from front of the hitch to rear bumper and 8' wide) but tons of space and amenities when opened up. At only 1900 LBS dry (roughly 2200 LBS loaded) our Tacoma pulls it no problem and stopping is a breeze with the trailer brakes. Best part is, we can get somewhere, disconnect, and explore even further with just the truck.

IMG_0007.JPG - 94kB

[Edited on 3-24-2017 by WestyWanderer]

IMG_0022.JPG - 106kB
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
El Jefe, the rig IS all set up on the lee side. That`s one of the few beaches in western Baja that faces southeast. Offshore all afternoon baby!

I agree with you on the van setup. Overall maybe the most useful setup. If only automakers made a decent stock 4wd setup meant to go offroad like a 4wd truck I`d get it in a heartbeat. All the aftermarket setups are too expensive, too overkill and sometimes untrustworthy. Funny story- A friend had the 100+k Wigley van with huge bumper and 12,000 pound winch up front. He got good and stuck on the beach one day because he didn`t understand the concept of airing down but no probem, he`s got a winch! But since the van was originally a 2wd the original front bumper was attached to the frame with 2 bolts. The same two bolts were used to attach the new macho huge bumper and winch. Guess what happened when he tried to winch out? That bumper and winch ended up sitting on the beach.

So how come Asia and Europe get all sorts of cool stock 4wd setups and we get crap?

Yes! Why can't we buy a decent stock 4X van? Maybe they wouldn't use one in the heartland like they do pickups.

And I didn't mean to imply that you weren't set up on lee side. Just that with two solid rigs like that you have ample space to create a big protected area. I know that spot in pic #2. Nice indeed.

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 03:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
We really like our Starcraft 10RT off road tent trailer. Small and compact when folded down (14' from front of the hitch to rear bumper and 8' wide) but tons of space and amenities when opened up. At only 1900 LBS dry (roughly 2200 LBS loaded) our Tacoma pulls it no problem and stopping is a breeze with the trailer brakes. Best part is, we can get somewhere, disconnect, and explore even further with just the truck.

I like this too. Glad to see the itty bitty one isn't keeping you back. Travling with kids can be so rewarding and lots of work at the same time. Lots of love there. Good work.

philodog
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 08:09 AM

Westy, cool rig! I love the ability to be able to unhook and go explore that a trailer gives you. What do they do to them to make them tougher than a normal pop up? The weak spot on most travel trailer seems to be the springs. I`ve seen and experienced so many broken leaf springs, the last one an unfortunate traveller this year on Mex 5 only one mile after he turned off from Laguna Chapala. How does all that canvas hold up in the wind? Being a windsurfer many of my preferred camp spots are what 'normal' people refer to as wind blown hellholes.
WestyWanderer
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:43 AM

Philo,

The frame on this particular off-road pop up is a much stronger 5" frame with additional bracing over and above a normal pop-up. my trailer has a four leaf pack instead of the typical two on a normal pop-up (depending on the size). With regards to wind, I was blown away (pun intended) by how well it blocked the breeze. We haven't been in super windy conditions, maybe sustained 10-15 MPH, but when you were inside the trailer you wouldn't know it was windy out.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 12:03 PM

My first Baja trip (in 1965 to Gonzaga Bay) was with a rented tent trailer pulled by the Jeep Wagoneer. Stopping at Puertecitos, the local gringos there told my dad that this was the end of the road! LOL... He knew better...

I have a photo from my first time to Baja showing my dad's Jeep and that tent trailer, south of Puertecitos...

[Edited on 3-26-2017 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajagator

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 01:50 AM

One of those Jeepers trying to get to the most remote spots possible.

All Baja Pics 006.jpg - 241kB
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 02:40 PM

My Mexico rig.

[Edited on 3-31-2017 by chippy]
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.