BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Getting an FMM? Do I need one?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 10:54 AM
Getting an FMM? Do I need one?

I'm not sure I need an FMM to go to Mike's Sky Ranch, I plan to be in Baja for 5 days. I don't need to get turned around after getting down HWY 3 on the way.

It looks like I can get one online from INM, but confused as to whether I have to have it stamped at the border. Some of the information seems conflicting.

If so, where do I get it stamped, it seems like there is no place to stop (unless Mexican secondary) that I've noticed. I looked on Google, and it listed the office at the border permanently closed?

I recall years ago getting a paper at Maneadero, on the the way to Abreojos, but that was way back in 1984.

Already got a fishing license and truck insurance, but I still have two weeks to get my FMM taken care of if necessary.

Thanks,

John

[Edited on 3-26-2017 by John Harper]
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 10:59 AM

Yes, you need an FMM as soon as you enter Mexico.

You can get your FMM on line, but still have to get it stamped and passport verified at the INM (Immigration) office at the border crossing, or purchase the FMM at the INM office

All border crossings have parking for INM or Customs business or ask the Aduana (Customs) officers where you can park

The Maneadero checkpoint has not been in operation for many years, get your FMM on line or at the border

If you are in Mexico for 5 days, the FMM is free
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:08 AM

Okay, that's good to know. It was just so chaotic going through with the big right and left turns and then everyone converging just past the Mexican secondary. No sense getting one online if I have to stop anyway, and get one for free.

So, is the office before or after the border (San Ysidro) entrance gates?

John

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Okay, that's good to know. It was just so chaotic going through with the big right and left turns and then everyone converging just past the Mexican secondary. No sense getting one online if I have to stop anyway, and get one for free.

John

its just before you cross stay as far as to the right as you can you will see the parking lot

[Edited on 3-26-2017 by yellowklr]

Derek
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yellowklr  

John

its just before you cross stay as far as to the right as you can you will see the parking lot

[Edited on 3-26-2017 by yellowklr]

Okay, I think I know where you mean, I try to stay to the right side anyway cause I can hit the toll road offramp easier.

Thank you.

John
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:47 AM

Get into the "To Declare" lane (far right), proceed straight ahead to the parking lot of Customs. Tell the inspector you will be getting your FMM.

Walk through the building, exit and make a left turn. The INM office will be on your left.

When exiting the parking lot and heading to the Aduana (Customs) gates/inspection area, stay to the right and after you pass the gates get as far right as you can.

Take the first ramp to the right and it will take you along the border fence and set you up for the toll road
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Get into the "To Declare" lane (far right), proceed straight ahead to the parking lot of Customs. Tell the inspector you will be getting your FMM.

Walk through the building, exit and make a left turn. The INM office will be on your left.

When exiting the parking lot and heading to the Aduana (Customs) gates/inspection area, stay to the right and after you pass the gates get as far right as you can.

Take the first ramp to the right and it will take you along the border fence and set you up for the toll road

Thank you, I'm familiar with the road, got some dental work done at Rancho Santini a couple months ago and stayed with at my roommate's place in Campo Lopez (K55). Just been a long time since I've been down there, used to spend weeks at a time there.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 12:10 PM

It will all work out (it always does in Baja)... Just relax and tackle each event as it presents itself. A smile and honesty goes a long way in Mexico.
In the past, the "Border Region" did not require a Tourist Card for up to 72 hours stay. This Border Region ended at Maneadero (10 mi south of Ensenada). That deal ended a year or two ago, so yes any trip into Baja for any time or any location requires the Tourist Card (FMM). However, with millions just going to Tijuana for the day, they can't possible stop each car to inform this or send you to the INM office. Otherwise, traffic would be backed up to Los Angeles!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 12:36 PM

Thank you, I'm familiar with the road, got some dental work done at Rancho Santini a couple months ago and stayed with at my roommate's place in Campo Lopez (K55). Just been a long time since I've been down there, used to spend weeks at a time there.

John

john with so many choices for dentists how did you choose marco at surf dentistry?
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

John

john with so many choices for dentists how did you choose marco at surf dentistry?

My roommate recommended him, plus I get to stay at K55 for the weekend. My dad was a dentist and I can tell Marco is very skilled, way better than the US dentist I tried in Cardiff. Had an inlay done and a small chip veneer. Only $600. He has the lab work done in the US and has a practice in Huntington Beach. Nice guy and very meticulous.

I have recommended him to several people up here in the Estados Dividos already.

John

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 02:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It will all work out (it always does in Baja)... Just relax and tackle each event as it presents itself. A smile and honesty goes a long way in Mexico.

So true.

John
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 03:37 PM

My dad was a dentist, too. Had an office in Rancho Santa Fe, when I was a kid in the 60s.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 04:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
My dad was a dentist, too. Had an office in Rancho Santa Fe, when I was a kid in the 60s.

I grew up in Fillmore, same era, not quite the clientele your dad likely had, bud good people one and all. An oil and farming area. Lots of Okies and Mexicans. We all got along just fine.

John

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 05:00 PM

If by some chance you don't get an FMM, in practice, you won't ever be asked to show it. Coming back in to the US they won't give a hoot either. Don't worry, be happy, drive on.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 05:26 PM

I have recommended him to several people up here in the Estados Dividos already.

\
Estados Dividos........ PRICELESS. :bounce: :lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

\

Thanks, it just popped into my head. It definitely works.

John
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2017 at 06:48 PM

\

John

thanks, just curious..everyone has a dentist that they swear up and down can't be beat, all my neighbors use surf dentistry and are very pleased, thanks!:yes:
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 03:58 PM

Okay, my roommate who lives at K55 says I cross the border, then turn to park after the secondary inspection area. I looked on a sat view, and it looks like you can park just before the gates, near the big flag. I found a website that suggested that method. I'm thinking you can do either?

Should be at the border around 6AM on Palm Sunday, so hopefully not many folks entering at that time so easily get in and out.

John
John Harper
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 04:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

\

John

thanks, just curious..everyone has a dentist that they swear up and down can't be beat, all my neighbors use surf dentistry and are very pleased, thanks!:yes:

Yes, mine was my dad, but unfortunately he's dead. All his colleagues went to him. Marco is damn good, I can tell.

[Edited on 3-29-2017 by John Harper]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-29-2017 at 04:02 PM

you pull into the first structure you come to, the big covered parking lot for declaration.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.