[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 04:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
Thank you for your input JZ!

He's right on this argument.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gsbotanico  
There are hints in the Mexican coverage (en espaƱol) of this story that the killed officer was corrupt. But the newspapers and reporters have to be careful or they might be targeted. We will probably never know. To me it looks like a narco-assassination.

My experience is that innocent people are rarely targeted, but can be "collateral damage," for example, in a restaurant or on a crowded street. Some good advice above about staying clear of anything having to do with the illegal drug business. That's the advice I give to friends who have some concern about going to Baja.

I just read the story and my stomach dropped when I read that the Catavina police chief was killed in the ambush. A few years ago I was driving back to SoCal from Mulege on New Year's Eve and got pulled over just north of the Catavina police station. At first I was really angry thinking "great; another police shake down". When I pulled over the cop came to my window and said in broken English "the police chief needs a ride to Ensenada; can you give him one?" "Sure", I said (was there really an option?) and the passenger in the cop car behind me got out and got in my car; turned out that was the police chief (the same guy who just got murdered).

I rode the 4 1/2 hours with him; was a very nice guy and we talked about life in Catavina, being a cop in Mexico, etc. I wasn't worried about getting a ticket, that's for sure. He certainly didn't seem corrupt, but I really wouldn't know what a "corrupt cop" would seem like just based on conversation. Just seemed like a normal guy; he was sure full of stories.

Made me think, "would I do that again"? after reading this story. It would be hard to turn down a request from a police chief of a rural town who's asking for a ride. Pretty chilling though.

[Edited on 4-19-2017 by gallesram]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 05:50 PM

DK, please read my last post again..It is an observation, not an accusation..I know the truth is painful...But it is what it is..This post was all but dead until you picked the scab off it, to try and justify your stuff...As I said, pathetic....You do contribute at times, less often these days....Comment to JZ, If you were referencing me, I have not been in Baja since April of this year..

My last post was on April 5th, it got bumped up today(18th) by bent-rim who was making a joke of it, I think... and then YOU had to comment about me.

What for?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 06:00 PM

The deal is with El Capo enscounced in the US of A everyone is now fighting for turf. It's not about weed, but meth, human trafficking, and opiods. Until or if someone gets control, expect the violence to continue
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 09:22 PM

Paradise lost.
All-in-all, I feel the stretch between Guerrero and El Rosario/San Quintin is the 'tain't' of Baja. 'Tain't Baja Norte, 'tain't Baja Sur, so less infrastructure, less enforcement.... shows up on the highway, 'tain't enough reason to pave or restructure the road like what has been done in the last several years to the north and the south. Therefore, it's the Wild West in that area now, hence the more trafficking located in that corridor. Ain't gonna change either; and with the El Chapo vacuum of power the situation is up for grabs. Military, police, politicians, you name it will go to the highest (pun intended) bidder. Such a tough situation for such a beautiful and peaceful stretch of real estate. The BOLA Jct. area is one of my all-time favorite cardon forests of Baja.... always wanted to just hang out on the mountain desert there for a good while, but no more. Sign of the times.... travelers be aware and cautious. Keep movin', use your third eye.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2017 at 10:30 PM

JZ? "He" being whom? And, like I said, Thanks for your "OPINION"

I'll spell it out for you very clearly. You are coming across as a beta b#tch.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Get off your computer and actual explore Baja.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 06:50 PM

I seriously believe nobody here gives a fuuuuuck! Can you guys get a
grip and just let it go? Tiresome doesn't even begin to explain.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
I seriously believe nobody here gives a fuuuuuck! Can you guys get a
grip and just let it go? Tiresome doesn't even begin to explain.

Word.......jeeeezzzz.....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-19-2017 at 10:16 PM

my last post deleted. Peace, out.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Jbstevens44

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 09:20 PM

Well this is sketchy. I've got a trip planned this coming week. Planning on going from melings to catavina. I was planning on going to the beach and La Lobera but maybe I should just highway it through this area.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 09:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jbstevens44  
Well this is sketchy. I've got a trip planned this coming week. Planning on going from melings to catavina. I was planning on going to the beach and La Lobera but maybe I should just highway it through this area.

are you concerned about being shot at...or confronting a covey of cantankerous old nomads?
Jbstevens44

[*] posted on 4-22-2017 at 10:02 PM

Shot at, or running into thugs while driving while exploring.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 07:51 PM

I have found myself in places I should not have been, and have been closely scrutinized. I think it was a "who are you, why are you here, and we really don't like you here" message. Twice when stopped for lunch along the coast before La Lobera - there's a hut thing I got too close too - a truck stopped on the highway to see what I was doing - they watched me. Twice. Same experience, same place. Another time, I was camped en route to Punta Baja. Chick came cruising by in a truck looking at me - not friendly. There's a dirt road from the beach to the Punta Baja road where I was camped - likely an offloading beach. That same camping spot, I heard gunshots and cars driving really fast across the valley on the Canada Santo Tomas road. The hut is likely for storage, pick-up and onward. There's a similar hut south of Punta Baja at El Reyado wash on the point. Creepy. DK provided a photo excursion of his trip inland from El Soccoro. One of the photos was a curious camp scene, looked like someone in the middle of cooking a meal, but nowhere to be found. The camp had a view to the coast - a lookout for traffikers? Definitely this corridor is a hot spot. One night camping just south of the military base near La Gringa, there were trucks driving fast up and down the road from 1:00 am to 3:00 am. About 15 years ago, a kayak trip guide stopped doing trips around there because he would find drug bales floating around the Gulf awaiting pick-up. He didn't want to get mistakenly involved.
Thing is, if we're aware of where incidents might occur and what could happen, what the activity might entail, we can stay out of trouble. Bad guys stopping tourists with guns and asking you for a ride is taking it to a new level I'd say. And shootouts on Mex. 1 is pretty brazen. jbstevens: these are tourist routes, just go from point A to point B during daylight hours. Don't forget, regular families and citizens live in these areas too. Go a little further to Bahia de LA for the beach.
Jbstevens44

[*] posted on 4-23-2017 at 10:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
I have found myself in places I should not have been, and have been closely scrutinized. I think it was a "who are you, why are you here, and we really don't like you here" message. Twice when stopped for lunch along the coast before La Lobera - there's a hut thing I got too close too - a truck stopped on the highway to see what I was doing - they watched me. Twice. Same experience, same place. Another time, I was camped en route to Punta Baja. Chick came cruising by in a truck looking at me - not friendly. There's a dirt road from the beach to the Punta Baja road where I was camped - likely an offloading beach. That same camping spot, I heard gunshots and cars driving really fast across the valley on the Canada Santo Tomas road. The hut is likely for storage, pick-up and onward. There's a similar hut south of Punta Baja at El Reyado wash on the point. Creepy. DK provided a photo excursion of his trip inland from El Soccoro. One of the photos was a curious camp scene, looked like someone in the middle of cooking a meal, but nowhere to be found. The camp had a view to the coast - a lookout for traffikers? Definitely this corridor is a hot spot. One night camping just south of the military base near La Gringa, there were trucks driving fast up and down the road from 1:00 am to 3:00 am. About 15 years ago, a kayak trip guide stopped doing trips around there because he would find drug bales floating around the Gulf awaiting pick-up. He didn't want to get mistakenly involved.
Thing is, if we're aware of where incidents might occur and what could happen, what the activity might entail, we can stay out of trouble. Bad guys stopping tourists with guns and asking you for a ride is taking it to a new level I'd say. And shootouts on Mex. 1 is pretty brazen. jbstevens: these are tourist routes, just go from point A to point B during daylight hours. Don't forget, regular families and citizens live in these areas too. Go a little further to Bahia de LA for the beach.

My plan is to go from melings to catavina. Maybe Ill spend more time at melings ranch and just do the la lobera , skip punta Baja that day.
The next day I was planning on taking the dirt road just north of catavina to Santa rosalita and than hwy it to San Ignacio.
Day 4 is San Ignacio - San francisquito via el arco to Bahia de la
Day 5 b of la to San Felipe
Day 6 San Felipe back to Arizona.

Any hot spots or trouble areas I should be concerned with on these other days ?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 05:51 AM

Your day2 will be offseason for gringos camping along the coast. If youre not familiar with silt and traveling alone, good luck!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 07:14 AM

Punta Baja is fine if you go all the way to the end where the fishing boats are. There's a lady there who makes empenadas 3x/wk. for sale in town. Go - don't worry.
baron
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 10:19 AM

Why can't we all just get a bong?

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baron  
Why can't we all just get a bong?

Sure, why not?

But i find bongs messy, make a stinky mess when water is spilled. Prefer a simple pipe.

[Edited on 4-24-2017 by mtgoat666]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 10:40 AM

DUDE!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-25-2017 at 08:36 AM
El Rosario, Punta San Carlos and Punta Canoas

http://www.ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=48855
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.