Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Punta Chivato
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 05:19 AM

willardguy, I've ordered some cameras and indoor alarms. Any recommendations on models and brands would be helpful to others and any other ideas where there are no security companies or police set up to respond to break-ins would be appreciated. Hopefully my cameras can be linked to the security guys phones. If so then maybe we can have others do the same and have better coverage in the area.
edit: Is there a way to link all cameras to one site that could be monitored by authorized folks?

[Edited on 3-27-2017 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 08:51 AM
alarms.

just a thought. We have our construction trailers alarmed with a small battery powered alarm that although won't record anything, gives off the loudest screeching ear rupturing sound you've ever heard. They are self contained and have a small solar charger. It is almost impossible to stop without the remote. I can't imagine anyone being able to maintain a coherent thought while these things are going off, except to get away from it. I don't think they are too expensive and are motion sensitive.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 08:58 AM

Thanks Mike would you take a look and send the brand and model?

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 04:44 PM

KacyJ, yes Chuck/aka Charlie lost his Chevy in the flood last year. God bless him, he is 81 and still traveling south twice a year. I try to come down for at least a week or two when he is in PC. The close by neighbors are so sweet, they keep an eye on him. I really appreciate the community in PC!
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-27-2017 at 08:13 PM

Will do Russ. I'll be back out at the site later this week and will get the info.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
MulegeAL
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 08:16 AM

Russ,
Thanks for the info!
Turns out my "when" was off about the van, my apologies.

As a motorbiker on the peninsula, I get to see a lot of turf, tracks and detail in a hurry compared to most 4 wheelers. Should I come upon something that seems out of character in your 'hood I'll let you know!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 08:35 AM

MulegeAL, Thanks. We had a stolen truck returned from that area sometime before your report. We now have a patrol out that way.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 10:27 AM

I haven't been out there in years....how many homes are there now, and how many full time residents?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-28-2017 at 10:41 AM

We are a large community now and would like to have more summer residence. Hopefully this year some others will consider spending more time here.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 10:28 AM

Any news regarding the break-ins? Have they found the people responsible?
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:04 AM

They do have two people in custody that they think are related to a couple of the break ins. The really amazing part is that while the big meeting with law enforcement was going on at the Community Center, a home was broken into and they think it happened at the same time the meeting was occurring. That is some kind of new definition of "brazen". The people who live there are working around the clock and people are keeping their Marine Band radios on all night and anything suspicious is immediately checked out. One resident followed a car all the way back to Palo Verde where they were able to make sure the driver was taken into custody. Another resident went into his house after arriving in Punta Chivato and found a person sleeping in his bed. When confronted, the person showed a US Passport even though he was a Serbian person and he grabbed a knife off of the kitchen counter and waved it a few times and then ran out the door into the desert.
The issue of cameras is certainly an intelligent one because after the Law in Mexico changed from a Napoleonic Law which meant you were guilty until proven innocent, to a more modern law like the US, where you are now innocent until proven guilty. So the police force is forced to provide more proof and a camera shot would be a big help for enforcement purposes.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 07:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Russ  
BajaMama, Charlie has neighbors that are keeping watch.
KaceyJ, Garage fire ... started by the new type batteries. Local workers discovered it and went into action. Lots of smoke damage but fire was contained to the battery area.
Cops actually pulled in my place last night and shined a light around.

No, Russ, the batteries had nothing to do with the fire, it has been traced to a problem in the charge controller. There are numerous sets of those batteries in Mexico, but the electrical fault seems to have come from the controller.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:34 PM

Here's a photo I took

The shinny blob are what's left of the batteries. The controller was most likely the cause but the batteries certainly burned.
edit: I think that is the controller hanging in the top right corner.
And enhanced photo added

There are about ten homes here now that have updated to the new batteries and all that I have spoken with are aware of the danger of fire due to overcharging.

[Edited on 4-13-2017 by Russ]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 02:58 PM

Jim I'd sure like to know who is giving you your info. I have slightly different versions and participated in one search and monitored and relayed info in all the neighborhood watch responses. There are no bad guys in jail at this time I'm aware of and the one that was taken, the guy with the knife, in was released the following day because of a paper work misunderstanding which was corrected by by the two that confronted him. There is now a warrant out on him. I don't know if he actually showed his passport but he did leave without it.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 06:38 AM

As for the batteries, these are used in the Ford Cars. They are thoroughly tested for overcharging and potential heat. Unless there is a short in the system and then all hell breaks loose. If you get a direct short then they will unload all of that stored energy very quickly. So there was no heat produced by the batteries, but they did unload the energy when the controller shorted out. Ford made several changes to the way these batteries stored and gave off power. So it is unfair to blame the batteries for this fire. When things started sparking it is right that since they are plastic, they will melt and burn, which is exactly what happened. If you take that much stored energy, short it out, then "sparks are gonna fly".

I was at Chivato for the last few days and went to the meeting with the police officers at the Community Center. There was a car pulled over in Palo Verde and an arrest was made. It was different than the initial arrest of the Serbian who was in Violeta and Guy's truck. He was in Don's house and picked up a knife from the kitchen counter when confronted. Because I helped Bob and Bev with their break in, I get information from the Ministerial and the commandante here in San Bruno.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 07:01 AM

Good info Jim. Our sources differ but the basic info is similar.
Cops at coffee this morning told me the pongeros netted some big yellow tail in the majon (estuary) yesterday.:o

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 07:09 AM

No, and thank you for your work on the radio. I listened to a couple of the interactions, and things get completely blown out of proportion when people are in an emotional state. Hopefully, all of the activity will slow things down a little bit. I would imagine that someone could make a small fortune installing video surveillance cameras right now.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.