BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Re-entry to the USA Without Passports?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 02:14 PM

Yup, after an accident on Blvd 2000, Rosarito police. Wanted proof of immigration status. Also at Federal Police checkpoint at jct of Hwy 5 and Hwy 3, north of San Felipe

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Do the police have any enforcement authority over immigration status?

Baja Bound has already dispelled the rumors that Mexican auto insurance is nullified by the lack of a tourist card. Not an excuse for not getting one, we are already clear that we are supposed to have one. Let's just base information on facts.

Has anyone here been asked to show their tourist card by anyone other than INM officers, as they once did near Guerrero Negro?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 03:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Regarding entry to Mx without an FMM. A sad story once one enters into the justice system. The result of one case I know of the simple appearance in court resulted in deportation and the court process was terminated. It was several years before the guy dared to return.
The question is what if you get in an accident and the cop asks for your papers? What he will want is see is your registration, Drivers licence, and FMM.
Your experience probably will be difdferent/

Your friend is probably pulling your leg, because the FMM requirement that requires all US and Canadian citizens to have an FMM anytime they are in Mexico wasn't required until September 2015.

And your post appears this incident with your friend happened many years ago, not recently according to your post.

What crime did your friend commit in Mexico that they stopped the court process, and instead deported him?

I also don't think Mexican cops also enforce immigration policy? I would be more concerned if I got into an accident in Mexico, that I had Mexican car insurance than I would a FMM filled out.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 04:39 PM

Joe,
Yes, deported a long time ago. Civil lawsuit. No crime.
Suspicious -- How to get rid of one party.

Also long time ago traffic accident all I needed was a driver license. Not my fault and the other US guy never got charged. A third party sued and got payment in a Mx court. My damages were covered by his US insurance.

Got stopped for speeding long time ago and had to provide license and registration - nothing else.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:54 AM

Baja Bound has already dispelled the rumors that Mexican auto insurance is nullified by the lack of a tourist card. Not an excuse for not getting one, we are already clear that we are supposed to have one. Let's just base information on facts.
I've always wondered about this - do you have a link to the page on Baja Bound site where it states not having FMM will not nullify Mexican auto insurance? I've searched but found nothing. Thx!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 10:08 AM

The only time we have ever been asked for FMM/tourist card was at the "bug stop" in GN over ten years ago - maybe 2003 or 2004?

[Edited on 4-19-2017 by BajaMama]
JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 11:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
I've always wondered about this - do you have a link to the page on Baja Bound site where it states not having FMM will not nullify Mexican auto insurance? I've searched but found nothing. Thx!

Why do you need a link?

Anybody believing thinking that not having an FMM in Mexico, will nullify your auto insurance if you get into an accident, is as silly as thinking if you die in Mexico, without an FMM, that it would also nullify your life insurance.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 12:02 PM

Do the police have any enforcement authority over immigration status?
Baja Bound has already dispelled the rumors that Mexican auto insurance is nullified by the lack of a tourist card

Well, I remember a fairly recent quote from Geoff Bajabound,
re: that subject. I put it to memory, the quote was 'it depends
on your Mex Ins Co', to whether not having an fmm, being in
Baja illegally would nulify a Mex Auto Ins policy. Although never
heard, read of that occurring. I realize it was just a question, while Baja cops would more than likely be out of their jurisdiction to conduct Immigration enforcement, not so sure one should
challenge them.
At the the very least, it would give extreme leverage mordida
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 02:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ElCazadorAZ  
Friends headed to Rocky point without passports passport cards, nor "enhanced" driver's licenses. Can you still re-enter the USA by auto from Mexico without a valid passport?
Spent an hour on Google and down the rabbit hole at the State Dept website without a definitive answer.
Thanks for your recent experience.

[Edited on 3-21-2017 by ElCazadorAZ]

The bigger problem is them going to RP. That place isn't that great and can't hold a candle to San Carlos. Tell them to go a couple hours further South.

https://youtu.be/GKTBVCIQ_z8
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 02:38 PM

In my 100's of trips to Mexico the only time I've been asked for a tourist card is when getting a permit for the truck or boat. For that they ask every time.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 03:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  

The only time we have ever been asked for FMM/tourist card was at the "bug stop" in GN over ten years ago - maybe 2003 or 2004?

[Edited on 4-19-2017 by BajaMama]

:light: looking back I wonder just how ligit those "IMN"agents in the trailer really were?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Anybody believing thinking that not having an FMM in Mexico, will nullify your auto insurance if you get into an accident, is as silly as thinking if you die in Mexico, without an FMM, that it would also nullify your life insurance.
My logic is simple - if you're an "illegal" can you legally engage in a legal contract?

Your statement also implies that the millions of illegal Mexicans in the US can legally obtain (US) auto insurance - is that true?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:38 PM

The insurance companies don't enforce immigration laws. Baja Bound did ask this concern to the company they sell policies for and the answer was that lack of a tourist card did NOT void the policy. Please contact your agency to validate. But, why would you even think of being an illegal on vacation? ;)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 02:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
My logic is simple - if you're an "illegal" can you legally engage in a legal contract?

Your statement also implies that the millions of illegal Mexicans in the US can legally obtain (US) auto insurance - is that true?

Unbob wrote: "if you're an "illegal" can you legally engage in a legal contract?"

JJJ answer: YES, undocumented Mexicans, are persons, and have Constitutional rights regardless of their papers in the US, and they can sign legal contracts. Undocumented Mexicans can buy a house, car, pay taxes, and a whole host of things without having legal immigration paperwork.

UnBob wrote: "Your statement also implies that the millions of illegal Mexicans in the US can legally obtain (US) auto insurance - is that true?"

JJJ wrote: Well Unbob, you're changing the scenario of the of the topic we are discussing, and that topic we are discussing is already having an auto insurance policy/contract, and if it's possible, for an insurance company to void a contract, and not pay up if you're involved in an accident in Mexico, but you didn't have a Mexican tourist card.

Now you want to know if undocumented Mexicans can even form a contract with a car insurance company, and get auto insurance?

Well, if you are in at least 12 states in the USA that allows undocumented Aliens to get driver's licenses, the answer to your question is YES.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 06:07 AM

Just get a passport!
If you also get the passport card, you can use the ready lanes, and enjoy the shorter border line.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 08:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Just get a passport!
If you also get the passport card, you can use the ready lanes, and enjoy the shorter border line.

Sure, getting a passport would make it a lot easier, but the fact is many many people can't get a passport for a variety of reason, for example, they can't afford it, they owe back child support, they have a felony drug conviction on their record, they didn't pay their government loans, and other things of that nature.

This thread has also morphed into a discussion about the FMM where according to the law, you're suppose to get a tourist card anytime you visit Mexico.

But now the thread is bordering on the ridiculous where some think all kinds of bad things will happen to you, for example, some think that if you bought Mexico car insurance, and got into a car accident, that the insurance company can void the contract.

Again, personally, I'm not going to waste my time getting a tourist card on a day trip to to a Mexican border city, and I'm not a alone. But everybody is free to do what they want.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 03:38 PM

The insurance companies don't enforce immigration laws. Baja Bound did ask this concern to the company they sell policies for and the answer was that lack of a tourist card did NOT void the policy. Please contact your agency to validate

Discover Baja, at least on their site, is a bit cautious re: the
POSSIBILTY of a Mex Auto being rendered INVALID without the driver
having an FMM: plus these adjusters that show up at an accident, sent by your Mex Ins Co, are independent workers,
they may represent a few Mex Ins Co's, which may have slightly
different requirements:
http://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 05:41 PM

The insurance companies don't enforce immigration laws. Baja Bound did ask this concern to the company they sell policies for and the answer was that lack of a tourist card did NOT void the policy. Please contact your agency to validate. But, why would you even think of being an illegal on vacation? ;)
Thx David! Normally I would not think of visiting Mexico as an "illegal". This question only arose due to my FMM nearing expiration and me wanting to stay longer in Baja (don't we all want to stay longer?:)) So I had wondered what would happen if I stayed for a few weeks after my FMM expired - and then if I were involved in an auto accident - would my Mexican auto insurance honor any claim I might submit. Otherwise, no, I would not be in Mexico illegally.

JoeJustJoe
Banned

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 06:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
The insurance companies don't enforce immigration laws. Baja Bound did ask this concern to the company they sell policies for and the answer was that lack of a tourist card did NOT void the policy. Please contact your agency to validate

Discover Baja, at least on their site, is a bit cautious re: the
POSSIBILTY of a Mex Auto being rendered INVALID without the driver
having an FMM: plus these adjusters that show up at an accident, sent by your Mex Ins Co, are independent workers,
they may represent a few Mex Ins Co's, which may have slightly
different requirements:
http://www.discoverbaja.com/fmm-faqs/

Discover Baja, is not only overly cautious, but they're nuts!

"Discover Baja" is not an American or Mexican insurance company, nor the the two old people that run it are not auto insurance agents.

[Edited on 4-21-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2017 at 07:31 PM

Thx David! Normally I would not think of visiting Mexico as an "illegal". This question only arose due to my FMM nearing expiration and me wanting to stay longer in Baja (don't we all want to stay longer?:)) So I had wondered what would happen if I stayed for a few weeks after my FMM expired - and then if I were involved in an auto accident - would my Mexican auto insurance honor any claim I might submit. Otherwise, no, I would not be in Mexico illegally.

I'm superstitious. The scenario you've described is an accident waiting to happen. While I believe David's statement about MX insurance and FMM's, finding out your MX insurance is invalid while at the scene of an accident is bad news.

Renew the FMM, don't let it expire. Stay legal.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 08:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I'm superstitious. The scenario you've described is an accident waiting to happen. While I believe David's statement about MX insurance and FMM's, finding out your MX insurance is invalid while at the scene of an accident is bad news.

Renew the FMM, don't let it expire. Stay legal.
Agreed. But since I hang-out on the East Cape - going all the way back to the border to obtain a new FMM is expensive and a huge PITA!

When I think about it - the requirement of going to the border to obtain the FMM seems a bit ridiculous - after all, I'm a foreigner in Mexico obviously spending $$$ and therefore contributing to the local economy - so why make it difficult for me to stay here and continue to spend $$$?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.