Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Propane tank refills?
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 08:50 AM
Propane tank refills?

Recently I've started using a propane firepit on baja camping trips, and a 20lbs/5gal. Bbq tank is usually good for a few days. But I realized that i have no idea where to get those refilled in baja. Pemex station/ oxxo ? Availability? Cost? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 08:57 AM

Almost any pueblo in Mexico had a gas farm. It is always located a few miles outside of town. They can fill anything you've got. I think it cost about 6 bucks to fill one about a year ago but someone here will have the current number. They last forever.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:13 AM

BV, where are you planning on camping? If you have a specific area someone could probably tell you right where to go... Baja runs on propane.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:26 AM

Apologies for not listing the area, mainly northern baja ensenada to san felipe.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:35 AM

Several propane fill stations throughout Ensenada. I'm sure San Felipe has at least one. What area of Ensenada??

Quote: Originally posted by Bajavanadu  
Apologies for not listing the area, mainly northern baja ensenada to san felipe.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:41 AM

When you are driving into San Felipe from the north there is a large propane tank on the left side of the road a few mile out of town, kind of near the cohetes trailer I believe.
del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 09:45 AM

im seeing more and more pemex's with tank exchange, don't know the cost...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 10:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  

I'd be leary of tank exchange in Mexico. They'll fill everything regardless of safety devices that are required in the States. I would rather keep my own certified tank and have it refilled. I bought a couple of small half-sized tanks brand new just a few years back, and found out they were worthless back home. Dunno if the exchange tanks have all the right pieces-parts down in Baja.

86 - 45*

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 11:05 AM

Keep your own tank and re-fill it

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 11:10 AM

Ask at the market you shop at they may be able to fill tanks off the tank they use or for sure will know where the locals go.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 3-24-2017 at 12:43 PM

AND ANUDDAH TING...

Some places and smaller towns in Baja do gravity-feed recharges, but you don't get a full tank that way (non-pressurized fill), only about half full, maybe a scoche more... and you end up paying about twice as much for the propane as when you go to a Gas Pasa plant.

And I love the name of the propane co.'s..... 'Gas Pasa'. I resemble that remark. :biggrin:

86 - 45*

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 08:14 AM

Also if you are using a tank from north of the border you might want to bring your own adapter, I have found that not all fill stations are set up to fill the tanks with the large external male threads that we use in the US.

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 08:20 AM

Propane is currently at about 9 pesos per liter. It cost me $145 Pesos to fill my small propane tanks, I have 5 of them.
In Ensenada, they have propane fill trucks that roam neighborhoods in hopes of finding someone who needs propane in the home tank.
There is no difference in price if you fill the little tanks or fill the home tanks.

Quote: Originally posted by weebray  
Almost any pueblo in Mexico had a gas farm. It is always located a few miles outside of town. They can fill anything you've got. I think it cost about 6 bucks to fill one about a year ago but someone here will have the current number. They last forever.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 11:03 AM

global gas a week ago , truck delivery to fill a stationary tank in pescadero, 10.77 @liter
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 11:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajavanadu  

Propane is everywhere where people are living. Just ask in any town, you will rarely be more than a mile from a vendor.

Don't worry, be happy.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 08:38 PM
????????????

Something New ?

"..........Also if you are using a tank from north of the border you might want to bring your own adapter, I have found that not all fill stations are set up to fill the tanks with the large external male threads that we use in the US."

I have NEVER seen a valve with the external "ACME" threads that didn't also have the conventional internal threads.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:39 AM

You are right most if not all propane valves have the internal threads but the adapter you need has to have about a 1/4 or 3/8" long nose on it to depress and open the safety valve to allow the propane into the bottle. Without that little nose on the fill adapter you can't fill the tank. If you have a barbque set up look at the part that screws into the valve and you'll see what I am talking about. Also on the new tanks if you open the valve without a regulator screwed in no propane will come out, that's because of the safety valve that needs to be depressed by the little nose thingy.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 02:03 PM

Sorry to be dense on this, but I have a couple of questions:

Can I get my 20 or 30 pound portable tanks filled by the trucks that service the huge home propane tanks?

What kind of adapter do I need to fill the 20 or 30lb tanks....picture or link would be helpful.

Thanks!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 02:26 PM
Not to Nitpick, BUT ...................

Every P.O.L. fitting (early or late) among the multitudes that I have dealt with, extends far enough into the tank fitting to depress the spring-loaded valve. It's hard to imagine that whatever the dealer uses wouldn't reach since that would mean there wouldn't be a positive seal on an earlier tank.

Speaking of that spring-loaded valve, I simply screw an unattached P.O.L. fitting in when I wish to vent the tank for whatever reason like when it's new and filled with compressed air.

On the subject of adapters, many years ago when the propane outfits in San Felipe first started servicing tanks south, they (initially) would also fill the smaller (5, 7.5, 10, etc) on request, but didn't like it so the driver started saying that he hadn't brought an "adapter".

SO...................I went down to the local propane dealer and had a "Stinger" adapter built from parts. $40.00.

The next opportunity, when the S.F. driver said "no adapter", I said "no problema" and brought out mine.

That worked ONCE.

The next time (and after) he simply refused.

I still have that expensive (and useless) adapter.

As a result, on my permanent-mount tank, I fabricated and installed a Liquid-Fill valve so that I could fill my smaller tanks from the big one. Simple to make using pipe fittings and copper tubing to reach "near" the bottom of the tank. Of course, the Big tank has to be empty to do it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 04:00 PM

Thanks, Bill. Good info.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.