BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Re-entry to the USA Without Passports?
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 02:05 PM

Unbob, nobody is making anything difficult for you.

You have created this whole scenario in your head, and you didn't actually overstay your FMM, nor did you get into an auto accident in Mexico, and then had your Mexican auto insurance company void the contract, because your FMM expired.

I would think most American tourists, would be happy with a tourist card that allows them to stay in Mexico for 180 days, before moving up to a Resident Visa.

The only difficulty I could see you encountering is thinking just because you're American, or a foreign tourist with $$$, and that Mexico or rather Mexicans, hould bend over backwards to serve you.

If you overstay your FMM, that's up to you to take care of, not anybody else. But again, it's not a big deal, just find an office that's usually at the Airport, and pay a small fine depending the number of days you are over up to 180 days or six months.

Baja Bound is right, a lack of a tourist card does not void the auto policy.

[Edited on 4-21-2017 by JoeJustJoe]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2017 at 03:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by unbob  
Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I'm superstitious. The scenario you've described is an accident waiting to happen. While I believe David's statement about MX insurance and FMM's, finding out your MX insurance is invalid while at the scene of an accident is bad news.

Renew the FMM, don't let it expire. Stay legal.
Agreed. But since I hang-out on the East Cape - going all the way back to the border to obtain a new FMM is expensive and a huge PITA!

When I think about it - the requirement of going to the border to obtain the FMM seems a bit ridiculous - after all, I'm a foreigner in Mexico obviously spending $$$ and therefore contributing to the local economy - so why make it difficult for me to stay here and continue to spend $$$?

can't disagree with that! have you tried the La Paz ferry port for a FMM?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 07:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Never thought of that! But I see no reason why it would be available there - after all, it's no where near the border. But this being Mexico - who knows!:)

"I'm too young to be this old!"
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
I would think most American tourists, would be happy with a tourist card that allows them to stay in Mexico for 180 days, before moving up to a Resident Visa.

The only difficulty I could see you encountering is thinking just because you're American, or a foreign tourist with $$$, and that Mexico or rather Mexicans, should bend over backwards to serve you.

[Edited on 4-21-2017 by JoeJustJoe]
For the record - yes, I am very happy the FMM allows me to stay in Mexico for 180 days. And, no, I don't expect anyone to "bend over backwards" to "serve" me. I respect everyone I meet and hope for same in return. Period.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 08:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I'm superstitious. The scenario you've described is an accident waiting to happen. While I believe David's statement about MX insurance and FMM's, finding out your MX insurance is invalid while at the scene of an accident is bad news.

Renew the FMM, don't let it expire. Stay legal.
Agreed. But since I hang-out on the East Cape - going all the way back to the border to obtain a new FMM is expensive and a huge PITA!

When I think about it - the requirement of going to the border to obtain the FMM seems a bit ridiculous - after all, I'm a foreigner in Mexico obviously spending $$$ and therefore contributing to the local economy - so why make it difficult for me to stay here and continue to spend $$$?

Mexico has not made it "difficult" for you. On the contrary, they give you 180-day visas with little hassle.
If you are living in Mexico for more than 6 months, perhaps it is time to get a proper visa, eh?

Btw, you money is not magic fairy dust. You are a retiree, probably spending modestly, your few $$ spent at the Pemex and local market are not golden ticket to special treatment by Mexican govt.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 08:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Never thought of that! But I see no reason why it would be available there - after all, it's no where near the border. But this being Mexico - who knows!:)

some ADV riders were able to get em there :light:
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Mexico has not made it "difficult" for you. On the contrary, they give you 180-day visas with little hassle.
If you are living in Mexico for more than 6 months, perhaps it is time to get a proper visa, eh?
You're missing my point. If the Mexican govt. allows me to acquire a new FMM every 6 months - why force me to return to the border to get it? Seems a waste of time & $$$ - not to mention the inherent risk involved while traveling.

Btw, you money is not magic fairy dust. You are a retiree, probably spending modestly, your few $$ spent at the Pemex and local market are not golden ticket to special treatment by Mexican govt.
Correcto - I am a US retiree spending very modestly while in Mexico - I never implied I'm a fat-cat big spender! And I'm certainly not expecting "special treatment" by anyone for anything!

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 01:43 PM

You're missing my point. If the Mexican govt. allows me to acquire a new FMM every 6 months - why force me to return to the border to get it? Seems a waste of time & $$$ - not to mention the inherent risk involved while traveling.

Correcto - I am a US retiree spending very modestly while in Mexico - I never implied I'm a fat-cat big spender! And I'm certainly not expecting "special treatment" by anyone for anything!

Unbob, the Mexican Government, does not allow you to stay in Mexico, and renew your FMM every 6 months. Six(6) months is the maximum that you could stay in Mexico using the FMM tourist card, however, if you overstay your visit, you only have to pay a small fine per day that you are overstayed your 180 FMM maximum limit.

Mexico is bending over backwards for you UnBob to not ruin your trip, or stay a few extra days, and 6 months is more than enough time to visit Mexico as a tourist, if you want to still be considered a tourist.

What you are talking about Unbob, is gaming the system, and now you seem to be upset, you have to drive back to the border area, to game the system, and stay another 6 months, and maybe perhaps, game the system, over and over again, so that you don't have to apply for the proper resident visa, and meet it's income and other requirements.

If you want to renew the 180 tourist FMM, then you will have to leave the country of Mexico, and then come back in for another 180-day visitor permit, that's if you want to follow the law and do it legally.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 01:50 PM

Btw, you money is not magic fairy dust

Fairy dust, I like the term. But I don't see unbob's position as
unreasonable, nor should he be scolded, Mex Imm doesn't
put restrictions on fmm's, therefore he is within the regs.
Me too, the chance of running into a situation with an
auto accident, and being found not to have legal Imm status,
PROBABLY would not matter. To me, leaving the CHANCE
for some Mex Authority to view things otherwise, is not
something I would gamble on, not that it wouldn't turn
out well, just may result in some grief. Was a rental vehicle
a few yrs back, got stuck off roading in the Laguna Salada
no. of San Felipe, the occupants were turned over to
Mex Imm, whatever that entails

[Edited on 4-22-2017 by sancho]
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Unbob, the Mexican Government, does not allow you to stay in Mexico, and renew your FMM every 6 months. Six(6) months is the maximum that you could stay in Mexico using the FMM tourist card, however, if you overstay your visit, you only have to pay a small fine per day that you are overstayed your 180 FMM maximum limit.

Mexico is bending over backwards for you UnBob to not ruin your trip, or stay a few extra days, and 6 months is more than enough time to visit Mexico as a tourist, if you want to still be considered a tourist.

What you are talking about Unbob, is gaming the system, and now you seem to be upset, you have to drive back to the border area, to game the system, and stay another 6 months, and maybe perhaps, game the system, over and over again, so that you don't have to apply for the proper resident visa, and meet it's income and other requirements.

If you want to renew the 180 tourist FMM, then you will have to leave the country of Mexico, and then come back in for another 180-day visitor permit, that's if you want to follow the law and do it legally.
JJJ, thanks for telling me nothing I don't already know. First you tell me I'm "gaming the system" if I obtain a new FMM every 6 months - and then you tell me I "will have to leave the country of Mexico, and then come back in for another 180-day visitor permit, that's if you want to follow the law and do it legally." which is exactly what I would do if I want to stay beyond 180 days. I have no intention of doing otherwise. So, no problem!

However, with your kind permission I reserve the right to be unhappy about having to return to the border to obtain the FMM rather than obtaining it in La Paz or wherever.

This is all I'm saying regarding this topic. I'm done - have a nice day!:)

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 06:05 PM

Wait...

I "will have to leave the country of Mexico, and then come back in for another 180-day visitor permit, that's if you want to follow the law and do it legally." which is exactly what I would do if I want to stay beyond 180 days. I have no intention of doing otherwise. So, no problem!

However, with your kind permission I reserve the right to be unhappy about having to return to the border to obtain the FMM rather than obtaining it in La Paz or wherever.

So if you have no intention in overstaying the 180 days, why would you be unhappy about not being able to get a new FMM in La Paz or where ever... if you wouldn't need to anyway... because you have no intention of overstaying the 180 days?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.