BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does anyone recognize this structure?
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 03:07 PM
Does anyone recognize this structure?

Does anyone know anything about this structure. I'm trying to track down the owner. Its on Rancho Bonito in the Sauzal area of Ensenada. Thanks

el-sauza1.jpg - 95kB el-sauzal2.jpg - 138kB
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
As long as the rebar is showing it doesn't get taxed at the higher rate! :lol:

Your stretching it in your hard run for 50,000. Try keeping it on-topic.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2017 at 08:03 PM

Actually a completed residence is taxed at a lower rate that a bare lot. I doubt if these structures have been approved by Catastro

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:43 AM

Actually the law (in Ensenada) requires building permits. Catastro (Urban Development) issues them. There are many conditions pre and post construction. I'm not sure if the structures in the photos comply. Unfortunately many do not comply and enforcement is lax. Property with a building on it and that has met all the Catastro requirements qualifies for a lower taxation rate than a bare lot. Additionally, of the homeowner had a "DIF Card" (Mexican Federal Government Senior ID),the tax rate is further reduced.

Looks like the owner of the structures in the photos ran out of money or is holding out for a higher sales price for that prime property

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Actually a completed residence is taxed at a lower rate that a bare lot. I doubt if these structures have been approved by Catastro

Thank you. I wonder if the silly rebar showing thing will ever end. Stupid weak spot in the law that lets people have a special rate for an unfinished structure with no time limits to complete it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 12:24 PM

Thank you. I wonder if the silly rebar showing thing will ever end. Stupid weak spot in the law that lets people have a special rate for an unfinished structure with no time limits to complete it.

Apparently you did not read or understand the above posts...vacant land or unfinished structures are taxed at a higher rate than finished structures.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Apparently you did not read or understand the above posts...vacant land or unfinished structures are taxed at a higher rate than finished structures.

Why are buildings intentionally left with rebar sticking up, unfinished? Maybe things are different now but in my over 50 years of travel to Mexico, the explanation I have heard repeatedly for the unfinished block work/ exposed rebar had always been to keep the property in the lower tax bracket.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:26 PM

Why are buildings intentionally left with rebar sticking up, unfinished? Maybe things are different now but in my over 50 years of travel to Mexico, the explanation I have heard repeatedly for the unfinished block work/ exposed rebar had always been to keep the property in the lower tax bracket.

You do not have to believe me. I only built, live, and pay taxes here. Believe the other posters above.

in my 60 years of travel and 22 years of owning property, the reason rebar is left above the roof line , is many plan ahead for a second story which may or may not get done.

The buildings above are obviously unfinished and would be in the higher tax bracket (no livable quarters).

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by rts551]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:41 PM

OK Ralph.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

gsbotanico
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 08:28 AM

I believe that the large number of unfinished buildings with rebar sticking up relates to a reality in Mexico: much construction, whether a small house or a mega project, is financed out of pocket, not with prearranged loans large enough to complete a project. If the builder runs out of money, the project is delayed, often for a very long time, or never completed.

Examples of this are all over the place. In El Descanso, just south of Cantamar/Primo Tapia, there is an unfinished project that looks like it was to be a small strip mall. It's between the highway and ocean. It's been sitting there "abandoned" for many years. North and south are unfinished condo towers. Who knows when work will resume?
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:32 AM

Way off topic, but a rough explanation to building in Mexico for the novice.
Mexican style concrete block building is like old style wood post and beam, the block walls are just to fill in the framed openings.
That is one reason a lot of contractors here use the cheapest block, but down the road when you need to attach any type of anchoring system you will have problems, your anchoring system is only as strong as its substrate.
Footings are zapatas, the tied up rebar on them are called cadenas, vertical post called castillos, horizontal beams are través, don't count on my Spanish spelling or my measurements.
Post are usually 2.5 meters apart, beams can be around 1.5 meters high, sizes and materials can change, it all depends on the structural engineering plans and how much money your contractor has left from the anticipo you gave him to get started.
Prices vary on materials used, I'm seeing many high end homes being built very cheaply, instead of using only rebar for all post and beams, many are substituting a pre fab welded metal post and beam using what's called armex, it is a much lighter gauge metal, but a lot faster and cheaper in both labor and material, but in my personal opinion not nearly as strong, although I have seen some contractors recently that use the armex, but they also tie in some rebar for added strength.
So this is one of the reasons why prices can vary so much for obra negra even though it's just a roughed in concrete shell, the big monetary differences used to be in the finishes.
Back to why rebar or armex is left sticking up, speaking only from a personal construction point of view, if the owner or builder possibly wants to tie into the existing structure at some point, then they will tie directly into the exposed rebar or armex without having to chip existing concrete away from a post or beam and weakening it, and then tying into the exposed metal.
Just my opinion.
mtnpop
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 11:15 AM

All this useful or useless information and unless I missed it the original question posed he still does not know who the owner is or how track him down...
Although lots of info on ppty taxes, building permits etc...
nothing like a good hijack just for kicks...

Common sense is a flower that doesn\'t grow in everyone\'s garden.....

A wise man once spoke nothing.....

Never kick a cow chip on a hot day!!
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtnpop  
All this useful or useless information and unless I missed it the original question posed he still does not know who the owner is or how track him down...

The information is interesting, but you are correct, still trying to track down the owner.....
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 01:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by nbentley1  

The information is interesting, but you are correct, still trying to track down the owner.....

Have you gone to the Delegation or where ever property taxes are paid for the area. That is your best bet,
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 05:58 PM

Have you gone to the Delegation or where ever property taxes are paid for the area. That is your best bet,

That's a great idea. Thanks
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 07:17 PM

That would be the Municipal Building in Ensenada across from the Army Base. Westman and Reforma (Hwy 1)

You may also have to go to Urban Development (Catastro). They approve the building permits and land use/zoning
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 08:37 AM

That would be the Municipal Building in Ensenada across from the Army Base. Westman and Reforma (Hwy 1)

You may also have to go to Urban Development (Catastro). They approve the building permits and land use/zoning

Thank you.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2017 at 06:13 PM

Check your u2u, upper right corner by your login info

Thank you.
nbentley1
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 02:07 PM

Check your u2u, upper right corner by your login info

Thank you.

Much appreciated.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 02:11 PM

Just be aware when the wind changes direction you will be getting that wonderful aroma from the fish processing plants just to the south

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.