Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Two questions concerning upcoming trip to Baja
BajaBuckeye
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 09:19 AM
Two questions concerning upcoming trip to Baja

Just curious if our Verizon cell phones will work in Baja or do we need to purchase a special package in order to have Verizon cell service while south of the border. The other question I have is when I contact Baja Bound to obtain Mexican car insurance will that cover the kayak trailer I'll be towing as well? Again, thanks in advance!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 09:32 AM

Baja Bound can respond best, but anytime you pull a trailer, that must be on your policy as it affects your car's coverage! Coverage for the trailer alone, not attached to the car, is a special policy, I believe.

There is NO cell coverage in central Baja from El Rosario or San Felipe south to the state border and then only along Highway One or in cities.

Your phone must have International or Mexico calling activated. Texting works on all cell phones, even without a Mexico plan added, at least for my Sprint phone. Contact Verizon to be sure!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 10:01 AM

Verizon has a $2 a day ad on that covers talk, text and data. It's a 24 hour thing so if you don't use your phone for a few days you don't pay.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 11:42 AM

Verizon just started working for me this past year down there without doing anything special. I have a larger plan (as I pay for 4 other people) and it is included. If your plan isn't as big or whatever, you pay $2 a day like said above. Your phone needs to be "global ready"... most newer smart phones are there, but I would call just in case.

In that pre-Google Earth and social media epoch, The Code was adhered to. It was based on a simple verity: if a locale had been transformational for you, and you had put the hard yards in to get there and to learn it, to know it, why in god�s name would you broadcast the news, thus ruining the future experience not only for yourself, but for future adventurers?
hondo

[*] posted on 3-25-2017 at 01:15 PM

I have the same thing and it doesn't work for me!:?:
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 07:57 AM

Even if you have things working for calling or texting, there is no real Data in central Baja. Wi-fi is the only way you're going to get the internet/email etc.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 08:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBuckeye  
Just curious if our Verizon cell phones will work in Baja or do we need to purchase a special package in order to have Verizon cell service while south of the border. The other question I have is when I contact Baja Bound to obtain Mexican car insurance will that cover the kayak trailer I'll be towing as well? Again, thanks in advance!

Historically, Verizon roaming in Mexico has been very poor. Don't know if that has changed. Att has usually been reliable for roaming in Mexico.
If you are on vacation, I would recommend not getting an intl roaming plan.
Most restaurants and hotels have wifi, and you can communicate using email, text or WhatsApp, etc.when on wifi, if you really need that umbilical cord.
It's a vacation, so turn off the phone and chillax - the best thing about vacation is cutting the lines of communication!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.