Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja has a newly discovered spider
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 4-4-2017 at 10:28 PM
Baja has a newly discovered spider

From: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/science/sd-me-cave-... (photos available on website)

(Warning: they like " dark, reclusive places"- like caves and...outhouses. Be careful out there. )

Saucer-sized spider discovered in Baja cave

In the hills of Baja, Michael Wall and Jim Berrian found a creature that’s the stuff of nightmare for most people — a cave spider nearly the size of a tarantula.

For the two San Diego Natural History Museum researchers, it was an exciting windfall — an unknown arachnid as wide across as a softball.

“This is the type of spider that a lot of people would shriek and run from — it’s big enough to fall in that category,” said Wall, curator of entomology for the museum.

The brand new species has the stuff of horror films: eight beady eyes, thick fang-like structures, a hairy, inch-long body and legs stretching four inches wide. Berrian, however, describes it in more flattering terms.

“I think it’s a really pretty spider,” he said. “The head and legs are kind of a chocolate brown. The abdomen is a dull yellow. And it’s kind of plain, but very striking.”

After confirming the spider as a new species, they named it Califorctenus cacachilensis after the Sierra Cacachilas mountain range where they found it, and published the discovery in the journal Zootaxa last month.

There are 1.1 million species of insects and spiders that have been scientifically described, but an estimated four million species are yet to be identified and named, Wall said. So encountering a new type of spider isn’t necessarily unusual.

“The odds of discovering a new species are pretty high,” Wall said. “But that said, generally, (most) new species discovered are little itty-bitty things that people don’t pay attention to, so given the size of this spider, that was surprising.”

Berrian first saw shed exoskeletons of the species in a grotto in the Cacachilas during a 2013 expedition, and was on the lookout for the live thing. Soon he and Wall found one in a nearby cave, and another in an abandoned mine shaft. Local ranchers with broad knowledge of the area’s wildlife hadn’t seen it before, but the researchers kept searching. They spotted more of them in the cement pit of old outhouse and others in secluded crevices.

“Once we knew that they were in these dark, reclusive places, we started targeting those and ended up finding more of them,” Wall said.

They located about two dozen of them, Berrian said, and brought back about eight specimens. Convinced that the spider was unlike others in the area, but unsure what it was, they consulted Mexican entomologist Maria Jimenez to nail down its taxonomy. She concluded that the new species belongs to the family of wandering spiders, which includes the Brazilian wandering spider, known for its potent and sometimes lethal venom. Cacachilensis looks like it could wield an impressive bite as well.

“They're pretty meaty,” Wall said. “They do have clearly visible fangs. You don’t have to look very hard to find them.”

Under rows of black eyes, the spider has thick, hairy pincers that can deliver a venomous sting. That’s how the wandering spiders, named for their habit of roaming for prey, hunt for food and defend themselves against other animals.

“It’s intimidating, and that can be enough for a lot of things to leave you alone, except loony-tune arachnologists,” Berrian said, acknowledging that it wasn’t enough to deter him from handling the spiders.

Unlike its Brazilian cousin, he discovered, cacachilensis doesn’t seem to kill you.

“I was bitten by one of these spiders down in Baja,” he said, describing it as milder than a bee or wasp sting. “It was like being poked by a cactus spine and a little mild pain, but it went away in a few hours.”

The spider’s discovery came during a series of expeditions by researchers at the San Diego Natural History Museum to explore and catalogue the flora and fauna of remote regions of Baja. They believe the species is unique — or endemic — to certain areas of the Baja Peninsula. So that makes it an important find in terms of research and conservation of the region.

“This spider has a very small range,” Berrian said. “Along with other endemics — birds and reptiles — altogether, it tells a story of the uniqueness of that area. And we can use that to justify protection.”

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 07:15 AM

Very cool...
I wish they would let us know what general area of Baja they found them... Sierra Cacachilas doesn't show on the Baja Almanac index.
Anyone recognize that mine or mission-era tunnel, in the video?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Very cool...
I wish they would let us know what general area of Baja they found them... Sierra Cacachilas doesn't show on the Baja Almanac index.
Anyone recognize that mine or mission-era tunnel, in the video?

it's the mountains east of la paz, between la paz and la ventana
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 08:19 AM

There is a Rancho Cacachilas which they state is located in Sierra Cacachilas (guess they should know). Located near El Sargento south of La Paz - have to assume west of there. Rcho Cacachilas has a website - they offer a trail system for mule trips and trail bikes. I'm sure they could help you out if you wanted to find these spiders. There is mention of mines on their website as well.

[Edited on 4-5-2017 by wilderone]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 08:30 AM

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 08:34 AM

Thanks Cindi and Mt. Goat!
Nice web sites!

https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/
https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/mining-history/

I found (On the Almanac) an Arroyo Cacachila (Cacachilla) in the Sierra las Canoas, NW of El Sargento/La Ventana. Map 21, R5.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 08:40 AM

OMG - just looking at the WAY TOO BIG photo makes me freak.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Cindi and Mt. Goat!
Nice web sites!

https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/
https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/mining-history/

I found (On the Almanac) an Arroyo Cacachila (Cacachilla) in the Sierra las Canoas, NW of El Sargento/La Ventana. Map 21, R5.

rancho cacachilas may be a wolf in sheeps clothing,... the ranch is conducting mineral exploration,... they say "just to see what's there,..." but you know what happens if they find economic ore, owners start imagining champagne wishes and caviar dreams...
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 09:18 AM

How clever of them!
I guess we better all go to this eco-resort before they begin mining operations!

Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 09:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  

Was at their gate yesterday and it had a sign asking to look at their website ( https://www.ranchocacachilas.com/home) to check for when they will be open. I have lived/visited La Paz for 18 years and never knew about this place until yesterday!Now I have more to learn!!!

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 10:58 AM

Very interesting that in 2017, new and endemic arachnoids are still being discovered.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 12:03 PM

I can't believe the researcher let it bite him. Guess its a good thing its not very deadly.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 01:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
I can't believe the researcher let it bite him. Guess its a good thing its not very deadly.

Interesting statistic; there's a professor of entomology at NAU that has let every insect he could find either sting or bite him so he could rate the pain and toxicity levels . Personally I think the guy is nertz. However, his finding was the most painful sting he'd encountered to date was that of the Tarantula Hawk wasp. Also I once guided for the head prof. of entomology for Cal Berkley, and he loved to brag he was the only Doctor who could claim a 100% mortality rate on every one of his patients. Those bug-doc's are a weird bunch.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2017 at 03:19 PM

"...never knew about this place until yesterday! Now I have more to learn"
Let us know what else you find out. If they have day use, using their trails for hiking/exploring? I can understand where they might want to see what's in the old mines.
jessk68

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 07:06 AM

oh no it's too creepy:(
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 08:01 PM

If I had seen that in the wild I would have called it a tarantula. I wonder how they differ.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2017 at 08:44 PM

I think I saw one in my attic here in Mulege!!! (grin) For some reason all spiders are ten times larger when encountered in tight spots and poor lighting.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-7-2017 at 08:37 PM

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.