Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baseball and cleanups
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:02 AM
baseball and cleanups

Last Sunday was an important day in La Bocana. Our local baseball team (MARINEROS) celebrated 40 years of existence at the season inaugural game against Bahia Asuncion's team.

Here is the symbol for the season etched out in the field:

The stadium was packed, almost all of us local gringoes were there:

and the original players were honored with commemorative t-shirts. Those that have passed had t-shrits given to the family - see the light blue shirts:

At half time - sexy team princesses revealed the plaque with the names of the original players. Might I just mention that they will be scholarship recipients for 2018 should anyone be interested in being a sponsor (I am speaking seriously LOL)

Between the two games, one gentleman proposed to his fiancée and got yes as an answer:

In the ceremony, 25 little kids held flags representing the 25 years that the team has won the championship! They have won the last 8 in a row....this town takes baseball verrrrrrrrrrrrrry seriously:

It was a great game and La Bocana won the 1st game, Asuncion the 2nd.

Come Monday morning, I had scheduled a cleanup with Brett, an Illinois woman who has spent the last 4 months in La Bocana enjoying her retirement. I got her and we did the outside of the kids' stadium first:

After an hour, I took her home and went to pick up bajanomad MOTOGED for a short tour of La Bocana after which he donated a baseball mitt for a deserving kid:

Afterwards, although I wanted a siesta, I knew that high wind was predicted for the afternoon and the stands were filthy. The mess created by the winds would blow trash right towards the ocean....so off I went to clean the stands:

A lot of beer was drunk!

Lots of trash was already blown to the end of the stadium and as you can see, it is right next to the opening beyond which is a road that leads to the boat launch area.....I left it spotless!

You can bet I slept like a baby last night LOL

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:18 AM

WTG you three!!! Awesome!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 03:33 PM

Great job Blanca. U2U me about those scholarships.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 04:30 PM

That's what people do. I don't see one trash can in any of the fotos. I probably wouldn't save mine either.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:47 PM

Very perceptive Dennis!

There was one trash can and it was out of sight. That is one thing I will be bringing up to the powers of baseball that be.

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 09:46 AM

Why don't the beer sales people pick up their own trash? Wonder what the rest of the town looks like.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 02:41 PM

Good point norte - they really should be held accountable for cleaning up the mess afterwards. Those selling are locals making money for the team. Really good point.

I get myself into enough trouble in town as it is, but I did post the before and after photos of the trash on facebook. Since every student and his or her parent is on my facebook, awareness has been raised.

Of course, you will notice that not one can was left over the next day - after the game, they were all collected. Money talks!

To be honest, the rest of our town is really clean now since everyone does their share with few exceptions. If you want to hear what happens to those exceptions, come visit me, ask and I shall share my stories. Be prepared for tears of laughter. Suffice it to say that not even I believe what I have done in the past.

:o

Come visit La Bocana

rdrrm8e
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 08:30 AM

You are a gem. Again......where would a person send some bucks to support the students....????;)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-23-2017 at 11:08 AM

Wells Fargo checking account 836 838 5186

Thanks !

Come visit La Bocana

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 09:29 PM

Thanks Blanca for this tour of southern baseball. And for you willingness to serve and educate!

I'm part of a group that has become a major sponsor of baseball in El Rosario and a travel team in San Quintin. You've given me a view of what we might be facing in El Rosario this year as we kick things off.

Any suggestions are welcome, as we seek to renew and energize baseball in this community.

Frank
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 01:39 PM

That's awesome Blanca!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 08:25 AM

Nashville Frank - it would be really wonderful to hear your stories as your history supporting the team unfolds.

Come visit La Bocana

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.