BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Snake Bite Vaccine for dogs??
hondo

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 08:14 AM

Jeez, another gem from the other culturally deprived flatlander. Woof Woof.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 08:45 AM

I think you may be referring to the post from Baja BUDDHA? If you got someone to help you with reading and understanding the language it might help? But then again you likely lack the basic intelligence to retain much.

del mar
Banned

Mood: lil' fuzzy

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John M  
The trainer uses a shock collar, and gave our dog (25 pounds full grown, 4 years old) what I'd think was a moderate jolt to gauge her reaction to the shock effect. He reduced the impact of the shock.

He had put two different rattlers in two different wire mesh boxes and place them under large juniper bushes maybe 30' apart. He walked the dog on a leash near one of the boxes, within probably 5 or 6 feet, the dog seemed inquisitive and as she got a little closer he must have "zapped" her as she immediately backed way off. At the time he applied the shock, one of the two snakes was rattling. He walked her around, and near other similar bushes (no snakes) and she sniffed all around but wasn't skittish at all. Then he walked her near the second box with two different snakes and she seemed cautious but got closer than I would have suspected she would. At that point he gave her another jolt, she got away from the area of the box quickly. I don't know if the second episode either of the snakes were rattling or not. He repeated walking her near bushes with no snakes and she didn't shy away from the bushes. I took her then, on a leash, toward the snake boxes, as soon as we got within 15 or so feet she pulled away quite hard. That was the reaction he was looking for. He cautioned us not to compel her to get any closer than what she would do on her own. Each time the same reaction, and the snakes were not rattling during this phase. I walked her maybe 5 or 6 times toward the boxes and she pulled away every time. Then he took the snakes out, one at a time, and put them on an open area, uncaged. He had us approach until the dog alerted and with all four different snakes she wouldn't get closer than maybe 20 feet.

Earlier, before any training, he had our dog sniff around the snake handling pole, with tongs on the end where he would lift the snakes. She seemed naturally to sniff the ends. Toward the end of the training he asked me to lead her toward the tongs - she got within ten feet and pulled away. No snake - just the scent remaining on the tongs.

We will take her back within the next few days (ten days after the lesson) for him to evaluate her and her reaction.

Some say this needs to be reinforced every couple of years.

The dog was what my wife called "back to normal" withing 15 minutes.

John M

so john....if your dog encountered one of these slithery fellows around the house would she bark to alert you of the danger like this goat fellows dog? can that be trained? I would think that would be a huge benefit! I admit im scared to death of those things.

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 10:40 AM
train to bark?

Our dog - Patron - rarely barks at all. She didn't make a sound during the training except at the initial application of the shock - then barely a little yelp.

I didn't ask about training her to be responsive by barking.

We've seen and heard snakes on the nearby trails we run on - I hope I'm perceptive enough to spot whatever reaction she shows. I'm not especially fond of rattlers either.

John
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 10:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by John M  
The trainer uses a shock collar, and gave our dog (25 pounds full grown, 4 years old) what I'd think was a moderate jolt to gauge her reaction to the shock effect. He reduced the impact of the shock.

He had put two different rattlers in two different wire mesh boxes and place them under large juniper bushes maybe 30' apart. He walked the dog on a leash near one of the boxes, within probably 5 or 6 feet, the dog seemed inquisitive and as she got a little closer he must have "zapped" her as she immediately backed way off. At the time he applied the shock, one of the two snakes was rattling. He walked her around, and near other similar bushes (no snakes) and she sniffed all around but wasn't skittish at all. Then he walked her near the second box with two different snakes and she seemed cautious but got closer than I would have suspected she would. At that point he gave her another jolt, she got away from the area of the box quickly. I don't know if the second episode either of the snakes were rattling or not. He repeated walking her near bushes with no snakes and she didn't shy away from the bushes. I took her then, on a leash, toward the snake boxes, as soon as we got within 15 or so feet she pulled away quite hard. That was the reaction he was looking for. He cautioned us not to compel her to get any closer than what she would do on her own. Each time the same reaction, and the snakes were not rattling during this phase. I walked her maybe 5 or 6 times toward the boxes and she pulled away every time. Then he took the snakes out, one at a time, and put them on an open area, uncaged. He had us approach until the dog alerted and with all four different snakes she wouldn't get closer than maybe 20 feet.

Earlier, before any training, he had our dog sniff around the snake handling pole, with tongs on the end where he would lift the snakes. She seemed naturally to sniff the ends. Toward the end of the training he asked me to lead her toward the tongs - she got within ten feet and pulled away. No snake - just the scent remaining on the tongs.

We will take her back within the next few days (ten days after the lesson) for him to evaluate her and her reaction.

Some say this needs to be reinforced every couple of years.

The dog was what my wife called "back to normal" withing 15 minutes.

John M

so john....if your dog encountered one of these slithery fellows around the house would she bark to alert you of the danger like this goat fellows dog? can that be trained? I would think that would be a huge benefit! I admit im scared to death of those things.

My dog is not trained to bark. He just happens to be a chatty fellow :lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 10:49 AM

My current Brittany circles and Barks until called "leave it". His actions are peculiar to snakes.He NEVER does that otherwise. Porcupines are another hazard faced by Bird dogs in the areas we hunt. Much harder to porky break a dog than for snakes....

Master Jeff

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 12:11 AM

We do the pre-bite shots every year, and I recommend you to do the same, no side effect noticed.

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-10-2017 at 09:46 AM
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.