BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Top to Bottom W/ Three Teenagers.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 10:07 AM
Top to Bottom W/ Three Teenagers.

Survived. La Ventana kinda sucked this trip. I think we're done with LV. Haven't been to Los Barriles since '96. Really enjoyed it a lot. Spent a couple nights at Cabo Pulmo (Arbolitos). One of the clearest snorkeling days we've ever seen there (surprising given the winds prior). Bad turn north of San Jose del Cabo (paved street disappeared and dropped off into an arroyo) and took out a powerline when backing out (need a better navigator). Lost one center cap off the truck (at least it was the previously munched one). It was a great trip.

You gonna eat that?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 01:19 PM

Sorry that la ventana was no bueno - why, if I might inquire?

I bet your teens really liked snorkeling in CPulmo -any photos?

Taking the wrong turn can get one into a lot of trouble...we don't do the desert much anymore but Les and I sure got lost a couple of times!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2017 at 03:19 PM

It wasn't awesome last time either. Food is not good. Just a different vibe than the rest of Baja, it seems. Just Gringo kiteboarders, like us. Well, kiteboarder bums. Used to be a sailboarder bum, but those days are long gone. Just not our scene. Good friends there, however. Still, Los Barriles seems to suit us better.

[Edited on 4-2-2017 by DeMinimis]

You gonna eat that?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 05:20 AM

Arbolitos ! I think this may be where we camped in '68. I was down with the new owners of Las Baracas and they had been camping at Arbolitos for many years and were close friends of the family there. They had kids, my age, 16 years old, and we spent a lot of time together. Trip of a life time. Now I'll look up Cabo Pumo and see if I can match up any of the photos from back then. Sorry about high jacking your post but I didn't know where Arbolitos was after so long. Thanks!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 07:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  

Just curious before I pull the plug.... seems like kite prices are set by the manufactures on the websites I have looked at.

A bit of a hijack, but here is a quick answer to your question.

During the summer season, (starting now), gear seems to be sold at MSRP.

End of season closeouts, (Sept), most dealers roll back prices at least 30%.

Keep checking on-line. You might still find some of last season's deals. Good Luck.

And just a suggestion - Stay with one manufacturer. Performance/power levels of a given kite size can vary from one brand to another.
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 08:15 AM

No worries. I'm a Slingshot guy. You can often find last year models on various sites for a better deal. Houston Kiteboarding, Macs and Green Hat are just some I've purchased from in the past. eBay is NOT your friend when it comes to kites.

You gonna eat that?
DeMinimis
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 08:48 AM

Do I ride? Ha! I go a few feet, wad up, invert and swear. I do this over and over and over......and over. I have a kiteboarding mental block. I'll get there. It's weird. I live in The Gorge. I used to sailboard obsessively through the 90's. I wakeboard all Summer long on flat days (and if not wanting to call it a day, but too beat up to wakeboard anymore, I'll wake surf until the light fades). I've flown kites for a bazillion hours it seems (trainer, then the regular kites). I used to instruct snowboarding. I've taken lessons and got the usual "you've progressed faster than any of my students (of your age)" line. And, yet, I get up, go a bit, crash and invert (my problem is keeping the kite flying when I'm Supermanning across the water). Really hoped for a breakthrough in LV this year as it's such a good KB site, but we were skunked on the front end and it was too windy on the back end of our four-day stay there. Anyway, to answer your question, twintip although I'll move to a surfboard after getting some skills (if ever). Looking forward to a board because even when windsurfing back int he day, I often rode outside my straps (to my friends' constant amusement and wonderment (how I could jump with feet outside the straps). Uggh. This is the year!!! My damn kids are already way past me. They do just fine....and mock me. Little bastards.

You gonna eat that?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.