BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Travel Trailers in Baja Sur
rickster22

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 02:57 PM
Travel Trailers in Baja Sur

Does anyone know the ins and outs of buying/licensing/insuring a travel trailer in Baja? I have lots of info on the purchasing of cars and trucks, but little is said on the subject of travel trailers. Specifically, can a trailer that is registered in Baja Sur be purchased by a Gringo on a FMM/Touist visa, registered and insured in Baja Sur by the new owner, and then be towed behind a US or Canadian registered truck in Baja?

Alternatively, if the "Canadian or US registered truck" is an issue, is it possible to register/insure the trailer in Baja as a non-resident gringo, but hire a Mexican with a truck to move the trailer?

I guess what it boils down to is whether you need a Mexican Drivers License to register a trailer, and whether the jurisdiction of the tow vehicle and the trailer have to match?

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 04:48 PM

A trailer duly imported to Mexico and eligible for Mx plates, would be a rarity - in Baja. Most of them have been brought by gringos and left there - likely without importing, so they still are (or were) registered somewhere in the US/Canada.

When a trailer is sitting on a camp all the time (sounded like this is your plan?), nobody cares about plates. If it's not possible to lawfully put either Mx or US plates on it, and you're worried about insurance issues on the road, get Mx seller to bring it to your "dream camp" and take delivery there.

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Alm]
rickster22

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 05:20 PM

Thanks Alm. I was hoping to be able to use it for both free beach camping and put it into storage for the summer, and possibly after a year or two, park it in my dream Baja location, and then take it on the road once or twice a year from there for a vacation from my vacation!

I was thinking that buying one in Baja would be good, as the ones I see for sale there seem to be cheaper than they are up in Canada, and it would save me the cost of hauling it down. Buying a US or Canada registered one in Baja would mean I would have to transfer ownership to British Columbia, which means importing it to Canada, hauling it up to British Columbia for the safety check before it can be registered, and then bringing it back down....definitely a major pain......So the only way to avoid that would be to happen upon a British Columbia registered trailer in the Baja....less likely, but probably not impossible, given the crazy number of Canucks kicking around BCS!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2017 at 06:53 PM

If Baja seller has clear title and the trailer is movable, you can try and register it in your name. Trailers sitting in Baja 15-20 years can be cheap but dangerous to tow. I would rather buy RV from dealer in South Cali, close to Baja and in dry climate, not much water damage, and register it in the US.

Baja trailer from BC Canuck? If it's movable, he'll be traveling North-South twice a year, and if it's not good for towing than you don't want it either. Some bring an old trailer as a "live-in site office" while they are building a home, they don't bring a new trailer for this, and by the time the construction is finished, it's older yet. Chances of water damage in an old trailer of BC origin will be high.

Here is what you can do:

1) Find a US outlet that will assist you with trailer registration. There several businesses providing US citizens with an "alternative" address ;).
Many use South Dakota to register their US cars because SD registration is cheap. Here is one outlet: http://mydakotaaddress.com/. No personal experience with this one.

I think somebody used Americas Mailbox: http://www.americas-mailbox.com/ , they claim to handle SD registrations as well.

There are also LLC that will register RV even to little green men with horns, here is one: http://www.bennettlawofficepc.com/registration-services.html... They open a mini-corporation in Montana with one member - you - and register RV to this corporation. Expensive but still cheaper than doing this through Canada.

2) Buy a trailer in Baja or in South Cali or Az. When you buy in Ca, you pay sales tax (10%?), no matter that you don't register it there. Ca dealers usually tow trailer to Ca/Az border ~3 hours, you go with them, sign delivery in Az, zero sales tax because you're "out of state buyer". US dealers can also give you one-trip tow permit but I believe it only allows you to move trailer from the lot to another close location without stopping. Don't try crossing the border with this.

3) Pay deposit to dealer (or private seller) and get necessary trailer details, it's yours now - model, weight, length, VIN etc - don't remember what else is important to register it in the US, Dakota will tell you.

4) Get the plates in the mail and go pick up the trailer. Canadian truck with US-plated trailer won't cause any issues with cops in Baja. Can't say about Mexican insurance, it sounds odd to me when one person has 2 legal addresses, one for truck and another one for a trailer, but apparently people do this. Mexican insurance for US/Can vehicle, btw, is desirable, recommended, but not mandatory - they ask about it at the border sometimes, but won't bother you on Baja roads. Or buy an old pickup in the US, register in SD an leave it to rust in Baja with trailer.

"Free beach camping" is a utopia. Most any accessible beach will have an owner, even if the guy isn't there every day. Such places are often not safe to leave a trailer for a few hours while exploring the area or going to town. Petty theft is a reality. I would rather get some van or a thing like Chevy Suburban, where you could sleep a few nights while driving around.
Good luck in your quest.

[Edited on 4-1-2017 by Alm]
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 05:03 PM

Keeping a travel trailer road worthy, that's stored near, or on the beach, or towed regularly in Mexico requires A LOT of maintenance. We don't use our travel trailer other than once or twice a year when we go up to the U.S.. Since we don't have a home up there, we camp in our RV when we make trips up North. The rest of the time it's "in storage".

Our travel trailer is 6 years old and I had to completely change out the suspension and hubs last year due to rust, worn shackles, rusted U-bolts and break parts. The wheel bearings dry out in about a year, so you'll have to re-pack the bearings yearly if you want to keep it safe, plus you'll have to keep the sun off the roof unless you want the vents to disintegrate. The roads take their toll also. I've bent and replaced two axles in 6 years and I drive carefully.

Most people who park them never plan to move again so it doesn't matter if the bottom, suspension, and bearings rusts out. If you want to keep it road worthy just be prepared to do yearly maintenance and rust prevention to keep it safe. There's no set it and forget it.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 07:45 AM

this time of year seasonal expats are leaving . good deals on trailers are common.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2017 at 04:19 PM

When a trailer is parked stationary and not moved at all, it will take a bit longer than a year for wheel bearings to dry out. If traveled regularly - then yes.

Coating on all shiny and painted exterior metal parts would deteriorate after a few years. And so will plastic vents on the roof, if left exposed to sun. Covered storage is costly. Most "storage" places are not covered, this doesn't do much for preservation, only safety.
rickster22

[*] posted on 4-3-2017 at 08:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Beginning to sound like a "stationary" trailer for a home base, coupled with a truck camper or camper van for beach stays might be a more practical set up.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigWooo  
Keeping a travel trailer road worthy, that's stored near, or on the beach, or towed regularly in Mexico requires A LOT of maintenance. We don't use our travel trailer other than once or twice a year when we go up to the U.S.. Since we don't have a home up there, we camp in our RV when we make trips up North. The rest of the time it's "in storage".

By "in storage" BigWooo meant we keep our trailer on gravel on our back lot, behind a windblock fence, with an RV cover on it. ;)
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 01:51 PM

If you are OK to sleep in a truck camper, why even start with a trailer at "home base" unless you've already decided on the location.

One month a year split between free beaches, cheap camps with shower and low-key hotels will cost under $400, without pains of maintenance.

rickster22

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 02:36 PM

I agree, that's the way to start. The better half's camping limit is probably about 3 or 4 weeks. Ultimately I will want to find a longer term setup, as I would like to spend 5 or 6 months per year here.....but spending the first season or two looking sounds like a good time, even if you never find it!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.