Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Dropping Air Pressure for dirt roads
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 03:59 PM
Dropping Air Pressure for dirt roads

So, I have read that it helps even on dirt roads to decrease air pressure somewhat. I'm taking my 2WD Ford Ranger to Mike's Sky Ranch in a few weeks. I have 235/75-15R tires currently at 35 psi all around. Should I drop to maybe 20-25 for the dirt road in? I've read it's easier on the ride and the suspension. I do have a high quality inflator/compressor to air back up before highway use on return.

Not a big offroader, but I do drive lots of dirt roads to trailheads in the Sierra (Chalk Bluff Road in the Tableland area too, washboard hell) in the summer . I was thinking it would be helpful there on long drives as well.

It's 20 miles to MSR, so I was hoping it would help? I don't want to beat up my truck if I can do something to help smooth the ride.

Any advice is appreciated. I have a good jack, rope, recovery straps, tire plugs, slime, jumper cables, siphon pump on board already. Also the compressor pump, and full tool kit as well as good mechanic skills.

John

[Edited on 3-21-2017 by John Harper]
yumawill
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 04:21 PM
Tires

New tires are perfect. Baja roads love to eat new rubber. Anyway I digress. The late Great General Patton discovered that a 30% reduction in tire air pressure greatly increased a vehicles ability to drive in deep sand. They were training at the Imperial Sand Dunes for the invasion of North Africa. I'm glad he did this homework for me. There's a company that sells tire deflators that will release air until a set pressure is reached and then no more. I have a set of four preset at 19psi. Nice tool. Good luck.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 04:26 PM

Anything Patton did is fine with me. I recall driving to the tip and also Abreojos back in August 1984 in my 1971 VW van and miraculously never had a flat tire. Only the saltwater lagoon and the crappy gas was a source of problems. Don't set your parking brake if you just crossed the lagoon at Abreojos and let it sit for 5 days. Very hard to move after that. And the bad gas made it very hard to start in the morning.

I did have all the balljoints done and the shocks (KYB GAJ) are relatively new. I take real good care of my truck, they don't make them anymore. I got 9000 miles on the tires, so not quite new.

John

[Edited on 3-21-2017 by John Harper]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 04:54 PM

Even just to twenty five psi will make a big difference.. It's about a one beer stop to air down:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 04:59 PM

YES!
35 psi is street pressure.
When you are not on a street anymore, for any period of time, drop the pressure.
1) Puncture resistance: You will have fewer flats if the rubber can give as it goes over sharp rocks.
2) Increased traction: You can climb easier if the rubber can conform to the terrain (grab).
3) Increased flotation: You won't so easily sink into sand with wider print.
4) Smoother ride: The tires do more shock absorbing if they are not rock hard.

On my recent three Baja Expeditions, my normally 34 psi tires were deflated to 22 psi off the pavement. I had no flats, no stucks, and my back doesn't hurt.

In deep sand, I run them about 18 psi. I did not deflate for the 23 miles of unpaved Hwy. 5, as I did on a previous trip, or my short trips two weeks ago out from El Rosario. All my other off pavement trips were much longer runs. I have 4WD and traction control systems. If you don't, then deflate, for sure! If you get stuck, then let out more air!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 05:02 PM

What tires do you have? I've punished my BFG All Terrains, and never aired them down.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 05:10 PM

On all my light off road trucks 18psi. Yo dont need air down on easy way to Mikes , but your truck will like it.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 05:28 PM

What kind of load are you carrying? My Kia only weighs about 3600 pounds loaded for Baja. I have 225/75/15 tires that are properly inflated at 26 psi on the highway. I will drop to about half that in the deep sand, and around 18 lbs on the long backroad drives.

With the truck loaded the way you intend to travel, do a chalk line test across the tread to see if it wears off evenly when you dive in a straight line.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 05:47 PM

For the occasional trip down a easy unpaved road, I never air down.
I only air down if the road is really bad and I need traction.
The problem with airing down is it takes time and energy to air up afterwards.
Entering makes sky ranch, I would not bother changing air. It's a fine road.

Some on here are full of hot air about air. They will change their air pressure 5 times per day. They just like messing around with their toys.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 05:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tomas Tierra  
Even just to twenty five psi will make a big difference.. It's about a one beer stop to air down:biggrin:

one beer per tire Tom......hey no problem with the 1st.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 06:05 PM

I usually go to about 20ish the first dirt I hit of the trip and air back up when I get gas on the day I leave where ever I am to hit the border. All the up and down is very bothersome and time consuming.
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 06:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
For the occasional trip down a easy unpaved road, I never air down.
I only air down if the road is really bad and I need traction.
The problem with airing down is it takes time and energy to air up afterwards.
Entering makes sky ranch, I would not bother changing air. It's a fine road.

Some on here are full of hot air about air. They will change their air pressure 5 times per day. They just like messing around with their toys.

I've never really aired down, but the concept does have merit. My friend is a grit smoker, so she can smoke and have a beer while I air down to maybe 25 and try it out. I have a compressor that airs back up fast (allegedly) so I've prepared for this at least.

Loaded light, probably over prepared, but that's what OCD does for you.

John

[Edited on 3-22-2017 by John Harper]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 07:14 PM

Don't forget to rotate the air in your tires yearly, or every other oil change.

DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

I buy the package at Jiffy Lube that includes air rotation and muffler bearings.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 3-21-2017 at 08:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DavidT  
Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

I buy the package at Jiffy Lube that includes air rotation and muffler bearings.

Top up your blinker fluid at the same time
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 05:49 AM

I fill my tires with helium, makes the truck just float over the road.:cool:

Thanks for all your sage advice, everyone!

John
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 09:17 AM

I've had to drop the tires to 10psi once to get out of the sand. We dropped a class 8 truck tires to 4psi because he broke an axle (one wheel drive now) and he almost finished the San Felipe 250 in 2003. Ended up getting stuck behind a buggy at the end of Matomi Wash near the Hwy.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
New tires are perfect. Baja roads love to eat new rubber. Anyway I digress. The late Great General Patton discovered that a 30% reduction in tire air pressure greatly increased a vehicles ability to drive in deep sand. They were training at the Imperial Sand Dunes for the invasion of North Africa. I'm glad he did this homework for me. There's a company that sells tire deflators that will release air until a set pressure is reached and then no more. I have a set of four preset at 19psi. Nice tool. Good luck.

General Patton and at least one other on this forum.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 10:19 AM

NEXT!...what motor oil works best in these tough conditions here in "the baja"???
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2017 at 10:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
NEXT!...what motor oil works best in these tough conditions here in "the baja"???

I see a lot of oil debates on my Harley Davidson forums. Ad infinitum. Oil of Olay is rated the best.

John
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.