BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Not one American stopped to help. Not one.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 04:49 PM

Just read the rest (all) of the story...

Wonderful writing of the event and all the other details missing from the portion that was posted by Don Jorge, here. Reading the whole story, I don't get any of the negatives that were highlighted at the top of this thread.

The line from your blog about Americans not stopping, that was left out of the quote above, kind of says a lot and to our relief: "I didn’t need them. I speak Spanish."

Again, what a nice blog about your home in San Juanico and the drive north across the salt flats to San Ignacio and beyond. You really enforce how important good tires are to staying healthy if you still believe it was a front blow-out that caused your Tundra to leave the highway and roll.

I think you should consider writing a book about your (all too) exciting life!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Rossman
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:01 PM

I happened to be first on scene of a head on between Mex 5 (Chapala) and the BOLA cutoff last October and I certainly did not have the same experience as the OP is relating. There was not much traffic and probably 10 minutes went by before anyone came by. A gringo on a bicycle stopped and helped extricate one of the victims with a leg pinned under the dash. Another gringo couple who were traveling north took the injured guy with an obvious broken leg, back south to Punta Prieta to report the accident and then on to GN for medical assistance. Tow truck showed up 40 minutes later from Punta Prieta and the driver was an absolute A hole to anyone who would slow down and offer assistance. Gringo or Mexican. This went on for a full hour until one of the gringos on scene had had enough and got a baseball bat out of his truck and encouraged the tow truck driver to get back in his truck and shut the eff up. Belongings were scattered along 300 feet of highway and several folks were helping to gather valuables into a pile. The biggest travesty was that I was there for 3 hours and the Federalis had not shown up. At that point, since there were plenty of folks more qualified than me to help out, and since I did not actually witness the accident, I left. When not being harassed by the tow truck driver, almost every vehicle would ask if they could help. Gringos asked the gringos on scene and Mexicans asked the Mexicans on scene.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 05:27 PM

this might be worth a separate thread - the tow truck operator of the junk yard at Parador Punta Prieta.
He has used one of my distress situations to help himself to a lot of money.

Harald Pietschmann
BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 08:32 PM

I'm glad to hear you and the kids are ok, That said you were going way to fast for the conditions.
I did read your entire blog, for what its worth.

You seem to to have a deep prejudice towards Americans, Why is that?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 10:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Who really cares whether an American or a Mexican stops to help or whether they speak English or Spanish. It doesn't take a lot of communication to tell if someone is hurt. If you want comfort from someone in your native tongue I can understand since you are a woman. Me I just wanted to get it over with and deal with the results, ie: do I need an ambulance, tow truck or a friend to help me.

Tom, I don't think a person's desire for support is just a female thing...anymore than indifference and focusing on problem-solving is just a male thing.

You admit to wanting a friend to help you in such a situation....it was a form of "help" she was hoping for perhaps as the only friend's nearby were the ones who stopped to offer assistance.

Don't believe everything you think....
ThisGypsyPath

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 10:21 PM

4x4abc Yes. Grua Lopez has a reputation.

BeemerDan. I agree. I was going too fast. I grew too comfortable on the road. I don't think I give the pretense that I didn't make mistakes.

As far as the prejudice. Yes..I am currently in a space where I am looking at American culture from a very critical viewpoint. I certainly won't deny it. I am not from Orange County, but I have lived in Orange County for a long time. And it's draining. I think I am pretty honest and clear about in all of my blog posts as well.

Thanks for reading!

David K! Thanks so much for reading. I am currently writing a book!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 10:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  
I'm glad to hear you and the kids are ok, That said you were going way to fast for the conditions.

Some folks folks jumping all over the victim of misfortune here..."sad".

BD, have you read her full blog account of the incident? I see no evidence of prejudice towards Americans in it....she only mentioned many drove by and that the hospital admitting procedures were not as complicated as those in the States...

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by motoged]

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:01 PM

Ged, Of course I read the entire incident on Sarah's blog and then some.
Try it again without the blinders on and maybe you'll see my point.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:06 PM

No need to be insulting, Dan. What blinders do you think I have on?

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2017 at 11:22 PM

Ged, you see what you want to see, I read Sarah's entire blog, and her reply to this forum pretty much summed it up.

I read a book by its cover extremely well, You hate Americans, You always have, except when it suits you. I'm sad to say.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 12:59 AM

So you read a book by it's cover, you say. Good for you and your primary reading skills.

I read a book by it's contents....

I don't know why you accuse me of hating Americans.

I have no problem acknowledging that I don't have much use or respect for the Trump style of the American consciousness...the "ugly American" persona that a lot of my American friends also find distasteful (some of whom are Nomads) and are embarrassed by.

With your comments here, I got past your cover.

It's ironic that I didn't see any American-hating sentiment in the bloggers comments, but you somehow dredged that perspective from her writing. If I was American-hating, I might have pounced on the opportunity to support your paranoid perception and go at it....rather, I tried to dispel thenotion.

Sounds like you are the guy with an attitude problem...

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by motoged]

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 05:52 AM

I had a roll over accident (female, driving solo) a number of years ago between Guerro Negro and Vizcaino. many people stopped to help. frankly I can't remember the nationalities except that the first on the scene were Mexican and now that I think about it, I have no idea where they parked, but there definitely was zero shoulder and no place to pull off. I never wondered about the nationality of my angels and who they were/why they stopped nor thought about what else they could have done for me...I was just happy and blessed that they came to my aid.

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by rhintransit]

[Edited on 4-12-2017 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 07:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BeemerDan  

If Ged has "a deep prejudice" against Americans he hides it well when you are around him in person.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:19 AM

Kurt,
Nope, wasn't hiding anything....you might have had a sense of my "opinionatedness" ...which I don't hide very well....:biggrin:

I posted my comments about the blogger before I read her post acknowledging her critical review of her national brethren...and did so in an effort to offer some form of support regarding what seemed to be an assumptive challenge.

I will let her espouse more on the theme of her critical second-thinking about her fellow countrymen/women.

Any Nomad who has met me personally is way more justified to be judging me than the keyboard warriors who haven't....and I will leave it all with that.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 09:42 AM

I have hoped to meet you Ged. We have both off roaded with the same folks, just not together. Oh, and I don't hate Canada, either! Okay, eh?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 10:17 AM

Ged is pretty cool!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 10:19 AM

He does make a pretty good margarita, no make that a great margarita.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 10:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I have hoped to meet you Ged. We have both off roaded with the same folks, just not together. Oh, and I don't hate Canada, either! Okay, eh?

Yah, fershure yabetcha.....oops, that's North Dakota....:biggrin:

Maybe our trails will cross some Baja day, David....when I am oot and aboot in the dez...

Just spent my first full winter there and just got back to the frozen wastelands last week....best 5 months of the past 25 years !

Not a "hater"....just sometimes outspoken :coolup:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 02:15 PM

I think the point I get out of this situation is that even if many are helping, the stress of an accident makes you want to converse in your own language. And it surely would have made the kids more comfortable in this predicament. I will remember this in the future.

If I feel comfortable when I am on my own, T stop and ask if I can help. Once I was asked to call family here in La Bocana once I made it to San Ignacio. Another time, help was on the way but they had no food nor water, so I gave them both.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2017 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Once the highway was built, people passed by too fast and the highway was so narrow, you took a big risk to lose your concentration to wave or look for their wave.
This is exactly my thought. I try to stay focused like a laser beam on the road at all times - no way I am looking at oncoming drivers to wave, etc. Also carry no dog or passengers to distract. I need all the help I can get!!!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.