BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Not one American stopped to help. Not one.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:16 AM
Not one American stopped to help. Not one.

Our last trip down and back I continued my usual practice of the casual windshield wave to oncoming traffic on Hwy 1. Only 1 American returned the wave all others refusing to acknowledge the presence of someone else in their world. A sign of the change that has taken place in Baja over the 48 years we have been traveling to and from Baja. Of course the truckers wave back often.

Recently a good friend of ours from orangeless county was involved in a rollover on Hwy 1 south of Guerrero Negro. She was traveling north with her 2 children. They were not seriously hurt but definitely shaken to the core.

This is from her blog about the accident:

"By now at least five cars had stopped to help. These were the kindest, most thoughtful people I have ever encountered. They wrapped my kids and I in blankets, washed the dirt off our arms and faces, gave us water to drink and collected all of our things that had flown across the desert when we crashed. They asked what we had of value and made sure that my computer, phone, ipad, passports, wallet and anything else of value was next to my person, while I held my kids and talked them through what happened.

I was terrified of possible concussion or internal injuries and so I talked non-stop to the kids. My daughter kept repeating the same questions to me and my son kept nearly falling asleep; both behaviors terrified me. As soon as I would answer questions from the people helping the kids would go into states of shock. I was panicked that they would fall asleep, so we counted over and over to one hundred, first in English and then Spanish and then in English again and so on. Over and over. By now, I realized that my right arm was broken, my left hand might be broken and the blood that I had noticed earlier was coming from a wound on my head. My hair was matted in blood. I was tired. I wanted to sleep too. But we continued to count as we sat next to the remains of our truck.

There must have been at least ten Americans that drove past during this time. I even eerily made eye contact with one women as I held my babies and counted, and they slowly drove past. Not one American stopped to help. Not one. Would you have stopped? I ask myself that everyday now. I don't know if I would have before all of this. I didn’t need them. I speak Spanish. But it sure would have been a comfort. I still can’t believe that so many Americans drove past and not one stopped."

Wow. Not one American stopped. Not one.

Every time an American did not wave back on our recent trip I thought how things have changed, how the Americans who are in Baja now have changed.

Since when did we Americans in Baja become the self absorbed who would not wave back?

Since when did we Americans become the asssholes who would not stop to help others in distress?

To read the entire account of the accident visit the blog. I'm sure at least a few will know the author and her family. I know they would have stopped to help others as they have in the past.

http://www.thisgypsypath.com/

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:38 AM

When it's obvious that many other's have already stopped to help, your stopping just adds to the confusion and safety-issues unless you possess a special talent that would truly be needed. I always worry about traffic control (safety) at accident sites, so if obviously needed I always stop to help with that.

The traffic is now so heavy on Mex 1 that waving to all becomes redundant, but I sure use to in the "old days" when traffic was light.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:44 AM

I love the "Baja wave". Usually don't do it on Hwy 1 (due to high speed) but on the backroads it is still alive and well.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:52 AM

I agree. With multiple other vehicles already on site it would seem that more isn't better. We only carry a small first aid kit now. A trucker has a radio that can talk to GN or San Q. Stop them until word gets transmitted to the authorities if you are first in.

We always wave on dirt roads!

[Edited on 4-11-2017 by woody with a view]

wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 09:20 AM

On our way down last fall, we came upon a van stopped in a blind corner just South of Catavina. It was about 6:30 AM and there were a number of people standing around the van. A young woman was standing near the front holding a set of jumper cables. We pulled over and turned our van around so we were facing theirs. We connected the jumper cables and let it charge for a while. The engine would not tun over.

My wife started talking to them in Spanish and found out that there were 8 people in the van and they had no food or water. They had broken down the previous evening and had parked in the South bound lane of highway 1 because there was no shoulder. She went to get some trail food and water. When my wife handed the packets to the woman, she said there were 18 people in the van. They were on their way to a rehab center in Cabo. Then she gave them all the trail mix we had and almost all the water.

I used a meter to check the fuses and found that a 60 amp fuse was blown. As I was pulling it out, two Americans stopped and asked what was wrong. One went to the back of his van and pulled out the correct fuse. I put it in but the engine would not start.

I then took out all storage boxes under the bed to remove our second battery and installed that in their van. The engine would now turn over just fine but it still would not start.

I siphoned some gas from my motorcycle and put that into the carburetor but the engine would not run.

About this time, a military convoy stopped. My wife had been signaling South bound traffic to slow down and they took over that job. Their commander came over and asked what was going on. I told him in English what I had tried and that the problem was probably ignition but I could not fix that. He said they would take over from there, so I reinstalled my battery and packed all my tools.

They were very grateful that we had stopped.

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 10:40 AM

Ten years ago I rolled my truck between La Paz and Constitucion. Seat belt worked, I climbed out of the topside door. A Mexican couple was behind me and both ran up to me and gave me needed hugs. My camper shell was off, camping and fishing gear strewn on the highway. Every Mexican vehicle stopped, picked up my stuff and the broken camper shell. Not one would accept any money for their help. A trucker used a chain to flip my truck over and dragged it off the road. So many people checked on my welfare and offered to contact authorities where they were going. Point of this is: between 8 - 10 US plated vehicles (most California) drove by without stopping in spite of my California plate aimed out at the road.

To continue, a tow truck arrived, deemed a Federal highway and couldn't tow, but wanted payment anyway. A second Federally authorized towtruck arrived and used my socket set to drop driveline. Meanwhile a Federal police arrived and wanted $200 to make a report and NOT impound the truck. He would not take a traveler's check. I rode with the tow truck driver, first stop was for gas (on me). Second stop was for beer (on me). Then on to our house in Todos Santos where the truck was stored until a local bought it for parts (but fixed everything and it is on the road to this day). Neighbors greeted us (we had just left) and wondered why I was smiling and so happy. Upside down on the highway, wonderful Mexican folks helping, and another Baja experience with really no real serious harm done. Had a Ballena of beer and went to sleep and rode back to states with a friend.

We always stop, carry a first aid kit, and try to help in any way we can. As the recipient of the compassion and assistance of the Mexican people, I can do no less.
DawnPatrol
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:03 AM

I am so sorry to hear this. I kind of agree that if there was a heavy presence of people helping already maybe that was the reason they didn't stop. But who knows...

On a personal level two years ago we broke down on Hwy 1 and only after about 10minutes the first person to stop WAS an American couple and they gave me a ride back up the line to San Quintin so I could get necessary parts/help.

In our case it was a simple breakdown and no injuries or rollover.

I am glad everyone is OK

Alan from SD
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:09 AM

You can't always count on a US plated car being driven by someone from the US

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
Ten years ago I rolled my truck between La Paz and Constitucion. Seat belt worked, I climbed out of the topside door. A Mexican couple was behind me and both ran up to me and gave me needed hugs. My camper shell was off, camping and fishing gear strewn on the highway. Every Mexican vehicle stopped, picked up my stuff and the broken camper shell. Not one would accept any money for their help. A trucker used a chain to flip my truck over and dragged it off the road. So many people checked on my welfare and offered to contact authorities where they were going. Point of this is: between 8 - 10 US plated vehicles (most California) drove by without stopping in spite of my California plate aimed out at the road.

To continue, a tow truck arrived, deemed a Federal highway and couldn't tow, but wanted payment anyway. A second Federally authorized towtruck arrived and used my socket set to drop driveline. Meanwhile a Federal police arrived and wanted $200 to make a report and NOT impound the truck. He would not take a traveler's check. I rode with the tow truck driver, first stop was for gas (on me). Second stop was for beer (on me). Then on to our house in Todos Santos where the truck was stored until a local bought it for parts (but fixed everything and it is on the road to this day). Neighbors greeted us (we had just left) and wondered why I was smiling and so happy. Upside down on the highway, wonderful Mexican folks helping, and another Baja experience with really no real serious harm done. Had a Ballena of beer and went to sleep and rode back to states with a friend.

We always stop, carry a first aid kit, and try to help in any way we can. As the recipient of the compassion and assistance of the Mexican people, I can do no less.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:14 AM

Waving on dirt roads dates back to the 60s for me and my family trips. It was the thing to do... make friends with everyone you encounter, as there were so few. There were days on the main road between Ensenada and La Paz that you would not encounter another car all day.

Waving was a special thing and perhaps these 'new friends' may pass you again on your trip... maybe they could help if you broke down? It was just the thing to do.

Once the highway was built, people passed by too fast and the highway was so narrow, you took a big risk to lose your concentration to wave or look for their wave.

However, to this day, I still wave when I pass others going the opposite direction on dirt roads, most wave back. If I come to a vehicle stopped on the road, I roll down the window and ask if they are ok or need help. This remains a natural act for me, and I do it for any nationality.

If there is an accident, and others are already on the scene, and if you have no special additional skills to offer, there is no point in adding to the congestion on the road. I am sorry for this mother's accident... but if she and her babies were wrapped in blankets and attended to, what more could be done by American tourists, does she think?
Because of the inReach satellite 2-way communicator, one can now offer help to let family or the insurance company know of an accident.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:40 AM

"if she and her babies were wrapped in blankets and attended to, what more could be done by American tourists, does she think?"
Doing more than what is apparent in the first seconds of observation is to be determined. Shame on those who didn't even inquire. Even emotional support - the children were clearly traumatized, maybe in shock - their mother bleeding and trying to control the situation when she needed care herself.
I had a blowout on the highway once - bent rim - limped along at 4 mph until I could get to a place to pull off the highway. Calif. plated gringos whizzed by, not even glancing at me. A Mexican in a truck with his wife and child came along, passed slowly; they pulled off and waited for me; asked if I needed help. I accepted his offer, and turns out my jack was missing (what happened to it in the intervening 5 years while I owned the car is a mystery) - he used his own. At first glance, a lady with a flat tire. The fact was I was unable to change the tire, it was about 4 pm and would be dark in an hour.
Thanks to the compassionate few who make a difference.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 12:28 PM

You are correct Don Jorge. This probably because Most people years ago drove slower and were not afraid to wave while on the hwy, there is much more traffic today, and the USA travelers of yesteryear were friendlier and not as intent on immediately getting to their destination.. I Why stare straight ahead without eye contact...I don't know nless people are just plain afraid.
ThisGypsyPath

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 12:48 PM

Thanks so much for sharing my story here Jorge! What a fun surprise it was to see traffic from Baja Nomad coming to my blog.

For those saying they wouldn't have stopped because traffic was too congested or I looked like I was taken car of....or I think one commenter questioned what I could have possibly needed from an American tourist if I was already taken care of. I think if you had really read the part of my blog that Jorge shared that it is pretty clear what I was contemplating when discussing the lack of expat help.

I was simply pondering and understand it.

"There must have been at least ten Americans that drove past during this time. I even eerily made eye contact with one women as I held my babies and counted, and they slowly drove past. Not one American stopped to help. Not one. Would you have stopped? I ask myself that everyday now. I don't know if I would have before all of this. I didn’t need them. I speak Spanish. But it sure would have been a comfort. I still can’t believe that so many Americans drove past and not one stopped."

I say that I don't know if I would have stopped before this accident. I also state that I didn't need them, but I also say that it would have been a comfort.

There was no place to pull over where we crashed. We were there for at least two hours. My helpers came and went. Not all the people that stopped stayed the entire time. Those driving the road had to slow down and drive around the vehicles parked in the road.

Collecting all of my stuff was crazy. There was a ton of debate with the people helping on what to do with my things so that it wouldn't get stolen. They were very concerned that the cop would steal my things...which inevitably, he did make off with the car registration, my very nice sleeping bags, and this super cool king-kong shovel. (Our experience going to all the police stations from Guerrero Negro to San Quintin and tow yard in Punta Prieta is story in itself! Perhaps I will blog about it next.)

Am American stopping could have checked to see if I spoke enough Spanish. An American could have collected my things and checked them into a hotel for me. An American could have just asked me if I was going to be okay. They could have even asked all of this without leaving their vehicles.

In the past I may have driven by, I don't think I would have...but I may have. Hard to say. I can say, that in the future, I will stop for anyone that looks distressed and simply ask, "Are you okay? Can I help and do you need anything?"

And Jorge...I am all about bringing the wave back to hwy 1!

Lets start a trend my Baja loving friends!
ThisGypsyPath

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 12:54 PM

Oh! And David K!

I have blue eyes, bright blonde hair and overall look Northern European. My three year old has red hair and my daughter has blonde hair. Our truck had California plates. I think it was pretty obvious we were not Native Spanish speakers. The Mexicans that helped immediately asked me if I spoke Spanish and they tried to speak english with me. I am blessed that I speak fluent Spanish and would I assert that I speak more than the average American traveling down there. I was able to communicate very easily with everyone...but knowing how much Spanish most of the American travelers speak down in Baja...I would think that most Americans would have at least wondered if I was able to communicate.
Enrique2012
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 01:00 PM

Don Jorge, I would be OUTRAGED (IF... I were you or your friend).

Solution: Stop going to Baja.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 01:18 PM

Who really cares whether an American or a Mexican stops to help or whether they speak English or Spanish. It doesn't take a lot of communication to tell if someone is hurt. If you want comfort from someone in your native tongue I can understand since you are a woman. Me I just wanted to get it over with and deal with the results, ie: do I need an ambulance, tow truck or a friend to help me.

ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 01:19 PM

Don Jorge:

I find your post untrue, racial, narrow-minded, does a lot more harm than good. To claim Americans traveling in Baja won't stop to help you and are unfriendly is a bunch of crap.

And as for the wave game, grow up, that's quite childish.
ThisGypsyPath

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 01:29 PM

TMW.

I wrote that I didn't need them to stop.

If you read the entire blog post you will see that the post really isn't about Americans not stopping. It was simply an observation. There is no anger or disappointment behind it.

My blog post...well, it's more about facing the trauma from the experience of the accident and feeling gratitude for the wonderful people who DID help me. And also my awe of highway 1. The ironic thing about this post regarding my accident...is that the two posts before that were about finding freedom when facing fear and also the joys of Baja! So it was really crazy that I was then faced with ultimate terror of seeing my life and those of my kids flash before me. It was a rude awakening in my ways.

Hopefully you take a moment to read the blog in it's entirety. Have a beautiful day.

www.thisgypsypath.com
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 02:00 PM

Gypsy-- very happy you and your family are OK and will heal.
Seems like every month since Nov., there is another accident story. Glad they are being reported, it reminds all drivers to be careful.
About the wave thing---- sometimes on the road, but ALWAYS on the water!!!

"When you catch a fish, you open the door of happiness."
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 03:43 PM

I have assisted many (Gringos and Mexicans alike) after accidents on the MEX1. Forgot the details of most by now.
The last one was a Nomad couple with cat. Only the police some truckers and I were on scene. And the same story. None of the foreign cars on the road stopped while I was there. Not even the nice people I had breakfast with in Cataviña.

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ThisGypsyPath  
Oh! And David K!

I have blue eyes, bright blonde hair and overall look Northern European. My three year old has red hair and my daughter has blonde hair. Our truck had California plates. I think it was pretty obvious we were not Native Spanish speakers. The Mexicans that helped immediately asked me if I spoke Spanish and they tried to speak english with me. I am blessed that I speak fluent Spanish and would I assert that I speak more than the average American traveling down there. I was able to communicate very easily with everyone...but knowing how much Spanish most of the American travelers speak down in Baja...I would think that most Americans would have at least wondered if I was able to communicate.

Welcome to Baja Nomad! Sorry that it took such an awful event to get you here!

My comments were to try and figure out what was the need for even more people to stop at an accident scene if the victims (you and your children) were already being cared for.

Often, too many Looky-Lou's cause problems for emergency response and cause additional accidents. The color of your hair is hardly a reason for anyone to decide to stop or not, so please don't think that is an issue in Mexico. There are many blond and red-haired Mexicans... that don't speak a word of English, no matter what they look like. Could cars driving by even see you long enough or your license plates, if your race or nationality was even a real reason to stop or not?

The fact is that you are here now and able to tell us what happened. I will read the 'rest of the story' in your blog. Thank you for speaking to us and we are so glad you are well.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.