Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Taking Bus Border to Mulege
1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 11:23 AM
Taking Bus Border to Mulege

I know there are probably conversations on this somewhere but I am not sure how to find them

any info about how to get to the bus station from say San Diego and times and fares is most helpful
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 01:07 PM

I used the trolly to the border...

walk across

taxi (~200pesos) to the bus station

bus to mulege...

bus station is a BIG place...food and bathrooms

troll.jpg - 116kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 02:36 PM

There is no bus from the border to Mulege.

You need to get to Tijuana Central Camionera, located near "Otay" district. Address: Blvd. Lázaro C.a.r.d.e.n.a.s 15751, Fraccionamiento Chapultepec Alamar, Tijuana. Getting to Camionera by public transit is easier through San Ysidro crossing than Otay crossing.

Buses to Sta Rosalia and Mulege leave at 12.00 (noon) and 00.30 (midnight). Plus, there used to be buses at 6am, 4pm and 6 pm. Midnight is a sure bet. Midnight bus can be late 'cause it's coming from Mexicali.

It takes 15 hours in the night, longer yet in daytime. 4 pm bus will arrive to Mulege at 8am local South time, give or take, depends on whether it leaves on time and for how long it stops for supper or breakfast somewhere. Midnight bus will arrive by ~5pm.

At Tijuana terminal go to Aguilla bus counter and ask. Last time I was going that way, she told me - no buses South, only to Ensenada. After some prodding she said - Oh yeah, there is a bus but we can't officially sell the tickets, so you have to buy a ticket to Ensenada ~200 MXN and later you pay the "shaffer" for the rest of the trip because this bus does indeed go there. The guy asked for 600 MXN to BOLA turn-off, $US 40 total trip. When they were selling full tickets at the terminal, it was ~$US 80.

There are few options to get to Central Camionera. You can take a trolley if you travel light, and then walk half a mile to taxi. Or you can take Greyhound from San Diego ~$15 or from LA ~$25, leaves every 1.5-2 hours, stops in San Ysidro behind the big building with MCDonalds, then at Mex customs and arrives to that Camionera. Greyhound from SY to Camionera costs the same $15.

From SAN airport to SY you can take a shuttle $55, or Uber for slightly less, about 30 minutes ride, or again a public transit - express bus to Americas Plaza ~$2 and then Blue Line Trolley ~$2, takes slightly more than one hour.

There is not much to do at Camionera, especially with a midnight bus. The place is OK but not enjoyable. Cold metal seats, pay toilets, a couple of average to mediocre food joints. There is a luggage storage and free WiFi.

Edit - PS: automatic editor didn't like the ending "a.s. " in the street name. I thought the "wrong" word ended with two ss, no? :)

[Edited on 4-7-2017 by Alm]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 02:56 PM

I prefer to take the Greyhound from San Diego and it takes you right to the central big bus station and leaves every half hour I think. There must be an Aguila bus from tj at around 7 or 8 as the bus I take to get from Ensenada to Vizcaino arrives in Ensenada at 10 and comes from TJ.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 03:06 PM

Aguila schedule does show 8 pm bus to Mulege but the Aguila cashier at Tij was firm (at the beginning) that there wasn't any buses father than Ensenada at all :)
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

At Tijuana terminal go to Aguilla bus counter and ask. Last time I was going that way, she told me - no buses South, only to Ensenada. After some prodding she said - Oh yeah, there is a bus but we can't officially sell the tickets, so you have to buy a ticket to Ensenada ~200 MXN and later you pay the "shaffer" for the rest of the trip because this bus does indeed go there. The guy asked for 600 MXN to BOLA turn-off, $US 40 total trip. When they were selling full tickets at the terminal, it was ~$US 80.
[Edited on 4-7-2017 by Alm]

Alm, back in the day, I rode the bus TJ/ La Paz a few times.
Am I reading your post correctly, as buying a TJ Central Bus
Station to Ensenada, then paying the 'shaffer', is that to mean
one of the bus drivers? Result being $40 to BoLA Junc
instead of $80? thanks for the info

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2017 at 05:32 PM

Yes, paid to shaffer - this is how they call drivers.

This would be normal when getting on the bus in the middle of nowhere, like from BOLA to Tij. He would approach you somewhere in Ensenada and would whisper "sesientos" or whatever is the going rate.

OTH, from Tij to BOLA I was prepared to buy $80-90 ticket like before but Aguila cashier was unable to sell it - not to Punta Prieta, not to Gro Negro, not to anywhere past Ensenada. I think some reorganization or territorial dispute is going on.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2017 at 09:00 AM

boy

turf war by the bus lines?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 08:26 AM

Never been in one but they sure do haul *ss. I remember a bus on my tail along Conception. I could not shake him until the straightaway where he passed me. He was gone!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 08:38 AM

A few years back on the mainland, I made the mistake of passing a bus on a long grade. The driver seemed to take it personally, and narrowly avoided several head on encounters trying to pass me back!

I was driving a Suburban pulling a small boat, so it was a while before I could find a pull out that I could get out of his way, and I was not driving slowly!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 09:00 AM

yes there are issues between ABC and AGUILA, the 2 bus lines which is why some offices cant sell tickets for certain buses...like the 10 in the morning bus from Ensenada...they will half an hour before the bus leaves only.
You can pay the driver sometimes....called the chauffuer.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
A few years back on the mainland, I made the mistake of passing a bus on a long grade. The driver seemed to take it personally, and narrowly avoided several head on encounters trying to pass me back!

I was driving a Suburban pulling a small boat, so it was a while before I could find a pull out that I could get out of his way, and I was not driving slowly!

Been there, done that... once. I don't pass them now and I slow down at the first passing opportunity when they're behind me. They have a schedule to keep and I don't.
1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 09:23 AM

I love this bulletin board --thank you all for the great directions - I remember those "Dino" busses coming up behind you on sharp mountain curves and inspiring you to move aside - if only there was such a place - a bus ride will be a many sided adventure for sure
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-9-2017 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
called the chauffuer.

Shaffer sounds like slang for Chauffeur, the french word for driver, used all over Europe.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 12:24 PM

Was on a bus TJ/La Paz, contrary to popular belief, most drivers
are middle aged family guys, no death wish, but this time was
a young guy driving, the other driver pointing out the sights along 1, I then realized this was his 1st trip. So. of Catavina
at nite just hauling, might have been doing 80 mph. I was in the
1st seat, thought of having him pull over and let me out in
the middle of nowhere. Then a young local girl went up and
appeared to be flirting with him, which he slowed down to
reasonable speed, don't know if that was intentional but
I was thankful

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:36 AM

I enjoy traveling by bus in Mexico. Coming back from Loreto once, we were traveling north, and about 3:00 am hit something hard, and evidently the bus started leaking some liquid. The bus had to stop, everybody got out, and we waited 4 hours until a replacement bus came to continue on. A couple people started small fires to stay warm, and we watched the sun come up. I was in no hurry - kind of a unique experience.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 08:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
called the chauffuer.

Shaffer sounds like slang for Chauffeur, the french word for driver, used all over Europe.

Chofer...spelling of the realm. Not slang. Just a bit less formal than "conductor."
Of course, there's always the international "Hey You"....but it ain't very nice.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  
Quote: Originally posted by vandenberg  
called the chauffuer.

Chofer...spelling of the realm. Not slang. Just a bit less formal than "conductor."

That is exactly right, Dennis.

Mi amigo is a bus driver in La Paz and that is what he calls himself when talking about work.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.